SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm Graham ( "GAK" ), Father of 3 boys - Granddad of 3 and Happily married
I'm a slot car enthusiast, have been since early 1970's. Used to have my own 6 lane circuit etc, until life & bills got in the way.
( will post a couple of pictures when i find them)

Looking to learn more about Routed tracks as I'm thinking of building one for me & my mates, if all goes well then set up a local club ( maybe )
I'm an ex carpenter & have the tools & know how (mostly) just need to read up, dimensions, plans & costs etc.

Any advice would be most welcome, as I've been looking at the oxygen system & its looks good...

If anyone is here from the old Ipswich club, I'd love to hear from you!

Best regards
Gak

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check out the BSCRA.org site under the tech heading. The Track section has a great guide to building a routed track by Chris Frost. I found it extremely helpful in routing my first track last year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Mickey,

Just had a quick look, that should keep me busy for a while ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Graham,

I'm in Ipswich and am happily spending some time with slot cars mostly from the 60s and 70s using old Airfix track in a spare bedroom

If you do get round to thinking about a club track, I would be interested and could give some time / help as I am retired.

My main interest is retro, but willing to be flexible.

Regards

Paul

·
re member
4,095 Posts
Welcome to the fold, Gak.

There are few of us who have built routed tracks.

Please ask questions, pose problems, post photos and enjoy yourself.

Regards

John

ps fellow grandfather here too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Paul & John, Sorry its taken me so long to reply,

Yes im still up for building a track, when this Covid thing is out the way.

Paul, Thanks for the reply & yes I will of course be glad to talk ideas & technical know how.

I have been in touch with a Nigel Harvey from the old Ipswich club, I'm going to contact him again next week once Easter is over
Maybe you know him?

I figured with the demolition of the economy there will be a fair bit office space / buildings /rooms?, to rent out some space at a reasonable rate?
once i know costs & size of space then i can plan better.

John, yes indeed I will be in touch, as per above once we know when covid has passed.
now looking like late summer at a guess.

Thanks guys, stay safe speak soon

Gak

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Munter

I have a few of questions for you or anyone who can answer please

I've watched most of Steve Ogilvie's videos & looked for his work on routed tracks. looks like he's currently doing a new track now this weekend

Which is best a 3mm slot / 1-8th or 4mm? S.O doesn't say directly, but he mentions a 1/8th peg on his router, so must be same slot size to ride in?

My other issue is, "how wide" to make the counter sunk bed for the braids either side of the slot,
should it be 14 or 15mm or wider? I figured 2 x 5mm braids + 3mm for the slot + 1mm gap from the slot if its 3mm

I was using my tungston carbide tipped 3mm fluted cutter which broke after just 1ft of cutting a test slot,
also I noticed S.O router went through his stuff in mere seconds, I'm presuming my cutter was naff as it was dreadfully slow

I have a 3/4" (19mm) slotcar router bit (with a 3mm pivot center to ride in slot) I bought some 17 years ago,
but its seems far to wide leaving some 2mm gap between the edge of the braid and the slot.

Any advice would be most welcome on cutter sizes & how many I may need
or please point me to the right place / people, I have read & printed out the TECH track building manual by Chris Frost & Co

Cheers
Gak

·
Gordon Steadman
6,887 Posts
I reckon 3mm is far too small. 4 or even 5mm will leave the slot big enough to take something like a SlotiT wooden track guide without binding should you decide to have any hairpins. No need to ask how I found that out
smile.png
Next track will be 5mm, as you say, smaller cutters will snap quite easily.

I use copper tape so haven't tried fitting braids. I run analogue only and think magnets are the devil's work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cheers Gordon,

Thats confirmed what I was thinking, but as always, I try to learn from other peoples experiences, before making your own mistakes!

yep I intend to have at least one hairpin & I did wonder if the giude would nip at 1/8th or 3mm, so 4-5mm it shall be... going to get me some tungsten cutters tomorrow & do some test bits
thumbsup.gif

PS would anyone care to suggest for me a a couple of entry level cars to use to test the test track with?
I've only ever used scalextric, so would have to also get a 4 lane capable power unit etc & some throttle controllers... suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may not need this as you already have the carpentry skills but it just might be useful

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184447
Hi Autoavia, I did try clicking the link, but I dont have permissions, not sure what it was I was meant to see?

Here are the latest videos of Steve Ogilvie doing his latest track on his YT channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_mq64jsOgRb-emdQeSmghA/videos

I've found these most useful if you pause & take a screen shot some of them & take notes

Thanks for all the tips & suggestions folks, please do keep'em coming!

·
Autoavia
972 Posts
Hi Autoavia, I did try clicking the link, but I dont have permissions, not sure what it was I was meant to see?
Sorry hadn't been back to this thread for a day or two. Strange that you couldn't use the link but if you go to the Hobby Traders Showroom and click on Flux Productions the second thread on there is a kit for Routing wood slot car tracks. I am completely useless at carpentry but having read about the kit I reckon even I could tackle a wood track with it.

Like I said if you have good carpentery skills it may not be for you but probably worth a look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't find "Flux Productions"... not there or im somehow missing it?

OK Quick update on my track build situ:

Got 13 sheets of 12mm MDF
4 sheets of 6mm MDF
4by2 wood & long bolts etc for bolt together joints, will rip to 3by2 & tongue & groove this week,

Have been making my tools, have made the legs, router jigs,
radius arm jigs, [email protected] 4ft, other 8ft for a large arc curve and run some simple test cuts etc,

finally got my cam followers today in post so can now finish the router jig ready for the outside bend first slot cuts.

I will get round to uploading some pics sometime, (I've also been taking some video to document the build)

thanks for all the tips & info folks, esp the Nice Chap from Norwich who i spoke with today
thumbsup2.gif

Gak

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a few pictures of test pieces, all lanes routed out as good as I'd hoped for distance & accuracy all good,
even tried a biscuit joint which is very strong & will be used on some non standard corners over 8ft in diameter.
though I wouldnt recommend on a high degree banked turn.

I've never built anything like this so its a good challenge making my own router Jig and cutting out the slots
20200627_202104.jpg

track joint nice n tight

20200627_202234.jpg

main joints assembled
20200621_115648.jpg

Just a quick knock up to see how the braid would sit, depth (30 thou from track surface as recommended)
a coat of old magnolia to add some grip for my test run of the tightest bend, as I dont want a "slow lane" if I can help it.
20200716_164711.jpg

not a great example of a biscuit joint but it shows one half of the joint

20200713_193320.jpg

just looking for a venue now so I can get on with the build & calculate size shape etc,
Im in contact with several people at the moment so looks promising

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The router Jig, its a bit of a "Heath Robinson" but it works well

8 & 10mm perspex, doubled up for extra strength for the 13mm cam followers to screw in deep & tight which follow the outside of the track
& the pins to ride in the slots for cutting the remaining slots. You'll notice the extra bit added on the end, I miscalculated the width of the followers for
a 6 inch gutter, we learn by our mistakes!

20200602_170418.jpg

another view from underneath
20200602_165215.jpg

I have taken some video too, but I haven't had any time to put on YT yet to upload, may do when the project is finished

Attachments

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Looking great!

I dont live too far away in Essex from you. Im currently building a 3 lane wood track. I find that routing the middle lane then pushing some hard board into that slot to act as guide for the other 2 lanes is working great. My router base is exactly the same width as scalextric track so this works well.

Check out my build here https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196997#entry2363525

And let me know once you're set up as I would come over to race!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts