SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to start slotracing in HO - nice layouts that need less space than 1:32 tracks, nice little cars. I bought a lot of Tomy AFX track pieces, two parma controllers with adjustable ohm-strenght, a aftermarket power-supply and (because that´s the fun part for me) quite a few cars.

As I good deeper into the stuff I found out, that I´m completely unable to cope with the electricity. I tried to solder some extra power taps and they all failed. As I learned from the forum, it is "not the easiest task" to do that with the track-material I have. Especially if you haven´t done something like that before. I was quite frustrated and switched to 1:32 Scalextric digital, because things are more comfortable for a newbie like me.

Finally my question...
Is it possible to drive my Tyco and Autoworld Cars on Scalextric Sport tracks? Has anyone tried that? Of course you have to do someting with the guiding pin... Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Markus

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hi Markus,

You would struggle with them a bit as the car would move from side to side of the what would seem to it to be a big slot! Also you need to switch the axle over so that the car runs backwards as the positive rail is left on HO and right on 1/32nd.

I've managed to solder wires to the underside of my AFX track to do power taps. Have a search for my West Hill Raceway track although I'm not sure if I posted photos of the soldering or not. The key to good soldering is flux on the rail and a pre-tinned wire. Pre-tinned means you've covered it in solder!

A good tip I have seen from Diesel and others is to use a spade connector to push up between the rail and track for your power taps. That way you don't need to faff about with dodgy soldering and can simply crimp your wire onto the spade connector.

Self wiring the track seemed massively daunting to me but there are some excellent people on here who will give you good guidance beyond the above and crucially, photos!! They really help to get things straight in your head as you work.

Cheers

Gareth

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Gareth,

of course I have seen your thread about your racetrack! Nice selection of course that you have and the track looks good too!
I
Thanks for your encouraging! The plan was, to have a 4 x 2 m 1:32 Scalextric table with a HO-layout on the top, acting as a cover. Being unable to do the electrical stuff, I´ve overthrown that idea nearly. That spade connector thing sounds good, I´ll use the search function directly afterwards. If someone has a picture og it, this would be very helpful! I´m more the visual type...

Cheers

Markus

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Mars,

If you're worried about electrical connectivity around the track on a permanent layout you could put copper tape over the top of the rails on the Tomy track
You can run HO cars on 1:32 track, google slide guide.

Julian

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Hi Marcus,

The soldering of power taps/jumper cables is not that hard, You do really have to clean the rail part under the track back to the steel (removing the rustproof coating, important as the solder will not bond to it), that you are soldering too and as mentioned tin the rail and the wire before you solder them together.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Another tip for soldering HO rails is to place the track, on a damp towel. This takes the heat out of the plastic and stops it melting on the top-side.
A good rub with emery, and the use of acid flux will make for a decent joint, making sure everything is tined beforehand.
With track which will be moved often, i put a dab of hot melt glue over the top of the joints. This makes the wire a bit more secure, and provides some insulation.

If you do want to run a HO car on 1/32nd track, place a piece of mains cable insulation over the guide pin. It acts like a sleeve and removes some of the slop.

andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.