Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ive just recently bought aload of scalextric track the older stuff to make a setup for my 2 youngest gonna be on a 8ftx4ft board and want to hinge it off the wall in spare room how do i fix track to table as it will fall off if i dont was thinking silicone sealant rather than screws so it can expand shrink and be taken off with out damage am i on the right track help apreciated tnx daz

ps from birmingham. england and got the bug again as set up a track last night i got from carboot in day brings back memories and carnt wait to start my build

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Scalextric do produce little tabs that clip on to the track that you then can tack down to the board, or simply just tack straight thru the track to the board. Minimal 'damage' incurred and definetly not enough to affect how the track or cars perform. Good luck and have many hours of fun.

Matt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Scalextric clips only work with the newer Sport track and not the older classic track - Sport track slides together, classic has the loops and pegs.

·
DT
5,195 Posts

I used these on my old Scalextric Sport Track. They are a pain to hammer in and they don't really work well. With the heat in the track room and expansion of the plastic track, the track just popped out.

A better solution was to use silicone sealant attach the track to the plywood - but even that over a year or two came loose. These were issues that convinced me to move to a routed track after a while.

Complete track build here.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
I used a couple of small panel pins on each piece of track.
Layouts been down 25 years & I`ve never had a problem.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Matt[/quote]
cheers matt for the heads up on the tabs
cheers julian for the advice too
cheers doug too for your help
and also to kev /loosesalute

after reading all of yours advice from experience on fixing think i will go with tacking them down with my brad nail gun only after testing pieces first as the layout will be stored vertical so i do need a good fix, then will fix every other piece with a tack here and there and some silicone between will take some pics of build as now its moved from spare room to dinning room wall and i need to make it into a feature when closed up and have a few design surprises in my head , needed to as i had to talk the missus round to the plan but will be something different when closed up and a rally circuit when down thanks all for info will more than likely need alot more help soon atb daz
and wil make a build thread pic loaded starting it tomorrow morning as i bought timber today

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Hi Weetabix.
My old Scaly layout is hinged as it goes into hibernation every winter.
Never had any track fall off or displace.
You just need to tap a couple of small panel pins on the edge of the track.
Cheers.
Kev

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Electric nail gun? Just be careful not to distort the track too much as it will mess up your driving experience

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 26 Oct 2011, 00:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Electric nail gun? Just be careful not to distort the track too much as it will mess up your driving experience

its just a electric stapler that uses small brad nailsthat are 1mm thick and 12mm long if its too powerful will tack it down by hand

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right started my build and took a few pics of first stages but need to know which section do i start to put a thread of my build in point in the right direction please anyone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts