SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I know I am not a regular club member and classify myself as an occasional visitor.

And the skills of the top home racers do stand out when watching from the sidelines.

Now us home racers all know that with a box standard car it takes around 50 laps to get your lap times down to a point where you are unable to improve on the lap times and if you do it is by 0.01 second and it is a fluke. When you get to this point you build on consistency rather than attempt to improve lap times further.

Given that a visitor to a club does 10 second laps, what would you expect the home racer to achieve with the many months and years of experiance on the circuit?

I am just curious. How much of an advantage is it?

At the Wrexham Audi challenge the club home teams won but over 2 hours of racing they had a lead of only maybe 20 laps out of around 600 completed. So not much of an advantage there in an endurance type race with cars that were nearly all the same and only a 2%-3% advantage.

At the Fly Gaugemaster event top club home racers were around 1.0 second per lap quicker than the top visitor which is around 10% better.

That is significant.

So what is the normal club home racer advantage as a percentage in challenge events?

What have you come to expect?

And do top club home racers ever get beaten at home?

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
To my knowledge, n-one has ever beaten our top home drivers (at my two circuits) but we regularly take trips to other clubs and beat their top drivers
(ask Wankel).

It entirely depends on the amount of skill in the club. Some clubs have lots of fast drivers, some don't.

Also, tracks vary in their advantages to home drivers. For example, a track made up of entirely straights and R4 curves, with 10V maximum, will keep most drivers within 0.5 seconds per lap. Whereas our club track give a variance of about 2 seconds per lap.

Another thing to consider is racing 'away' tracks. Some people learn quick, some don't lean at all. I knew a bloke who was regularly in the final of any event on his home track, but I was beating him on my track when I was 12.

In conclusion, no real set answers, it all depends on the drivers and track.

Lotus

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The reason for attending away events is probably a mix of social enjoyment and expanding the challenge of the hobby (or getting away from domestic duties for a weekend).

If you enjoy your racing then it makes sense to travel. In fairness it is accepted that there is a home advantage but this can be negated with the correct organisation and some dedication from the visiting racer. I am staggered that some visiting racers don`t get stuck into the event with some gusto and practise,practise,practise. watch the other drivers and learn. Ask questions and try different set ups and tyres etc.

At the last event we ran, there was the whole of the preceeding day and night for organised practise and racing yet only a couple of people turned up for that part of the event. When practising on the day, most only chose to go round the middle lanes when you need to cover all the lanes with more time spent on the two outside lanes as they are usualy trickier.

A good event is a close run event. The rules and chosen class are important as this raises the enjoyment levels derived from serious racing. People generaly are pleased if they at least feel they are being competitive and stand some chance. It`s important to both acknowledge and reward the best racers and also the visitors and new and young racers. This can be achieved by having trophies for a wide range of standards and categories (check out the Gaugemaster event). BUT never forget that the best racer is the guy that sets the standard, he or she are the one to beat. You go after them big time and if you don`t crack it first time there is always the next time! The home club guys are under the most pressure and don`t forget everyone in that club wants to be top guy so they will all battle hard.

At every event I`ve ever been to the best visiting racers are on a par with the best from the home club racers. The finals are usualy hotly contested and draw admiration an respect from onlookers. At the end of any event there can be only one overall winner but most leave happy if they put on a good dispaly,learned something for next time, had a decent cup of tea and had a natter to fellow enthusiasts.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yes it does, well I think so.

Examples at Wrexham over past few years..

When Moped came to visit first time.. I do believe his SW mag nascar got humiliated by rr3.9's 206 and my delta no mags.

number 2 was october last year, we organised a 4hr enduro and altho we didnt win we still beat 2 slot tech 911's with our Ninco M3's.

Number 3 would be the Audi's we had only finished 10th or below coming upto our event but we managed first albeit JUST by 6 laps. I'm tellin ya our cars cursed!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
QUOTE but we regularly take trips to other clubs and beat their top drivers (ask Wankel).

Mumble, mumble, tyre treating cheats, mumble not fair, mumble grumble.

Tee, hee.

Track knowledge has to count for something but some folks are just plain quick (with or without their tyre treatments!). Mr Tombeur was/is one such fellow. He could just dial in to a track or a car and go fast.

I think he's sold his soul to Old Nick mind, that or it's voodoo.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Surely it is not track advantage, car preparation or anything else, but a combination of hand-eye coordination and desire to do well. Those who want to win will prep cars, practice more (at club and at home) and probably concentrate more on driving than having a nice time. Hand-eye coordination largely a DNA and age thing.

But Moped, why all this questioning? Surely the best way for you to learn is to either go to a club regularly or start your own and get stuck in at gathering members.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You might as well start your club now moped. Sport track pieces are compatible withworld and digital, scalex current cars are compatible, you might as well start building it up now.

I think you made good points about the potential digital offers to future clubs, but only really when digital has taken off and lots of people have it. Until then, most home racers will have analogue cars at home, so either go with analogue (maybe world) or else your club will have to provide all the digital cars too

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not questioning. How is this questioning?

I have made a few observations and I'm curious to see what people think about this.

Its an interesting discussion and as its mainly club racers who post at Slotforum, one goes with the flow and even though one may not be a diehard club racer oneself.

Different folk see things differently.

If I post a topic strictly for home racers it dissapears out of sight. I am learning a lot from the replies so far and clearly many of us only have ourselves to blame for being humbled.

Moped

1 - 8 of 8 Posts