SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Doug 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Spent this evening painting a car, something I haven't done for years. Old habits being best, I stuck on a CD and hit the repeat button to save me getting up every 45 minutes or so.

The CD in question was the new one by The Blue Nile, High.

Only the forth album in 21 years from the best band in the world I can only insist that you abandon your next slot car purchase and divert £10 to buying a copy of High. In fact, for the price of a new Fly you could have all four Blue CDs. They are worth every Fly ever made.

If you don't like it just give it to someone. Eventually it will find its way into the hands of someone who will wonder how they lived without it.

See less See more
#3 ·
AHA, Mr Ecosse! Do I spot a hint of nationalism in your music choices?

The Cunningham C4R is currently being assembled to the strains of The United States of America, a seminal prog-rock album of the 60s, recently re-issued on CD. I like to think I am the only sensate person in the entire world able to listen to it all the way through (including-AAARGH- the bonus previously unissued CD only tracks), but I daresay there are plenty of slot racers who can.
It's all about atmosphere.

#6 ·
I can't stand distractions of any sort when building or painting little objects like model cars!

If the music isn't good, it irritates the crap out of me and makes me shaky when steadiness is essential. If it is good, then as a musican myself, I find it hard to give enough concentration to the car rather than the music. I would have felt entirely different in my teens and twenties though. Actually, I suspect that exactly the same distractions occurred but I simply didn't give much of a **** in those days!
In the end, you do what you personally feel most comfortable with.

#7 ·
Cool thread.
My family's away in Devon for the weekend so last night I attacked my backlog of projects with R2 on in the background.
Interesting bio of The Band for an hour and Whispering Bob played some great stuff to my amazement. Culminated with Hendrix's Little Wing just before the midnight news. I had to turn off the radio so that it would stay with me a bit longer.
Blue Nile zokay I suppose, I'd rather go for the new Tom Waits.
Looow - ridaahhh!

#9 ·
OH MY GOD !!!!!!

Another Blue Nile fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I was the last....

I only have Rooftops left of the three I had, the other two went missing on the way to live here.

If anyone brings me a copy 'High' with them next weekend, I will love them for ever!

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kiss kiss and all that...

thanks EE, I will get new ICE installations in each of the Mercs we are using for the Night Race, Blue Nile in the darkness it is...

When I am on my own and working at the track on cars or whatever, it is usually my penchant for for bands like Astralasia, Porcupine Tree and the Ozric Tentacles. However this is definately NOT appreciated by Jörg and Thomas so we have to go main stream middle aged rock, Blues, Jazz and Golden Oldies when the club is open or we are all there.

I haven't tried them on a dose of Blue Nile yet.... hmm...

#12 ·
"Did it with my woman cos she couldn't help me with my mind" - Sabbath at their best. Trouble is these days it's the washing up we do together!

Music in the model-making room - don't get me started.

I'm also a Radio2 fan like lowrider and a couple of hours of Johnnie Walker and Bob Harris after work goes down well with the soldering, say it quietly, even Ken Bruce in the morning plays good stuff and Stve Wright in the afternoon is fun.

But what CD to put on?........

I lean a bit to singer songwriters but will listen to almost anything.

Depending on the mood and how well the model project is going I'll play some Proclaimers, they can certainly drive a song along.

Labi Siffre and Cat Stevens if I'm feeling a bit reflective. If you're not moved by Cat's music you can't have a soul. Great when I'm doing some delicate fiddly painting.

Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen if I feel the need for poetry and I'm in the creative thinking stage of a model project. For obvious reasons don't play too much at one time for melancholy overload or wait till you've had a bit to drink later in the evening and you want to wallow in thoughts of your lost youth.

Bruce Hornsby purely for the finest piano playing on the planet!

Bjork for her wonderfully diverse styles and immense talent crammed into each one of her albums.

Christy Moore for his beautiful voice, great covers of standards and his own emotionally charged material.

Hendrix because he is Hendrix and can you ever have enough wailing guitar solos.

The much maligned John Denver because once you've got past the "Annies Song"and "Grandmas Feather Bed" stuff you'll discover some great writing and musicianship. This is also definitley music for the top of a Lakeland Fell.

Obviously The Beatles are often accompanying the hobby process and I hate to admit that Oasis are a favourite - why have I linked these two groups I wonder?

There's loads more but that's enough for now.

David

#15 ·
If you must listen to music while building......(like Tropi I don't think I could), must be "born to be wild"....although I did hear that Fergy is very keen on the Pythons...."I'm a Lumberjack, and I'm alright", (but this is not confirmed).

Regards

Alan

#16 ·
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 20 Sep 2004, 07:42)Kiss kiss and all that...

thanks EE, I will get new ICE installations in each of the Mercs we are using for the Night Race, Blue Nile in the darkness it is...

When I am on my own and working at the track on cars or whatever, it is usually my penchant for for bands like Astralasia, Porcupine Tree and the Ozric Tentacles. However this is definately NOT appreciated by Jörg and Thomas so we have to go main stream middle aged rock, Blues, Jazz and Golden Oldies when the club is open or we are all there.

I haven't tried them on a dose of Blue Nile yet.... hmm...
HEY! I never complained about your music!

And you've been hiding the good stuff from me

Always brought my own CD's with me when I worked alone at the track - Amiga Attack, Extreme and other stuff - you never listened to these

#20 ·
My music preferences will be entirely different to yours so I wont bore you! I've only ever painted 1 car and It was a plain white Ninco 911 LM from 5 years back. I painted it with blue, red, yellow, green, black areas on it with black spots. I'll post up some pictures if anyone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.