SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a basic translation of the 1st link :

The Lister Storm LMP is expected early next year. Without any doubt, this is again a spectacular car. The car will be fitted with a sub-chassis and will bear the new guide, to one already found on the TVR Tuscan. here are two pictures of the prototype of that car. A large description of that car is to be found on the site from e-slotracing.

New Scalextric chassis :
SCX has recently brung the Dome-Judd of Jan Lammers. See for the test review of that great car on "racebaan.com". One of the developments on that car is the use of a sub-schassis, in order to get a more stable / steady car on the track. Whoever thought that Scalextric sat quietly was completely wrong, since the MG Lola (expected in december) will also have one such sub-chassis. The pictures were made during NSCC's week end.

I'll try to bring a translation of the second one tomorrow. (no time to do it now, sorry !)

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
OK did a translation:

"e slotracing have the early product of the new model of Scalextric. The Lister storm LMP of Scalextric with subframe.
Scalextric come with subframe. pro destiny uses subframe in many models as a result of which these cars are of the stilsten. Also SCX have recently a car with subframe, the Dome Judd.

At the beginning of next year the new Lister to introduce storm LMP is equipped with subframe. This is to another other car then Fly under the same name on the market brings.

The Lister storm LMP is a totally new approach with the RTR slotcar concept and a attempt of Scalextric for both thuis-racer and clubracer with competatieve provide car. It will depend on the success on the Lister if models there more come, which are set up as these.

The Lister are a step further on the way to extending the sport concept. The basis is a car, which is technically spoken to compare with the current sport versions. No standaardversie will come, just like at the current models. Thus stole rear axle, metal rear axle lower and better detaillering becomes standard for this possible range models.

The basis implementation a model will be with subframe, on which engine, rear axle and magnet as a complete entity assembled sit. Just as apart from the rest of the car, is that the basis of from which is worked. This subframe are not fixed bouncing on the body with some a propeller. Engine and rims are the same as of the current sport models and the links will provide to be with siliconenbanden. However, the Lister are equipped with the new geleidesysteem, which are meanwhile on the Tuscan geintroduceerd and on all new models will come. Next model with that system the Renault F1 will be.

What is now this way particular to the Lister Strom LMP, which so much ophef is made. This model is the start of a concept, where by means of a number of opvoerpakketten the performance level of the car on a considerable higher plan can be brought and also for clubracers attractive is. To start with the subframe. The standard frame (chassis) sits without speling assembled on the body. There special sport subframe, which, come foresee is of a rubber block-system, so that the subframe can engine entity bounce with regard to the body. This frame has been differently formed than the standard subframe this movement possible make. The degree of vering/movement of this frame can be established traploos dmv special provided propeller, which does not go if he is not twisted complete. Furthermore the rear axle ophangpunten has been differently formed and has been dimensioned. This comes because for the sport subframe a number of matter is differently.
Lower can be to choice gesinterde source static lower or ball-lower. For assembly of these lower special tool will be supplied.
The special sport rear axle will be considerably thicker and more rigid. The sport lower, both fixed and the ball-lower, are only suitable for these thicker ash. These assen be will get in 5 different length.
A complete range will come to tenon ion and contrates available, so that in sum 21 different overbrengverhoudingen can be chosen. These cog wheels mbv inbusboutje will be fixed, therefore no longer the pushfit of the standard models. The contrate will exist from two loose parts, which have been made such that the correct speling between pinion and contrate will be blindly always obtained. The different tenon ion and cog wheels will be recognizable to the different colours.
The rims metal rims will be, also with inbusbevestiging and loose velginserts. Of the links three different compounds will be deliverable. At marks the now well-known metal rims one work with boutje for fixing. The new metal rims there will have to two perfect centrering ensure.
There three extra engines with several characterisations come, but the half-measure sheathing of the engines is equal, so that without adaptors the engines are appropriate always on the subframe.
For these Sportrange an especially formed magnet, which does not sit in the standard version, comes. Because this magnet in several scores can be assembled, the magnet magneetsterkte is regulable. But there is a magnet position and is there no extra small magnet for assembly flat behind the geleidevlag.
There come also special screw for the body and the floor, so that which wants, also the floor and body apart from each other can move let. Also these the special propellers, which continue be present in each score fixed, are.
Fragile components, such as antennae and mirrors are made of rubber and are separately available. At older models the achtervleugel frequently demolished, by the fragile construction of the ophangpunten. At the Lister one has poured the wing and the back of the floor as a part, as a result of which the wing construction much is stronger. On the photograph (below this page) of the lower part this part is visible with the pale blue colour.
The Lister storm LMP gets Xenon lamps and rear lights. brake lights are in study. The engine lies offset in the car. According to Scalextric this has been extended tested and has it no disadvantageous impact on the position.
It lies in the intention components in special parcels, providing so that retrofit assembly on some of the current sport models possible are. That does not apply to the subframe. That will provisionally only be for the Lister and depending on of the findings possible on other new models geintroduceerd become. Existing models will not become modified to be able use the subframe. By this range to opvoersets it is possible carry out and adjust the car entirely to own wishes. These components will not be built in in the RTR models, it will become always to the purchaser/racer left to what extent he wants adapt the model.
Also the tools will be very complete. There tools will come for retrofit of special lower, therefore ruimers the breaches tailored, make presses and triggers for placing and removing both fixed and the ball-lower. Also tool will come for the cog wheels. In spite of that them mbv inbusboutjes fixed go become, seem the passing such be that there nevertheless triggers press and at just must come exchange them.
It is not yet certain under which name or which form the components or combination of components will become provided.

