SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making some progress on another vintage cigar body... this time a 1966 Lola T-90 Indy car.

Schematic Rectangle Font Technical drawing Engineering

Rectangle Font Gas Metal Aerospace engineering

Rectangle Wood Automotive design Slope Font

Lamp Automotive design Artifact Office supplies Art

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the latest renderings of the Lola T-90. Not really a fan of the rear axle holders having to stick out to fit around stock crown gear and boss setups. But at least they represent the right shape of the original's body openings. And painted flat black, they won't be as noticeable at actual size.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Toy

Wheel Tire Toy Vehicle Aircraft

Gesture Automotive design Red Material property Font

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you see is what you get!

The chassis and body are integral.

The motor snaps in. The axles slide through.

Jim, could you post a pic from the rear view so I can "look-see".
Hey Bill, I've just got word (and dimensions) of a better rear axle set up which should let me re-think the rear axle mount with an entirely new and more accurate looking design. But like with the Loti 33, the motor will slide ride into the body, along with the front axle. And the braid/wiper/Guidepin holder screws in underneath. Stand by!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sounds great Jim!

There seemed to be some workable middle ground between the humongi in the rendering here, and the snap in journals from the SL's. I figured a man of your means could split the difference, lean on that cowling, and come closer to your vision. Without the rear perspective, Im kinda lost across the axle line anyway.

I cant help but scribble on the blue prints, but you will have to come out west to shoot me proper.

BTW, I'll have a regular Coke with that, but Supersize the fries.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant help but scribble on the blue prints, but you will have to come out west to shoot me proper.

BTW, I'll have a regular Coke with that, but Supersize the fries.
I may have to PM you some detail shots over on the Lodge to get your thoughts. I don't have any fries, but will be sending you some happy meal misfit toys to play with soon... just had to order some more shipping boxes... we ran out with all those power plugs and TV crew sets moving out. Stand by!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
"Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

The car as rendered is amazing.
I have a set the original Aurora F1 slot cars and yours as-is already exceeds it. "

Not refining obvious warts would be so "Otto Whirled". It's why they are available in the first place

Dis (my Jim Clark tribute build)

.... begat dis (Jims first 3D chassis, the SL-1)

.... which begat these (Dave Wanacott's "Loti"). Where Jim uses the "underprint" as the chassis.

"Snappy" is not a new idea to slotcars. Just kinda new to H0. I was lucky enough to ride along. What a long strange trip it's been.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Highwing Jim doesnt build RTR cars for the masses; rather, he designs them. The whole deal was about making something different and new; that the average builder/enthusiast could create, using commonly available componentry.

Maybe D. Wanacott may still have them in a kit.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

The car as rendered is amazing.
I have a set the original Aurora F1 slot cars and yours as-is already exceeds it.
Thanks! Yeah, that's my biggest character flaw... I tend to be a perfectionist. But those "outriggers" are killing me! I have a redesign in mind that will get rid of them, thanks to a narrower axle setup my friend and VAR, Dave Wonacott, came up with yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to run test prints by next week and get the show, er... car, on the road!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Snappy" is not a new idea to slotcars. Just kinda new to H0. I was lucky enough to ride along. What a long strange trip it's been.
None of this would likely have happened without all the encouragement and shared ideas from you and the rest of the gang over on Slot Lodge. It's been a fun journey! With (hopefully) many many miles to go yet!

As always, thanks for all your help, Bill! You da man!

·
Registered
264 Posts
High Wing Pilot, I see your shape ways offering: HWP Slot Cars, Model Ship Fittings + More by highwingpilot - Shapeways Shops https://m.facebook.com/HWPSlotCars/

On eBay I found: Mini N20 DC 6V-12V High Speed Micro 10mm*12mm Electric Motor Dual shaft Slot Car

I run at intermediate volts (so 12v) so perhaps that'll work.

@highwingpilot as soon as you'll list a monocoque car on that site, I'll place an order. I've rebuilt/built many things (steam engines, cars, motorcycles, rockets, tractors) from 1/64 to 1:1

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
High Wing Pilot, I see your shape ways offering: HWP Slot Cars, Model Ship Fittings + More by highwingpilot - Shapeways Shops https://m.facebook.com/HWPSlotCars/

On eBay I found: Mini N20 DC 6V-12V High Speed Micro 10mm*12mm Electric Motor Dual shaft Slot Car

I run at intermediate volts (so 12v) so perhaps that'll work.

@highwingpilot as soon as you'll list a monocoque car on that site, I'll place an order. I've rebuilt/built many things (steam engines, cars, motorcycles, rockets, tractors) from 1/64 to 1:1
The dual arm shaft on this motor is perfect for my 4WD chassis that available on Shapeways. It's a 1.5" wheelbase and can be fitted with up to 4 tunable traction magnets. D. Wonacott and others have built up some pretty cool 4WD trucks and other vehicles with this chassis. They're available in my shapeways shop singly, or as a 4-pack, NEW! HWP-4WD Quad-Traction HO Slot Car Chassis by highwingpilot on Shapeways

But for my regular SL2 chassis, the N20 motors that JAG Hobbies carries are perfect. I'm told they can handle up to 22-24 volts though that is WAY too fast for me. JAG and Dave W. ordered these motors direct from the factory and had them made to spec. When you order motors on eBay or through Aliexpress, its a real crap shoot as to what you'll actually get. Trust me, ive got boxes of motors that were said to be 12-24v that can barely handle 6-8.

As far as the monocoque car goes, I don't presently offer the Lotus 33 on Shapeways. The nylon plastic is super durable, but with its sharkskin-like finish, it takes a lot more effort (sanding, burnishing, filling, priming, painting) to get a smooth finish. Its doable, but the high-definition resin I use now is much much smoother, sands and finishes beautifully. But they are a little trickier to build in the their current configuration. So I currently only sell the Loti through Dave W who has built at least 600 of them to date.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts