SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
I want to buy 4 cars that...

1) would be suitable to race against each other (ie: same car class and similar performance)
2) would fit a Scorpius chip
3) the guide will work with the Carrera lane change return switch (not really a deal breaker, since I could always buy Slot.it wood guides if necessary)

All I have at the moment is 4 DTM cars and 4 F1 cars. So something in between those would be nice.

PS - My budget is about $250

·
Greg Gaub
14,655 Posts
Rick runs NSR cars, but $250 won't get you four of those.
How about 4 slot.it cars? 4 Group C cars would be easy. You could even get 4 different colors to reduce car confusion. They also have a good number of Modern GT cars and Classics to choose from.
Depending on model and price, $250 would just about cover 4 slot.it cars.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Just on the Professor Motor website right now looking at those... Even with shipping, buying from the US online is cheaper than buying locally

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Or take a look at:

electricdreams.com

Even from germany i bought cars and decoders from them, fast shipping and never issues with custom clearence.

Try Carrera Evolution cars like you have already.
I have 40 cars at home, Ninco and Carrera seems to be in your budget.
I just chipped two formula 1 cars Pro-X, it´s a mess....especially the LED distance and angel to the track is so difficult.
If you can install the IR LED as close to the guide as possible it helps.
But in a formula 1 there´s not so much car around the guide....

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Cars are obviously personal choice but as I like non magnet racing for me it narrows it down to NSR, Ninco, Slot.it and Avant Slot.

If you like magnet racing then just about any brand will do the trick.

Have fun

Rick

·
Registered
881 Posts
I used to magnet race, but now I've switched to non-mag, since the cars tend to flow better and don't "snap" loose when sliding around corners and suddenly lose magnetic traction. I'm think I'm leaning towards Slot.it cars since they seem to be of good quality and are not too expensive. I definitely need to get the Ford GT40 with the Gulf colour scheme... that's my favourite car of all time.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My personal 2 cts...

I'm collecting road going cars of all brands. Carrera, Ninco, Slot.it, Auto Art, Scalextric - and even the more exotic brands like Proteus, Teamslot, Proslot, Cartrix...
On our Xmas track, the last weeks we had the most fun - and most intense racing - with simple, affordable, comparable and durable Scalextric cars.
Most modern Scalextrics are DPR - digital plug ready - which means there's always room for a decoder behind the front wheels, with wiring nicely grouped together. Easy to install a decoder.

I know these cars are no stunning performers, or tuneable high-end slotcars like NSR or Slot.it - but to me they perform very pleasantly after some basic TLC like secure trueing of hubs and tyres, a drop of oil in the right places, some lead in the front (and magnets out).
Part of the joy i find precisely in the effort to get an avarage Scalextric car to perform at its optimum, with basic wheels, tyres and running gear.
The speed of a standard 18K Mabuchi i find more than enough, or in other words: just right in fact. And when i compare a std Carrera with a std Scalextric car, i find - after the basic TLC treatment - the last one a more pleasant drive. Wheels and hubs easier to true, lots of replacement parts if needed, affordable price. Both brands carry a standard mabuchi, but the Scalex cars seem to have a bit more grippy feel and more braking.

My 12 year old daughter refuses to race any car but her own "crash resistant" low budget Scalextric Porsche, while it's having nicely trued tyres, standard yet silent smooth running gear. And i must say, she drives it with skill - not easy to overtake at all, even with a higher classified car like a Ninco Lambo Gallardo.
In short, we were having truly a lot of racing fun with a line up of standard Scalextric cars.

Oh and btw: all of the above mentioned car brands i raced the last weeks (i have 21 chipped cars now). All of them could pass and push back the Carrera LC switch, i didn't need to change any guide flag of any car.

Merc

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the pictures, it looks like there's lots of room in the Slot.it LeMans cars for the chip. Is the driver figure or anything else in the way of mounting the chip behind the front axle?

·
Greg Gaub
14,655 Posts
I agree with Merc. Racing magless does not require "NSR, Ninco, Slot.it and Avant Slot" cars. Any car can not only be driven magless with a little basic prep, but driven well. Nothing wrong with NSR and that lot, of course. They're not the only cars that run well magless, though, nor does using other brands require the use of magnets.

Most slot.it cars will have plenty of room for the Scorpius chip, since they have a spot on the floor for their own chips. Older cars can sometimes need some work to the interior, though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the input. Certainly lots to think about! My main reason for leaning towards Slot.it is because a couple of friends want to pitch-in and buy me 4 cars for my 40th b-day (which was last June!) LOL (will I get 5 cars for my 50th!?)

Since they are splurging and want to by me some "fancy" cars, I figured Slot.it cars would be a good choice (they have set the budget to $250)

It's very true that you don't need fancy cars for some good (fun) racing and I've really enjoyed racing cheap little Mini Coopers before. The next batch of cars will be bought with my own $$$, so I'm sure then I will be looking at what Scalextric, Ninco, Carrera have to offer...

