SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a permanent track (Scalextric Sport) in my loft in the coming months. I have been playing around with layout designs with my temporary track for about a year now and have finally settled on this one..

I've set up a similar temporary track (not as long, need more track!)...

and its seems to offer a great challenge of difficult turns ranging from R1 hairpin to R4 and also incoporates a fairly long straight followed by some R3 curves (these will be banked on the permanent layout).

This will be my first permanent layout and think I've thought of everything, what do you think?

Marlon.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Looks good. A nice mix of curves. I’m a fan of S-bends and wider bends after straights so I like the Mulsanne/Brooklands Banking section. Careful on the banking there: having somewhere to hang the tail out can be fun.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Reminded me of Brands Hatch at a glance. Given the space available I think I would have gone for an even longer main straight but what you have is fine and it does lead nicely into some fast turns.

If you've developed the track over a long period of time and like it then go for it! It certainly offers all sorts of scenic possibilities.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Looks Excellent Marlon, and should be fun to drive. I'm still undecided about R1 curves even the ones you're using. I have a pack to try so I might set up a layout this coming weekend.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 6 Oct 2004, 17:10)I'm still undecided about R1 curves even the ones you're using. I have a pack to try so I might set up a layout this coming weekend.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alan, initially I tried to use the standard R1 curves but found the inside lane too hard to negotiate on a 180 bend and still enjoy it, inside borders are also a must when using the longer wheelbase cars. The hairpin R1's for me just give that extra bit of room and increase in radius to be OK. It still took a bit of getting used to but I enjoy this part of the track now. Also the R1's on this circuit have really helped to fit as much track in as possible into the space I have. The hair pin is where most of the 'problems
' arise especially after the fast R3/R4 curves and that's why on the permanent layount its positioned at the front of the circuit (within easy reach) and I'm going to make this section slightly up hill which I hope will help with the braking effect on some of my heavier resin cars.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Marlon

After I had written my last post I thought I had better go and try out these curves.

I've got to say they are a lot better than I expected and don't seem to pose any problems in getting even larger cars, like the Slot.it New Man Porsche around them.

The only problem I have found is that the slot appears to be slightly narrower than on Radius II and above, which did cause a problem with my trailing guide cars. I thought it might just be on the particular track section that I had, so I tried another, same problem. It can of course, be sorted out fairly easily by reprofiling the guide, but it does seem strange. Has anyone else had this problem?. Incidently the TSRF Guides work very well with it, much better than any other make.

I will definitely consider using them in my permenant layout as, like you rightly say, they are very useful for maximising the amount of track you can lay.

Thanks for stirring me into action!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Great looking layout! As JohnP says plenty of scenic opportunities too, should you wish to do so.

I immediately thought of Brands Hatch too.
Hairpins can be good; Pendle's routed track has a challenging hairpin which adds to the fun IMHO.

Best of luck - my loft needs quite a bit more doing to it before I get a track up there

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I see Brands hatch too. Should race well as that is also a favourite slot track design (or anything close to it) of mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts