SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the past three hours surfing the net attempting to learn more about slot car racing. From what I have gathered I have found that a 1 64 solution is perhaps the worst long term investment one can make due to many reasons. However I am limited with real estate because I live in an apartment and this would be a perfect touch to my Nascar room. I will personally build the table for which the slot cars will race on but need some help choosing a viable solution to accomodate my needs but still leave me begging for more! I have found slot machines that require pit stops and would like to include this into my track system. However I have onl found 1 32 solutions...does anyone know of any 1 64 solutions?!? Another issue I have read about 1 64 tracks are the speeds of the track....are there solutions available limiting the speeds on the track so they don't fly off and land in the doggie bowl?!? Also from what I have read I am really wanting to go with a digital solution....does anyone know any for the 1 64 scale cars?!? As an added bonus....does anyone in here make 1 64 scale slot cars for the digital package that would be interested in providing my broke tail with a quote on the following drivers: Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Elliott Sadler, Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Joe Nemechek (U.S. Army) Thanks for all your help and hope to have many posts here : )

Ray

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome to SF!
I think I undertsand your questions.
You'd like a decent track but are limited by the space available- like many others.
I'm just guessing that you're a stock car racing fan.
And it's confusing about all of the digital race systems available.

You're not the only one this is a dilemma with most people.
Don't worry there are great choices there's just too many.
You should consider HO (1/64 scale) but ther eis no lane changing digital system available. Yes some of the cars use very strong traction magetns so when the cars come off they go flying acroos the room but there are other alternatives, like the thunder Jet 500 cars that have been re-introduced by Johnny Lightning along with AFX Magna Traction type cars. But most of the race sets have poor power and control so it will need to be upgraded.

You should also consider a 1/32 scale track by Artin or Scalextric. A small oval can be a lot of fun even if it's only eight feet long. If you'd like current NASCAR cars you will have to wait until next spring or you can make your own with some of the decals available.

How much space do you have?

Currently there are no pit-stops available but I would think someone wil make one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the informative response! In response to my available real estate I do at present have approximately 10' x 4' available for the track. I would like to construck a track that isn't just a basic oval track but would prefer something with some high speed turns and that is why I figured I would have to go with a 1 64 solution. I have visited many speedway sites and will construct the table to accomodate such a smaller but yet still fun solutio for me and my friends to race on during commercials during the race....and there are a lot...lol I have found one pit stop solution on eBay and figured there had to of been others out there I could use but I have only found it in a box set. And I really want to go digital because I know if this is something I will be making an investment into then digital is the way to go because more options will become available down the road for a digital track. Do you know of any good digital solutions available for 1 32 tracks that can accomodate a 6 car race?!? Here is a link to the pit stop thing I found on the net:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

What I really liked about this innovative piece was this part of the description: "If a longer race is chosen, you must actually pit and get gas and tires. Your car will run out of "gas" if you don't pit and becomes "loose" if tires aren't changed." I just assumed if HotWheels came up with something like this then some of the other top dogs such as Scalextric and Carrera also had something availabl for there systems. Thanks for all your help. Will do ome more research tonight when I return from a day of freezing cold work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The good news is that you can have a great track in 1/32 in the space you have.

My suggestion is to make a small four lane oval to start with and have fun racing. If you'd like the lane changing system then Scalextric will work. For much less money you can have a traditional four lane Artin set.

Some of the features that you are looking for are not yet available but that shouldn't be an issue as you can have a great amount of fun with what's available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where in TN?

I'm in Knoxville. Fairly new to slotting myself (about 1 year since getting my scaley set), and have asked around about other's home set-ups at the local hobby shop, but haven't come across anyone...would like to get a group together to race on each other's circuits eventually.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

BTW: My set up is in my garage...about 55 feet of 2 lane on an 18 x 4 x 12 "L-shaped" table. You could do a lot in a 10 x 4 with 1/32.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! I am actually in Chattanooga but just moved back here from Knoxville...whatcha think about this early winter cold....burrrrr...lol I have read and read..and even read some more and have decided I am going with a digital solution. Next year when the chips are released even those still in the stoneage can get on board and see if they got what it takes to put Tony into the wall...heh Due to the limited amount of information available to me on these new sets I am still undecided as to which solution I will be going with but in the meanwhile I will be planning out the wood work to accomodate the banking I want to be a part of my finished product.....also I may be expanding my area depending if I can find a backwards compatible bridging solution because I may run part of my course through the base of my entertainment center via a bridging solution and use plexiglass and neon wire to light the way. Thus I will have an abundance of room...4 foot on one side....6 foot on the other....and a whole other wall to make an "L" type track. It may take a bit of time because money doesnt grow on trees....but if you are going to do it then do it right : )

Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
TStewartFan,

Dang! That (mis)use of that entertainment center sounds like an awesome plan. That'd be tough to go flying behind the cd player and do a full-on slide around the speaker
. You'll definitely have to promenade pics of that plan during and at completion of the build.

Sounds like you did the same as I when about to take the slotcar plunge...I read everything I could. 1/32 was what I wanted because that's what I played with as a kid; and what I drooled over everytime I saw those yellow Scaley boxes at the hobby shop. Cash is a consideration here, too. I don't have many cars; I was amazed by the IMSA cars in the 80's and early 90's, and watched every televised race, so I'm partial to the "group C" models that are being produced (come-on manufacturers...get some Nissan 300 GTP's or EDS Intrepids built...k'ay!?!).

Here's my track. The crossover sections are the digital lane change turns. It won't be permanent until Scaley delivers some more lane change sections. The back straight and infield are modeled after the Indy GP course with the back straight elevated about 3 1/2 inches, and the big corkscrew is, well, modeled after the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. There's also room in the infield for the pit stop pieces that almost everyone on this site is screaming for (that'd be just the ticket for your Nascar-oriented track too!?!). So far it's a fun course with even my 7 year old nephew being able to put in some fair laps with a (relatively) cheap Indy car that faired well at the hands of the wee lad.

BTW: You might try doing a search for slot car tracks in your area. I know of a few around the Nashville area, both 1:32 and 1:64, and I'd bet there's some around Chat-town where you could get some experience with the different scales (and maybe get with someone for a deal on the extra track you'll need to extend your course).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts