Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Who is the helicopter pilot that did the flying???
Some serious "G" being pulled there. Expert stuff!

Jokes aside, very sweet and nice lovely cars.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes quite an achievement if you consider I was wearing my thongs at the time and stepping over the cattle dog who decided to sleep on the floor near the bridge.

The cars are running around the track on a fixed 3.5 to 4 volts so I'm surprised how quick they appear to be going when during filming they seemingly crawl along.
What a shame I never had time to film the Goodwood track fully layed out.
Make sure you pester me for the Avus.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
If you really want to film this well, and you're a handy DIRer (and your track is proof of that), build a rail that can be suspended above the track and mount the camera on the rail. I've often though about doing this. You would need a few rails to follow the different parts of the track and then some neat editing to tie it all together, but imagine filming a few inches away from the car and imagine going over from one side to the other, in-front of or behind the car.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Super video, great to see those cars running, especially around a track which does them justice! Does anyone else think that the few seconds after 0.43secs, looks like the run down to Tabac at Monaco?

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Really well done, especially as you were wearing that bright green thong swimwear.
I'm interested to know how you did that without the usual jerky footsteps. A wheelchair pushed by a fellow slotter is also a good way of getting a smooth follow shot.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Brilliant to look at. Great cars and a really nice track. now all I got to do is get rid of the image of the thong.

Cheers

Athrlyth

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,277 Posts
Expertly shot vid and another great looking track. I enjoyed reading about the Goodwood build, but have totally missed this build.

Must catch up.

Please put them all out of their misery, they all seem to think your thongs are a mankini, not flip flops

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks mate. Glad everyone is enjoying the vid.
If you look again, the Fangio Maserati has been "weathered" because it just happened to be within arms length while I was painting a plane one day, so Juan copped a spray as well.
Just taking the shine off the Maserati looks great for the vid I think.

Also the bit when Joe Siffert crashes leaving Graham Hill to continue on. ( 1:47secs) It happens in a blink.

Yes Mate, thongs are worn on your feet in Australia, I think 'flip flops ' is an American term. They've always been thongs here, part of our culture, and we use them to gauge an Australians masculinity.
Some of the tests include,
1/ getting into a nightclub with a dress code whilst adorned with a pair 'cause the three guys on the door are too scared to say anything.
2/ being able to mow wet lawn while wearing thongs as the surface area between the soles of your feet and the top layer of the thongs struggle for any sort of cohesion.
3/ hanging onto your thongs while theres a bunch of New Zealanders staying in your house eating everything in the fridge and bothering the cat for love.
4/ blonde girls who wear white thongs at the beach are of questionable virtue. Green lipstick also gives it away, you know, red means stop , green means...

I could go on...

Might do another shorter one with more cars soon.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,277 Posts
Priceless! In south Wales, everyone has them on from April to October, then you can spot the "Valley Commandos" they are the only dull buggers wearing them in the snow. (Think it makes them a surf dude, or something).

How did you do that weathering? Looks good and I've got an airbrush arriving soon - I predict several booggered up paint jobs in the near future.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Snurfen, heres the image I was after. The plane in the background was being weathered and as I said Juan was close by. I just mixed up some paint, mostly a dusty colour, and just gave him a light spray across the windshield and the back. The spray guns make it simple.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Amazing video and track.

Filming always makes the cars look like they are going crazily fast, this is a turn off for me. In your video this is not the case because as you said they were going only at 4V!!!

What is the reason for the cars looking so fast? Is it because our tracks no matter how big they are still too small to represent 1-1 layouts? Too many curves, scenery not really to scale?

I would like to find a way to diminish this effect. I am in fact a bit discouraged by the fact that you said that you cars were at 4V and just crawling on the track. This means that it will be pretty difficult to resolve this issue.

PS. I will look into your threads for ideas and inspiration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts