SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My local hobby store began carrying slots about 2 years ago. It ranges from Tomy AFX to Carrera and SCX. After discussing things with them, they began carrying Scalextric Sport and cars as well. Well to make a long story short, they only sell slots well around Christmas. Soooo, they have a lot of inventory. Not too sure what they were getting into I'm afraid. I offered to help them with figuring out what to put on sale, discussed dropping SCX track since the sets aren't selling at all, and that 3 lines is too much to carry for a small niche in this town.

I've offered to build them a portable track for shows, etc. as well as a small track for the store. Since they are on limited space, they originally wanted a temporary track only. But after seeing pics of my layout and discussing the fact that the best way to "hook" someone is to let them try it (ok, it worked on me...), they've asked me to do a permanent layout! They also wanted something with "WOW" power. The layout has to be small and fit on a 3.5x8 foot table. So, I based the following layout on it accordingly.

Today I picked up all the goods to build the track and let my kids have at it. It began with the Cooper Scalextric Sport set with a few extra track parts. The Mini's are an absolute blast. The kids loved it, and weren't bored with the track. They were also able to navigate it easily - something manditory for an in-store track.

To fullfill the "WOW" factor, the track will be scenic'd and will include several Scaley accessories like the grandstands, pit buildings, and Goodyear bridge. I'm also going to write up a follow-along article on this particular one, so the average buyer won't feel this isn't something they can't do.

Am I crazy for taking this on? No. I think this will open the hobby up more for folks that might not normally think about it.

Anyway, I'll post further and let you know how it goes. In the meantime, here's a shot of the kids having at it...

David

·
DT
5,195 Posts
This looks like a fun project.

Remember that someone trying for the first time usually flies off the first corner and off the table, so plan a system to catch the cars.

I see that you still have some of your grey latex pieces. The ones that were painted too thick?

Keep us posted with photos.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nuro,

There will be a catch system in place as I'm afraid of the same issue.

The track is actually left over from Pastime Raceway's first Sport layout. The store was out of 2 curves and has more on order so I used those temporarily.

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Nice to hear of a retailer prepared to give it some effort, not just stock, up sit back, and then moan about the lack of sales.

Hmmm, although it appears you are doing the hard graft.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Having seen David's posts on his own track, I have no doubt that he is doing the store a HUGE favor! Although I am useless at the landscaping aspect of tracks, I think an attractively finished demo circuit is at least as effective as high detail cars in its ability to attract attention from would-be slot racers.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, here's where we are after 10 hours of work; table and legs built, track hard mounted, sculptamold in, rumble strips on, and just about ready for paint and turf.

Hopefully this will suck a few more potential customers over to the dark side of slots!

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts