SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

a little about me, as i kid always wanted my own Scalectrix, but my mom could never afford one for me, now that im older A LOT OLDER im in a position now where i want to enjoy a little hobby and its Scalectrix.
Before spending money im looking around at all the different options and i cant believe how much Scalectrix has changed so i have lots of questions that i will ask in due course.

I have an ambitious project in mind, ive converted my Loft so im able to stand/sit in comfort and its ready now to start adding and building my project.

I want to Replicate the Monaco Grand Prix circuit in Monte Carlo but first i need to do some research and do plenty of reading here

all the best

Simon

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi there and WELCOME,

Have a good browse about especially in the Track & Scenery forum as there is a stunning Monaco circuit built by a Brazilian guy, if I recall correctly. The track is rather huge and the buildings are something else. He even used cameras in the tunnels so racers could see their cars.

What track planning software do you/will you use? I have a few Monaco track plans which might be of use to you.

Regards - Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 24 May 2011, 10:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What track planning software do you/will you use? I have a few Monaco track plans which might be of use to you.
Regards - Greg

Thanks for the quick replies guys,

Software !!!! as i said im totaly new, scalectrix has changed so much since my youth so already im confused by the question lol

i actually went onto the F1 website and it gives a 3d image of every circuit in the Championship, so il be using that as reference, is that what you mean ??

One quick question i do have is, what scale are the cars these days and what scale would i need to make the buildings etc to make it look in proportion

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Nominally 'Scalextric' cars are 1/32nd scale but they (and their rivals) play with that to suit their needs. No way is the Scalex Tumbler 1/32nd scale for example, and there are dozens of less extreme example.

HO is (again, nominally) 1/64th scale and there is also a growing following for 1/43rd which is about to get another big boost with the Kyosho releases. Carrera and BRM do 1/24th as well.

You will be hard pushed to replicate real tracks, especially in 1/32nd, and it bears repeating that many (myself included) do not believe a great real track guarantees a good slot car track.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 24 May 2011, 09:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You will be hard pushed to replicate real tracks, especially in 1/32nd, and it bears repeating that many (myself included) do not believe a great real track guarantees a good slot car track.

Yeah, ive just been reading the comments about this and seems you can get as near too but not exact. To be absolutely honest though and this may seem a strange statement i dont plan on spending hours racing the Slot Cars i just really like the idea of replicating a circuit for show if that makes sense........ with the odd little play now and again.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Yeah, I get that totally. In which case study lots of pictures and then try and create something with the essence of the track you have in mind.

You will get closer with the smaller scales, but doing that may not be wise if you plan to be a club racer and the clubs around your are 1/32nd.

Just to give you and idea of what is possible in the smallest scale:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 24 May 2011, 10:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah, I get that totally. In which case study lots of pictures and then try and create something with the essence of the track you have in mind.
Just to give you and idea of what is possible in the smallest scale:

Crieky there has been some work gone into that thanks for the pics. I realise that this is not an over night project, as mentioned im making it my little hobby the misses thinks ive gone mad and the kids cant wait but little do they know its completely "hands off" hahahahaha

im about to buy the SL14 monaco Track and it says its 15x9 ft a custom build i assume but im wondering is that an honest replica of the circuit ?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Is that the Jadlam-only set?

Nowhere near to scale, but there is no doubt when one sees the diagram of it which track it is.

In fact I think the guys from the Derby HO club need to see that diagram!

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 24 May 2011, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is that the Jadlam-only set?

Nowhere near to scale, but there is no doubt when one sees the diagram of it which track it is.

In fact I think the guys from the Derby HO club need to see that diagram!

yes it is, i wasnt sure if i was allowed to add a picture as its off ebay !

but here you go, this is what i was thinking of getting

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I think if you want to create a replica of a circuit you would be better off doing it in HO, the circuit will need a quarter of the space a 1:32 track needs and also you can use OO model railway buildings for scenery, whilst HO cars are nominally 1:64 some of them are actually quite a bit smaller, 1:1 NASCARs for instance have a 110 inch wheelbase, HO AFX NASCARs have a 1.5" wheelbase, this gives a scale of 1:73ish. I don't know the wheelbase of a 1:1 F1 car but the HO F1 slot cars will have either a 1.5" or 1.7" wheelbase depending on what chassis you choose to run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 24 May 2011, 10:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think if you want to create a replica of a circuit you would be better off doing it in HO,

is that the Micro sets, sorry in new lol

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You would be best to use AFX track. Micro is OK, Hornby unashamedly use it to feed kids into 1/32nd, whereas AFX is HO for it's own sake.

You can see what I mean from the pictures I posted above, all done with AFX track (and mad skills)

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 24 May 2011, 11:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think if you want to create a replica of a circuit you would be better off doing it in HO, the circuit will need a quarter of the space

Not to mention cost savings

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Micro is 1:64, but you'd be better off getting Tomy AFX track and cars if you decide to go 1:64, there is a better range of track bends available with the AFX track.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi & welcome to the world of slotcars i think that you need to design a track that fits the space that you have first then start adding the scenery after, since i got into slotcars the hobby has become an addiction the more i buy the more i want (hope the wife does not read this) good luck and keep us informed of your progress

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I once put together a track very similar to that of Jadlams. Have to say it was a good compromise, obviously scale is an issue. But unless you have a warehouse and a lorry load of track I dont think you are going to get any better.

Cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts