SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slot.it has marketed a new hollow axle.
Can any of you explain the need of such an axle (at least theoretically):
is it for lightness, less inertia, less magnetic interference on sidewinder motors?
Thanks
Regards
Edo

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Wow!!

Could anybody truly, genuinly say that they notice a difference in the performance of a slot car after making the change to a hollow axle. Isn't it more likely to run out of true with the weights at either end?

Mr.M

·
Registered
800 Posts
When I raced HO slot cars I used hollow front and rear axles as well as hollow armature shafts. If you want to run with the big dogs you need every edge you can get
Think about that for a minute, tiny HO car axles are a LOT lighter than 1/32nd scale car axles and they made a difference. Not a big difference but enough.

The axles are normally made of stainless steel that is used for hypodermic syringes. Oddly enough (at least to people like me that never go to hospitals) they make some really fat syringe tubes
I don't want to know what the big needles are for. Anyway, these tubes don't flex that much and are very round so they are usually less likely to bend than your regular axles. I'd imagine drill blank axles are right up there with rigidity as well but weigh a ton, compared to hollow axles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Abill's got a good point there, reducing weight, even a little at a time adds up to that little edge that can make all the difference. The less weight the motor has to push, the more power available for accelleration, and less sideways forces in the turns. These differences can add up to a winner or a loser in tight races.

Cheers!

·
Mark Wain
478 Posts
Reducing the weight of rotational transmission parts should make the car accelerate faster and brake faster, plus you have the overall weight of car too (same as lightened flywheels on real cars and hollow gearbox shafts) I cant see it doing much on 1/32 scale, but when the racings close i guess a few hundreths make the world of differance at the finish line!

·
Registered
38 Posts
as they add up, those little things really make a diference. Magnesium wheels and hollow axles DO make a diference when you´re fighting for the undreths of seconds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts