SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day All'
What is history, well it's just a way of embarassing you or you ancestors! I've attached a link to a picture taken in the dim and distant past. ( It was in the upstairs of an old red brick barn in the grounds of a public house in an outer suburb of Woking, Surrey! The pub? The Robin Hood, The suburb St John's, Woking. The club? The Brooklands Slot Car Racing Club.

Oooh,Ooooh, Ooooh, Halcyon days. Misspent days of my youth, Damn days that had me hooked then, and now after 35 years, have me hooked again only on the other side of the Planet!!! Sent to rob me of my disposable income then and now! Apparently the new Mars probe has not yet revealed slot cars on Mars! There is an escape yet!!

The link is a picture with hopefully readable text of a cutting taken from the Woking News and Mail circa 1964/5? (Earlier versions of Int Exp may need to make picture full size) The Brooklands Club was a merry bunch of adults and teenagers who would congregate at the said venue on a regular basis to enjoy the noble if not fiercely competetive sport of slotcar racing.

Among the partakers where men of giant slot car stature such as Laurie Headly and John Ramsdale who on more than one occaision went head to head in the ECRA finals! there were others, also equally as keen but of a more calm and quiet nature. Robin Burns, a very knowledgable guy and helpful person, Bob ? who would meticulously wind motors and construct cars with the skill of a swiss watch maker. Entertainers, Don Gray. It didn't matter what particular disaster had just befallen you or your car, Don had a line for it. Outstanding Juniors , Geoff Sentinella, Driver par excellence but always the bridesmaid.

Then there were people like me and Allan Baigent (RIP) who made up the junior numbers at head to heads at tracks all over the south of England, Racing in attics over garages, Full on circuits like Southall or just beating around the slotcar bush with a myriad of others at a plethora of tracks all over the South East. On Sunday mornings, Me and Allan would load up the tandem and cycle from our home village of Chobham to St John's. Toss up to see who was going into the Pub's Off License to get the key off the landlord and get some change for the electric meter.

A sad day when the club was relocated to Weybridge as I was not able to make the journey on a regular basis and eventually I dropped out and discovered girls. Worst of all, I was enticed away by this Aussie chick who showed me things like you wouldn't believe! 22C days in winter, Xmas lunch on the beach and beer and wine at prices you could water the garden (sorry, the yard) with, petrol then at 25c a litre (3 times cheaper than the UK was) and pure white sandy beaches 20 miles long and an ocean with more fish in than Billingsgate market saw in a year!!

Slot car History. A year or two later, slot car history in the UK stalled and went into decline, a state that was to persist for many years. There were disputes in the governing body of the time. At least one final left ill feelings throughout the organisation. There where a few false starts when the diehards thought things were picking up again but they were false starts.
Now, now we have a good grip on things again, (especially in S.E. Queensland!) the main lesson learnt and the main lesson to use is ,
"No one person is greater than the club. There is no club without members and let everything be done for the benefit and good of the members!" and you won't go far wrong.

Wixwacing

Armchair Jim Clarks

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Dig the groovy togs! Great reading though! Sorry to hear that Allan is no longer with us. I remember his name coming up often in Model Cars and ECRA reports.
The only other thing I know about Woking is that H.G.Wells hated the place so much he made it the first place that the Martians destroyed in 'the War of the Worlds'. But that was before it had a slot racing club. Which obviously made all the difference. I'm taking my kids to Brooklands for some Kart racing in a week or so, but the other Brooklands, that is. Soon to be redeveloped into some sort of Mercedes theme park. I'll have a drive round Woking and see if I can spot any Slot landmarks! Pip pip!

G

·
I enjoyed it,

Does anyone know if any slot racing took place at the Brooklands Track Clubhouse before the rail event was held there?

I know the BSCRA was looking at holding an event there but the cost put them off.

RR

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Great pic!

Note the 'pre fragile missle age' one handed control pose as opposed to the two handed 'protect the crotch from plastic bullets out of control' age we mostly adopt now ?

Seriously though, thanks alot for the history, I love this sort of stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
QUOTE There were disputes in the governing body of the time

Unfortunately, nothing has changed today and the BSCRA has been in serious decline lately with less membership and more tracks closings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts