SlotForum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Philippe,

All I can offer from the Tottenham Model Raceways days are copies of race reports and advertisements from Model Cars, as I have all of them. I would be suprised is you don't have them all as well. I would be happy to photocopy them for you, they don't scan very well as the original paper quality was not wonderful and they are all over 30 years old.

I am at work at present but when I get home I will try to scan and post a picture from a 1963 Model Maker of a Classic bodied Cooper Oldmobile made by "8 year old Ross Brawn". Its quite small and the above comments about quality apply, but I'll try. He was also half of the HB concern (Hough and Brawn) who produced F32 chassis for the ECRA/BSCRA "production/novice" class in the late 70's.

Other slot/racing motor racing connections include Dr's John and Rob Dominy. John worked for Arrows as a race engineer before Ross joined them and Rob did aerodynamic work for the Jaguar sports car team. They were the first two ECRA F32 National Champions and a key part of the first NLondon SME team to win the National Club Championships.

See http://uk.geocities.com/slot_racing/histor...ts/clubteam.htm for scary photographs of the effects of 30 years! At least I've kept my hair!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It was all a very long time ago. And I seem to have run out of my little pills this week.
But I'm sure I remember poor Diana Rigg's left leg getting hooked rather painfully in that awkward top corner of the sloping window. That did happen, didn't it? On the way back from Maxim's one night? She begged me to stop at that little lay-by off the A3. I remember that as clear as day. Because that blooming Greta Garbo nearly ruined everything scratching at the door trying to get in. We did give her a lift home though. I shall certainly never forget those glimpses in the rear view mirror of Greta and Diana squashed up together in that tiny 2+2 rear seat. Quite undignified I thought at the time, but they made the best of it. Taking each other's clothes off definitely gave them a bit more room.
But you'll never guess who was waiting for us at my Mayfair bachelor flat when we finally got home-
I've never worked out how that Emmanuelle got hold of the key. But thank goodness for the fold-out sofa.
How these memories come flooding back! Oh well. I'm due back at the clinic now, I suppose.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Respond needed ?

Reading all this ("most beautiful F1 car ever made") makes me wonder about, "what happened during the history classes at school?".
It is simply appalling to witness an entire society of new children absolutely oblivious about what happened yesterday.

Guess it is up to me since I am the one who started that post how appalling it might be. For me this forum is a place were one can/should have fun and of course learn something. But sometimes it's great to be able to be not as "serious" as others when it comes to certain topics/posts. What strikes me! As appalling is when someone like TSRF claims that I and many of my fellow forum lads are absolutely oblivious to what happened yesterday. To say something like that says more about TSRF then it does about me and others in here. History is
Also very interesting and fun and there are places on the internet were one can discuss that to, so maybe someone is perhaps…lost? Beauty comes in many forms and shapes lads... comments and ugliness to.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Be easy on him, he's an oldtimer!

I'm sure that in a roundabout way he isn't saying that we are all stupid, but that maybe we weren't as informed as he was at our age. He seems to have been involved with motorsport from a young age which is lucky for him. But I, for example, have grown up in a family of complete non-motorsport enthusiasts, so I've had to learn it all myself.

I'm sure Brundle's kids know everything there is to know about F1, so I guess it's just the circumstances which vary...

I'm sure he didn't mean to offend, because I've had the same (old vs. young) debate before...

McLaren

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
QUOTE Other slot/racing motor racing connections include Dr's John and Rob Dominy.

I remember reading a lot about Rob Dominy and his slot car racing activities in Model Cars.

QUOTE What strikes me! As appalling is when someone like TSRF claims that I and many of my fellow forum lads are absolutely oblivious to what happened yesterday.
I don't know why you feel so wounded in your convictions if you are not guilty. A bit too touchy-feely? My comment addresses posters asking questions such as "who the heck was Jim Clark" or similar. Please get a grip and stop thinking that every comment regards you personally, thank you. As clearly pointed, I said that SOME (and possibly the majority) of young lads today are poorly informed, and pointed to the culprits.

QUOTE I'm sure that in a roundabout way he isn't saying that we are all stupid, but that maybe we weren't as informed as he was at our age.
Thanks McLaren, you got the point perfectly. I KNOW that the kids today are just as smart as before (probably smarter). It is their level of education and knowledge that scares me, as it looks to me as an empty void compared with what I and my friends knew when we were teenagers. It points squarely as a very poor education system, not at the kids if one eliminates a certain laziness from the equation. As far as slot racing, it amazes me that the vast majority of home racers have little clue of the 50+ years of accumulated knowledge, allowing anyone to have a clear understanding of the why and how of a slot car function within 10 minutes of time.
Hence, the repetitive questions on the most basic stuff by people otherwise claiming to know it all.

QUOTE You guys know any other drivers or important people who were slot car enthusiasts?
Hi McLaren, Jack Brabham is pictured in the new Doug Nye book, playing with his children with a Scalextric set. We also know of Emerson Fittipaldi, Juan Fangio II, Skip Hudson, Jim Hall and many others. On the Brit side it is more difficult for me to assess as... I was not there very often!

QUOTE I shall certainly never forget those glimpses in the rear view mirror of Greta and Diana squashed up together in that tiny 2+2 rear seat.

Howmet, you crack me up. I think that you should write the definitive story of the Keeler-Profumo affair so as to set things straight for the world to see.

Kind regards to all,

Philippe

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello TSRF

No I don't feel wounded at all and further more I am not to sensitive either. But perhaps I was not clear enough in my last post; do apologize if that was the case. So I will therefore give it new try…hopefully the last one. What "triggered" me was the way you addressed (not me of course) some of the members here. What's difficult when we all are sitting in front of a computer is that one need to be careful in what one, wrights and how that might be (as in this case) interoperated.
I took it personal and thought you were addressing me since I after all was the one that started the post. My mistake I guess. I don't think that I have reacted at any of your comments before so I truly believe that I have at least…some grip, hmmmm…hopefully.

With that said I do agree with you that repetitive questions often come up. Why that is... I do not know. Personally I don't have a problem with that, one do not need to respond if one wish not to. So there is no reason to get all "worked" up over that.

Last but not least… keep them stories coming. They are interesting.

Cheers
Eric

·
John Roche
4,233 Posts
Hi Eric,

You're right, humour doesn't always come across through a keyboard.

Having met TSRF and known him through the internet, he does have a quirky sense of humour.

Thats the beauty of this forum, whatever we do in the real world, we have slots in common

John

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
QUOTE No I don't feel wounded at all and further more I am not to sensitive either. But perhaps I was not clear enough in my last post; do apologize if that was the case.

Eric, everything is cool. Sorry if I sounded like I attacked anyone, I did not. Thank you for understanding and no need to apologize. And yes, 100% of my comments are... tongue in cheek (a very uncomfortable situation really...
)

I will do my best to keep you entertained.
Kind regards,

Philippe

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Philippe, thank you very much for the wonderful stories and lessons in 1:1 and model racing history! Please tell us more whenever you feel like it! Having worked in actual auto racing for a short period and also having participated in several forms of model motor racing, I find your postings very interesting.

One thing that I think is fairly universal is that when we are young we have less patience for learning about history, but as we grow older, we realize how much less we actually know and find history much more interesting. I look forward to your future posts, thanks again.

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I am browsing this topic and was struck by a comment from McLaren. I think he is confusing stupidity with ignorance. Definition of ignorance being, partial or complete absence of knowledge. Stupidity is defined as lack of intelligence. Now reading back I cannot see where the younger element of this forum is being accused of being stupid. Lacking in knowledge. Yes.
Alfetta

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.