The placed photograph is of a prototype. The production model can deviate on points from the shown images. "

Interesting!!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
VERY interesting!
Especially this
QUOTE The special sport rear axle will be considerably thicker and more rigid
I find it hard to believe that they are going to use a 'thicker axle', but we will see.
I always liked the old 1/8" axles but everyone says they are too heavy . . .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for both translations guys.

The Storm looks like it's going to turn out to be quite an interesting car. Lots of options.
I really hope the just use a standard 3/32" axel though. I mean 3/32" not something a little bigger or a little smaller.

·
Registered
714 Posts
One VERY weird point, that hits me right between the eyes, is the massively OFFSET motor chassis sub-frame. They claim that this has no effect on handling and you would have to consider that they surely must have thoroughly tested this concept before continuing. But I simply cannot believe the inherent imbalance is not detrimental. For the life of me, I cannot understand WHY it is offset! Could it be related to an alternative side-winder setup? Could it be to make room for a second additional motor alongside the existing one?
I am truly intrigued!

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hornby's explanation of the motor offest was to keep the model acurate (i.e. to fit the motor in without changing the shape of the car).

The offset was described (from memory) as 3mm.

The rest of the new range of racing accesories will all come out next year some time.

The idea is/was to release this car as a 'normal' Sports edition and then all the added parts would be available seperately (or in packs).

Gareth

·
Registered
714 Posts
So it would seem that the reason for the offset was to shift the contrate from the center into the fender/wing to avoid the need for a 'contrate bulge' in the rear deck? On the face of it, this sounds like a logical reason. But looking at the pics, it doesn't seem to match up, in the sense that the motor appears to be as tall as, if not taller than the contrate, so I can't see that anything is gained by moving it sideways. We shall see - eventually!

It certainly looks as though Scalextric are taking another close look at the performance options that have been suggested many times on the forums. If their new gear system and wheel construction works out well, Slot.it could feel some discomfort. But two pieces for a single oblect that MUST be perfectly concentric?

Interesting - ALL very interesting!

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
QUOTE ...the MG Lola (expected in december) will also have one such sub-chassis.

Really? Was this public knowledge?

Have I got this right? The NSCC lays on this event but attendees are free to photograph all the secrets 'n surprises and post them on the web before the NSCC itself gets to report the stories in its own magazine, thus underlining its redundancy. Brilliant.

Shame the NSCC can't use its connections within Hornby to try and establish itself as the British "slotcenter.net" and get these scoops to us in our own language.

Lordy, maybe even Hornby could have put it on their site.

[Cries from the left]
Stone the heretic!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Lordy, maybe even Hornby could have put it on their site.
I SO heartily support this!

If there is ONE single thing that Hornby/Scalextric could and absolutely SHOULD do, it is use their site for publicity, arousing interest and keeping the slot car pot nicely bubbling - PERMANENTLY!

