SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Here is something really special
As a result of buying one of my books ,chris rigby contacted me to say that up in his mums loft ,he had the car that was used to win the 1966 ECRA national GP championship driven by 60s superstar gerry ball from the ashton club
It turns out that chris who was also a member of ashton built and owned the car .
on top of that the car was also used by chris to finish 3rd in the notorious Longlife GP series in 1966
On the surface the car isn,t too remarkable and follows the fairly well worn pattern of a pittman DC196.couple to an MRRC steering unit coupled with a VIP guide ,the gears I believe were MRRC and the tyres COX
This was capped off with the yellow C type auto union by airfix the colour and the length of the car often led to these being called "flying bannanas" and this one has a Fyffes badge on the side to support the nickname
There were probably hundreds of these around clubs in the mid 60s this one was obviously well set up and driven by one of the superstars of early slot racing but what makes it unique now is the fact that it is probably the oldest Nationals winning GP car still in existence
The 1964 mRRC mercedes has disappeared ,and the 1965 brooklands rolls royce was cannibalised and this is now the oldest one left ENJOY

and chris if oyu are out there and have anything to add please do so

Cheers tony

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Don
i,ll have trawl through someof the other pictures chris sent meand see if I can find a better shot of the underpinnings
Re the steering ,I think you are right ,it is certainly the last gP car with steering to win as the following year nev hintons cooper maser was an iso fulchrum can powered car with a solid front axle
After that steering units were toast

Cheers tony

·
Eddie Grice
2,319 Posts
QUOTE (superhornets @ 2 May 2012, 14:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>as the following year nev hintons cooper maser was an iso fulchrum can powered car with a solid front axle
Thought it was a Honda, or was that another year?
Was that the one that created a bit of a fuss in Model Cars Editorials, Nationals Report & Letters to the Editor
Even more so than a yellow Auto Onion with a Fyffes sticker

Good to see the old C type again though, thanks Tony.
Eddie

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Guys,

Nice one Tony.

I always liked the "C" Type, but can't really use them these days as the guide now must not be visible from above !!.

such a short guide lead would be a handicap, IMHO.

Any more icons to unearth ?.

vbr Chris A.

ps: I have that Brooklands Rolls which I displayed at Wolves in 2010,
but dont think it was an actual winner, there were several about !!.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chris
Yes there were several about ,as Beckenham used them in the team race that year
I very much doubt that the one you have is the winner because stan alton who built it told me when I was researching the book ,that he had cannibalised it, as us young impecunious apprentices used to do in those days
However the winner did have one fairly unique feature ,as it didn,t use the ubiquitous MRRC steering unit but a VIP steering unit so have a look chris!
I think that info is true ,but I am not sure where it came from

Cheers tony

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Tony, you had me going there for a second or two !!.

Mine does indeed have a VIP guide, but sadly an MRRC steering unit.

The body is molded from white plasticard, painted mustard yellow and bright red, with the driver centrally placed, having an MRRC head.

vbr Chris A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.