SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The HO Zone will be bigger, longer and - we hope - more stimulating at this year's UK Slot Car Festival.

We'll be sharing the big suite at the back of the venue with the Club Race Zone.

As usual, we'll be running a scale quarter-mile drag strip with HO Top Fuels and Funny Cars in action.

Along side the strip, we pay homage to the 20th anniversary of Micro Scalextric. We'll have a complete collection of the 170 Micro cars released since 1994, together with assorted Micro memorabilia, videos of Micro racing and a birthday cake. There's an in-depth article about the origins of Micro in the festival programme.

On Saturday we'll be running a competition to see who can be the top performer on the Micro Scalextric Pro Rally set. There'll be prizes for the winner and the top racer under 16 years old.

For the Sunday, our focus shifts to the other half of the HO Zone - UK HO Clubs. We'll have pictures, cars and videos from all the HO clubs around the country. We'll also have racers going hammer & tongs on the HO demo track to show what the little cars can do. On Sunday afternoon, we'll hold a fast & furious HO Club challenge - a 30 minute team race. When HO racers are taking a break, the HO demo track will be open to the public on both Saturday and Sunday.

We hope you'll come and see us in the HO Zone and have a look at what the smaller scale has to offer.

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As we've been putting together our HO club wall, there have been two additions to the list - NERCS will be running some HO nights and a new club - McHORC - is being set up in Wiltshire, north of the M4.

If you or your club are interested in running HO, there will be a depth and breadth of experience in the HO Zone over the weekend - so come and have a natter

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
A great team effort this evening saw the 2014 HO Zone take shape with still some finishing touches to do tomorrow.

Highlights are the club wall...

... and the Micro Scalextric birthday corner, now waiting for the arrival of Andrew's collection of 170 cars. Plus a birthday cake - which Adrian Norman will cut at 4.30pm on Saturday.

Hope to see you in the HO Zone over the weekend

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a great Micro celebration today, with Andrew's collection...

And Adrian Norman from Scalextric cutting our 20th anniversary cake...

With the assembled paparazzi

A great team effort and lots of interest in our displays and tracks.

Looking forward to seeing some more HO racers tomorrow for the club challenge at 1pm (ish).

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry if you feel disappointed Tony. Maybe you need to see the wall face-to-face to understand what it does = giving the locations of HO Racing around the UK.

The leaflet that goes with the wall has the map on one side and contact details on the other. Underneath is a list of series hosted by the various clubs - AVHORA, SQUIRM and Eahorc - plus stand-out events including the HO Le Mans 24 hours and the Rockingham oval weekend. The aim of the leaflet design is to get over comprehensive contact info in a clear and effective way.

The way we decided to represent HO racing in the UK this year was with a focus on local club racing and a celebration of 20 years of Micro Scalextric. I think that works better than trying to cover everything. Each year we can focus on different things in different ways to keep the Zone fresh and interesting. I've already suggested to you a focus on vintage Aurora for future years, but you have told me that you're not interested.

It has been a great team effort this weekend - members of all the UK slot car clubs will have joined us in the HO Zone by the end of today

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 18 May 2014, 07:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've already suggested to you a focus on vintage Aurora for future years, but you have told me that you're not interested.

Not quite what I said, I quote

QUOTE Hi Andy, Thanks for all your help for AVHORA, as to having a vintage race at Gaydon, for now I think it would be unlikely, Vintage HO racing has hardly got of the ground with any pace and personally don't think that being at Gaydon would do that much for it either.

Saying that I could be proved wrong, but after Dean's statement that the already established HO clubs have seen no rise in membership since the first Gaydon, I think it unlikely.

But I am not saying no to being involved in a Vintage race at Gaydon in the future.

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Another excellent day in the HO Zone

Rob Heaton bought some amazing cars to add to club display

And we ate the second cake - and here's a close-up of Mrs Harland's masterpiece...

There are loads more (almost a hundred) pics over on flickr.

Tony - sorry I misread your email. It has been a rather busy week/weekend...

· Premium Member
3,814 Posts
It was a tense battle in the Micro Scalextric Pro Rally Challenge (thanks to Doug for the pic)...

In the end, Nicholas Clements (left) and Lucas Sharp (wearing the cap) couldn't be separated - both managed amazing scores of 19 laps in 6 seconds. Lillie Duggan was just a quarter of a lap off the top two. No-one else got anywhere near. I think I managed fifteen laps - which was a decent score...

Nicholas and Lucas received Micro Scalextric sets - courtesy of Scalextric - and a medal each - courtesy of Worthing HO Racing. And the top three all got a copy of the latest issue of Slot Car Mag.

Taking a Micro set and running it as it came out of the box proved great fun. The only thing we did was to swap the braids for some standard copper ones and trued the rear tyres using an emery board. The track, controllers and cars ran beautifully (with the occasional braid tweak) all weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.