With all due respect to our most well-established manufacturer, they are utterly wasting so much publicity potential on their very own site. Not trying to upset anyone, just pointing out the oh-so-obvious in the hope that it will be rectified.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
They may even decide to tell their dealers. Then we can pass on the info. Personally i find it crazy that many of the manufacturers are reluctant to release info until the cars release is iminent. Ninco are probably worse then any of the other manufacturers in that the most notice you get of impending releases are 3 weeks.
I don't belieeeeve it !
Victor

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the offset is to get the motor itself under the engine cover, wich is very low on the lister. also remeber that the bodywork between the wheel fairings of an LMP is tapering down a lot between where the engine is, and where the transmission/crown gear is. from the looks of it (lots of lovely pics of both cars on mulasannescorner), apart from the cockpit section, the deck between the wheels is even lower than the MG-lola.

the sooner we get a decent smaller alternative to the mabuchi motors, the better.

the offset motor probably doesn't noticably affect handling with the scaley MG-Lola Magnet installed, as motor mass is probaly insignificant compared to the downforce. without mags, I can;t see how it wouldn;t affect it.

I'll still get the car though I've been intrigued by the 1:1 version since I saw the first pics of it before sebring. the use of the subframe on the new dyson and intersport MG-lolas could be interesing.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Dear Wankel Ickx

"Have I got this right? The NSCC lays on this event but attendees are free to photograph all the secrets 'n surprises and post them on the web before the NSCC itself gets to report the stories in its own magazine, thus underlining its redundancy. Brilliant."

Would you prefer it if we kept it to ourselves?

Please bear in mind that approx. 2/3 of NSCC members are not online! so our monthly Journal is the most upto date info they can get.

Pehaps it's time for you to join? then you could come to the NSCC/Hornby weekend your self.

Gareth

PS i don't think the info on the new livery MG Lolas is correct!

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Jexy,

Hey there. Sorry if I've caused offence: I'm reading your post and picking up a vibe that I have.

Putting this forward in the spirit of debate;

QUOTE Would you prefer it if we kept it to ourselves?

Well if you are trying to sell membership of the club, surely exclusives like this are a way of doing just that? You could stop folks from photographing the special stuff and release the photos yourselves on an up-to-date website a la slotcenter. With gems of info like this I reckon you could get plenty of traffic to a site to try and hook subscriptions for the mag.

QUOTE Pehaps it's time for you to join?

I was a member once. I got bored with the fact that the information was so out of date! That and the fact that it was pitched at collectors more than racers.

I know you aren't moaning about the release of this info, it's me here moaning about the NSCC, but doesn't it stick in your throat a tad that this has come out on a foreign language site first? Let's get this straight, important and interesting product news from a UK run company has come out on a non English language site first.

It amazes and disappoints me.

It's my problem.

I'll get over it.

In fact... I think I have.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I find it strange that Scalextric decided to use 3mm axles. Certainly in the Uk 3/32nd has become a standard to the majority of club racers who have adopted the superb range of Slot.it spares to develope their cars. Not only will Toyshops have another range of spares that they are reluctant to carry but could you imagine going into your local branch of Modelzone and asking the Saturday staff for a crown gear for a 3mm axle to fit the latest Scalextric car!
OK i know its going to appeal to the racers and enthusiasts and i will almost certainly carry every single spare just like we do with slot.it but i still think 3mm is a mistake, even if they make it backward compatable so that you can fit it to previously released models. This also begs the question, if you fit a new 3mm rear axle & wheels to an old model, what do you do with the front axle & wheels?
All older models have been produced to accept 3/32nd size front axles to fit 3mm axles you would need to start cutting or drilling the chassis, thus making it weaker. Nice idea Scalextric but is sounds like Protec again.
Sean

·
Registered
222 Posts
This certainly does look very interesting.
If I am right in thinking that standard motor shafts are about 2mm, then looking at the pictures, the rear axle appears to be about 3mm dia, i.e. 1/8". Not sure of the logic of changing from 3/32" here as it makes another non standard part and a 3/32" drill blank is both hard and true.
gjb52

1 - 20 of 21 Posts