SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Bits and bobs really, I'm still trying to get a decent set up.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks for including me.

Like many, I suspect I found my love of Scalextric in my younger days.
Recently, with the advent of work money, I am reliving my youth.
I have a workshop and shut down for Christmas for a few weeks.
This is when I get to build the track on my 14ftx 6ft bench.

It is track only, it's not up long enough for scenery or any of the cool bits.

I am always trying to find the best layout for the arc pro setup I have, so far I have managed 60 meters.

Any ideas or suggestions, let me know.

Attached is an image of the layout I had last Christmas.

Nigel

Track Flooring Metal Electricity Event

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
hello and welcome Nigel! (y)

Mike

Reactions: Dangerous Beans

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, you've got loads of space there and a lovely track!

My comments would be:

- get rid of the fake dual pit lanes (as I guess during racing they're never used?), and replace them with one double pit lane and make them as long as possible.

- add in a few more wiggles for variety on long straights.

- try a compound curve rather than the triangle shaped one at bottom left of pic for better flow.

- from where you stand and drive can you see when the cars go in the underpass sections and not lose line out site as this could cause more deslots.

- upgrade ( ;-) ) the Arc Pro to a 6 Car APB C7042 and buy RCS64 for laptop - this gives you proper pitting, simulations and competitive pace cars.

- if your table is sturdy enough you could attach it to the roof of your workshop/garage with wires/winch and just wind it down when you want to play? ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts

My comments would be:

- get rid of the fake dual pit lanes (as I guess during racing they're never used?), and replace them with one double pit lane and make them as long as possible.

- add in a few more wiggles for variety on long straights.

- try a compound curve rather than the triangle shaped one at bottom left of pic for better flow.

- from where you stand and drive can you see when the cars go in the underpass sections and not lose line out site as this could cause more deslots.

- upgrade ( ;-) ) the Arc Pro to a 6 Car APB C7042 and buy RCS64 for laptop - this gives you proper pitting, simulations and competitive pace cars.

- if your table is sturdy enough you could attach it to the roof of your workshop/garage with wires/winch and just wind it down when you want to play? ;-)
Good advice from Jordan89

I would also add if you did go down the C7042 route download ESRM, it's free and allows car control and pit options via gamepad controllers, well worht a try

Dave

·
ParrotGod
11,501 Posts
Welcome Nigel.
I think you have got a nice setup there.
If you want to discuss more about track design, you can post your track layout on the track section on this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My comments would be:

• get rid of the fake dual pit lanes (as I guess during racing they're never used?), and replace them with one double pit lane and make them as long as possible.
  • add in a few more wiggles for variety on long straights.
  • try a compound curve rather than the triangle shaped one at bottom left of pic for better flow.
  • from where you stand and drive can you see when the cars go in the underpass sections and not lose line out site as this could cause more deslots.
  • upgrade ( ;-) ) the Arc Pro to a 6 Car APB C7042 and buy RCS64 for laptop - this gives you proper pitting, simulations and competitive pace cars.
  • if your table is sturdy enough you could attach it to the roof of your workshop/garage with wires/winch and just wind it down when you want to play? ;-)
Hi Jordan,
Thank you for your help and advice.
The dual pit lanes both work, and when using the app, are in infact needed.
I added dual as we are forever on the wrong track when a pitstop is required.
However, I love the suggestion of the double pit lane!

From where we stand, yes, we can see the whole track through the underpass, but the next build is not likely to be the same.

The Arc-Pro system I have, already gives me a 6 car option, I take it the APB C7042 is better? I will do a bit of research and look into that, especially if I can then hook the laptop to it with RCS64.

I have considered a winch system, but with the overhead lighting I have for the workbench, it is just not possible.
A bigger workshop perhaps.

You are a gent! thank you for taking the time to help.

Nigel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice from Jordan89

I would also add if you did go down the C7042 route download ESRM, it's free and allows car control and pit options via gamepad controllers, well worht a try

Dave
Hi Dave,
I will take onboard what Jordan has said, one post and I'm already learning.
My knowledge extends to what is written on the back of the box, so this excellent.

ESRM, got it!.

Thank you Dave

Nigel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I’m only over in Matlock so if you wanted to give the C7042 a try with rcs64, ESRM, SSDC or PcLapcounter your welcome to visit my track and have a blast

Dave
That would be awesome, it would be very useful to see the difference before committing to a new control system.
I thought Arc Pro was the be all and end all after analogue, but is seems there is more!

Should I email you through your website?

·
ParrotGod
11,501 Posts
I do hope that you will visit Dave and have a go at the ABP and what it can still offer.
Why do we believe it is superior to the ARC Pro? Because with a cable it can be tethered to a PC that when using a dedicated RMS it can turn the APB in the most advanced system.
Basically the APB becomes just a slave to the RMS: each input from the controller (throttle, brake and lane changer) is sent from the APB to the RMS, the RMS can do any modifications on the data packets before sending them back to the APB, and finally the APB will forward them to the rails for the chips to consume.
This allows the RMS to change and modify the data as required which enables programs like RCS64 to support very realistic simulations given that it has full control on any aspect of the data going to a chip.
Finally, with the support of third-party add-ons, you can add pit sensing.
The ARC Pro only provides very few options to be controlled by an app and does not have any pit sensing capability.
It is a pity that Scalextric decided not to include the lesson learned in the APB and what the community was able to achieve in the ARC Pro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts