SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on building a dragstrip in the near future. Ive been looking at slotdragon timers. I am SYKED!!!! they make an all in one timer that does E.T MPH and Reaction time thats killer! Back when I was doing HO befor we wanted a timer that did reaction time etc... so bad, but you needed a computer and it was expensive the one we found. My crew was a bunch of dragracers to begin with all having had street/strip or drag cars at one time.
Anyways I will probably use Tomy track as I have a bunch of 15" straights.
I need it portable so I can tuck it against a wall when not in use.
My plan is to start off 1/8th mile. Im thinking of getting a 12ft 2x6 and scabbing 12ft 1x4s on each side, the last ft of shut down area(13th ft) would probably free float into a box or tote packed with pillows.....then I want to build(later on another one that I can butt against the end of the 1/8th mile and lock the tracks together for true 1/4mile(and move the end timer).
Paint it black and line the inside track walls(1x4s)with NHRA stickers(maybe AHRA?) and sponsor decals(Moroso Edelbrock Crane Isky etc...)
So whatcha think of my plan?? Any ideas?? Itll be a couple months befor I can get the timer but Im just planning....meanwhile I still need to finish debugging the road course.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So whatcha think of my plan? Any ideas?
Hi Dave....sounds like you've got a great plan! We are using the Slot Dragon timing system on our 1/32 scale 1,000 foot drag track and love it. In one race we even had identical ETs, right down to 1/1000 of a second. The entire track was cut from a single sheet of 3/4 inch, good one side, fir plywood, by ripping five pieces four inches wide, and the remaining into many pieces two inches wide. When assembled, we had five sections that when joined together, gave us a total length of fourty feet. We used four pin trailer connectors to couple the sections electrically.

For stopping the cars, we use reverse polarity of the conductors past the finish line, at reduced voltage. In most cases, the cars come to a stop before reaching the "catch basket", which is nothing more than a cardboard box, filled with cut up foam bits about the size of ice cubes! We've found this method to be very reliable and no harm comes to the cars. I'd be more than happy to answer any more specific questions on our track construction that you may have.

J.Bruce

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like ya got a nice setup. How do you like the slotdragon setup. Does it ever give ya issues or are they pretty reliable?? Seems like a good product from what Ive heard so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We like the Slot Dragon a lot. It has never given us any trouble. We did have an issue when we first set up the track outside (it's too big for in the house), as the sensors were being fooled by sunlight. Relocating it to a shady spot solved that problem. Since then, it has been flawless and I would highly recommend it for your track.

J.Bruce

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't mention that the controllers we're using with our drag track are Koford model M673D. I did a mod to them to add a staging button. It has a resistor which reduces the voltage to the car, so that it can be rolled up to the starting line and light the 'staged' LEDs on the Slot Dragon Xmas tree. It makes it more like NHRA staging!

J.Bruce

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Ill look into those. Yea gotta have it life like.....havent decided if itll be NHRA or old school vintage AHRA yet......decisions...decisions;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure how fast or quick of cars you plan on racing, but I have heard the slot dragon is limited and doesn't register cars the run below .300, I know it's cheap, but the Trackmate is the main system most use because it registers all speeds no matter how fast or quick, just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts