SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...sorry if it is old news to some of you but this is a great slice of the good ole' days - and I don't like HO!

But the atmosphere it conjures up is wonderfully naive, warm and fuzzy.

Okay, okay, you kids at the back stop laughing at the oldtimer going all teary eyed.

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Thank you Wankel!

I started HO at about the same time as my first 1/32 set, back in 63 or so, and the races organized by Aurora were a big deal in the States.

With everybody talking about the slot racing fad in the 60s, they forget that HO was far and away the best seller, and especially Aurora.

I entered the local "Beat the Champ" race in 64 I think, when you had to run with the new Mustang, just released by Aurora. It was Fireball Roberts that year I think, and unfortunately he died in a Nascar race before the Aurora championship... Aurora didn't learn their lesson either, since they later got an endorsement from Peter Revson, although in the meantime they also had Stirling Moss.

I did beat the Champ's time, but that was no big deal: either he was a lousy slot-car driver, or they kept it high on purpose so all the kids could claim they beat the Champ! Still have the Ford-Aurora tie-tack somewhere too....

Read about Henry Harnish later (I think 62 was the first championship), but the one I really remember was 1963 when Ronny Colerick won the final on the Johnny Carson show - and the mags were indignant because Johnny (an icon of American TV) actually made fun of the whole thing - of course, he was a comic, so that was only natural. Didn't watch the show at the time, probably after my bedtime, and who knew it was on anyway???

Ah, memories...
Don

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fantastic link! Its always great to read about the hobby's history. It never ceases to amaze me how well everyone used to dress back in the early sixties. You could set your watch by those haircuts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts