SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I have documented the building of my first track on another forum. After some nights lurking around, seeing all these incredible projects, I decided to join and share my attempts over here. This time, it will be a hill climb in the Ardennes area in Belgium. The footprint will be aprox. 2.5 x 2.5 meters. It is going to be a single lane with double reverse loops. Before I throw in the first patch of pics, I would like to say Hi to S.O.F. AKA Bruce who I have met through Luf's website, and who has helped me a LOT so far with wiring diagrams, part numbers etc

thanks for watching!

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Hey and welcome - good to have you on board and sharing. Your track looks superb!!

One of my colleagues at work is Lotus nut and I have done a rally with him here in Belgium. He goes at least bi-monthly and drives his car in the Ardennes and absolutely raves about the area, roads and fun. Good choice!!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Ardennes is great, it has Spa Francochamps and the MX GP used to be around the castle in Namur, and there's always a tank museum to visit.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Welcome. I'm very much looking forward to watching your track develop. I certainly see a lot of potential in the way you have started.

Embs

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I know you are new to this forum BUT you need to read about posting pics, these pics are way to big for this forum.The thread will not load on mobile devices.
Things that load O/K on the US Forum simply lock everything up here.
Try reducing the pic width to around 700 Pixels.

·
Bob Chapman
6,935 Posts
Hi Slotpip, welcome to Slot Forum.
Glad you chose to post your build here. It looks great.
There are a lot of rally fans here, that will be eager to see your track progress, and there are a lot more of us that just appreciate great builds.
Keep the posts coming.
Bob.

·
ParrotGod
8,228 Posts
Excellent project. I really like the difference track surfaces you are creating. Looking forward to more.

gio

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@Phil

Thanks for pointing this out, I would like to replace the pics with smaller ones, but I can not find the option to edit my post
EDIT: aha now I see it, I was too late to edit my first post, sorry mobile 3G users!

·
Registered
167 Posts
some progress from the last two days...

Trying out viewpoints and elevation

started on the support frame

and this is the magic box that will switch polarity when the car completes a loop, that is, if everything works out, I am "electrically challenged"
so all I can try is to follow diagrams made by people who know what they are doing

·
Greg Gaub
14,983 Posts
It's hard to see what the elevation change is, but it looks like you could probably go a lot steeper. Just move it a little more each day, letting the MDF relax in between, until you get the proper elevation to make it truly impressive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, I agree it could be steeper, though I must point out that the elevation I had in mind is only visible on the first two pictures. If I make it steeper, the lowest part has to be well under knee height, since I would still like to view the track at least slightly from above, not from the side, even at its highest point. I am not extremely tall, so I only have limited room to achieve this

@Ember I devoured the build topic of your incredible garage, which is by far the most realistic thing at scale I have ever seen! It got me inspired to think about a sort of covered bridge

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't like rallying or hillclimb. so the biggest compliment I can pay you, is I would really really like to have half a day with your track. I love all the different track surfaces you,ve incorporated. have fun. John

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
As I recall when I built mine, I checked out the average hill climb grade and it ranges between 5% and 7%. I think I took liberties and made mine a bit steeper.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I suppose it really depends on what you want out of your hill climb. I know His Lordship pushed our hill climb a little bit further than I felt comfortable with but it works (suprisingly) so why not. As long as the cars get around it it's fine. Ours has a couple of corners where you've got to be brave and drive to get around, but it's part of the challenge and part of the fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys, I took your advise to heart and made it steeper

Last night I was able to test the track one way at the time, since the relay hasn't been installed yet, and I am very very pleased! Just some minor adjustments to some of the columns.

This is a dangerous stage, which you all might recognise, it is so much fun already, but there's so much more to do!!

1 - 20 of 205 Posts