Can anyone tell me if these Slot.it cars would race well together? Specifically, would the Ford or McLaren keep up with the others?
- Ford GT40
- Mercedes Sauber C9
- McLaren F1 GTR
- Audi R8C
- Nissan R390
- Porsche 962KH

·
Greg Gaub
14,655 Posts
Well, the GT40 is a sidewinder and short wheelbase. As such, whether it's "faster" than the others depends on the layout. I think inline cars will have a higher top speed with the same motor, though, since they have less teeth on the gear than sidewinders. So, in a long straight, the inlines will catch up.
The others are all inline and long-ish wheelbase and will be more or less equal. Some will come with offset pods, but for magless this doesn't seem to make much difference, at least not to my clearly unrefined tastes. ;-) The only one I don't have one of is the McLaren and Aid R8C, but unless you get a RAW version, they'll still be inline.
If you care about historic racing accuracy, then that mix won't do. But, I don't personally care so long as the cars look cool. Call it a revival track day. ;-)

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Theres no rights or wrongs here Greg, just personal taste asnd opinions.

Like most things you generally you get what you pay. And of course how fast you want to go

For non mag I will only buy cars specifically designed for non mag use. Thats just me. Generally the engineering is very different.

Some are designed for box sets, collectables, others for pure competition. Id rather buy 2 fast cars than 4 not so fast cars with the same money

You can buy car X or car Y for $40 more. Then by the time you bring car X up to car Ys performance you just spent $50 and 2 hours tuning it. Give me car Y please

But if youre building up a class as long as all 4 cars are evenly matched thats all that matters.

Rick

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info Greg. I very much doubt any car could reach top speed on my track unless it's in learner mode
Here's a link to my current layout: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=667242

Thanks Rick. Yes, my main goal is to have 4 cars that are evenly matched. I'm hoping that there is 4 matched cars in that list I posted above. Not historically accurate, but who cares when they look so nice

·
Greg Gaub
14,655 Posts
QUOTE (injectorman @ 24 Jan 2012, 19:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But if youre building up a class as long as all 4 cars are evenly matched thats all that matters.

And that is the most important thing.

QUOTE (h00ch @ 24 Jan 2012, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks a lot for the info Greg. I very much doubt any car could reach top speed on my track unless it's in learner mode
Here's a link to my current layout: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=667242

I'm hoping that there is 4 matched cars in that list I posted above. Not historically accurate, but who cares when they look so nice

Ah, yes, a nice short layout. Definitely more about driving than speed on that one.
It's hard to say if the GT40 would be outside the pack or not.
I say, just get the 4 cars you like the look of the best, and enjoy!
Since you don't have any, I'd suggest one of each type, so a classic (GT40), Group C, Modern GT, and if you can wait for it, their new LMP Lola coming out soon.
That way you get a feel for each type of car, both body and chassis type/motor mount, that they offer.
With performance cars like those, the drivers will make much more difference to the outcome of the race than the cars will.

And for the record, I don't dump money into cars to turn them into pseudo-slot.it/NSR cars. If that's what I wanted, I'd just buy the slot.it or NSR. I have slot.its and NSRs, Scalextrics and Nincos and Flys and SCX, etc... I like each type of car for the character and driving experience it offers me.
Everyone sing it with me now... "Everyone is beautifullll.... in their own wayyyyy....."

·
Trevor Gordon
1,465 Posts
I run my scaley General Lee magless, but then I'm not a pro, but I like it. Had to add some weight in the front though. left the back as it has to slide easily, can't be having the general sticking to the road.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
To add to this Hooch, i can tell i also have the two road cars from the Slot.it stable: the road versions of the McLaren and the Nissan 390.
Both have inline motors with plenty of room in the front, behind the front axle.

These two cars are quite a joy to drive straight out of the box, although even Slotits with grub screwed hubs / perfect straight axles need a good trueing of the tyres before putting them on the track.
I found these two quite balanced and competitive amongst eachother (no wonder, both have the same motor, almost the same wheel base, low and wide car shape).
Together with a Ninco Mosler and Team Slot Saleen, both having received slot.it crown gear and metal wheels, they form a nice league of their own in my stable, of long, wide, low and fast cars.

Merc

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that Merc. ...and equally important, plenty of room for the sensor beside the guide!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I've placed my order! I ended up buying 3 GT cars (Nissan, Audi & McLaren) which should be pretty closely matched and also the Ford GT40 in the Gulf colours. I don't know how that will do against the other 3 cars, but I really don't care since I've always loved that car and now I'll finally have one of my own! It's about 32 times smaller than I'd like, but much more affordable and insurance premiums will be much less.
Thanks guys for all your help and views. Once I get my collection growing, it won't be such a hard decision to make, but I think I'm off to a good start.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts