SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Well I have finally decided that the decorating of my living room is a none starter until some major cash injection arrives. So to cheer myself up I have decided the permanent track in the attic will get layed!

It's already boarded but I need to raise the track level to reduce noise & improve access. I have made a faltering start & found that the best result of space v access is to make a platform a mere 9 inches off the floor. Believe me it is worth the effort.
I have managed to avoid the chimney breast, but I have a roof support & the water tank to navigate instead!

So here is the plan so far. It's mainly Scalextric Classic with a few pieces of Sport + RMS & a Pacer system to practise against. I an not going digital because of cost & the fact I mainly race alone
. If i do have any competition, they will have a hard enough time keeping the car on the track as I mainly collect 70's & 80's cars with no mags.

I am planning scenery and I think I have just enough room to add a few small elements to interest the eye.

So, here's the plan so far.

What do you all think?

It will have to be modified as I discover the final dimensions I have but this gives you the main feel of the track.

Any comments welcome. (Nice ones would be a plus as I have no 'face to face' sloters to cheer me up with a friendly race
)

Bacardibeast

P.S. Taxi, you're welcome to a (long over due) return visit, once it's finished, if you can navigate the ceiling hatch.

P.P.S. If the image isn't loading, it's the only image in my Gallery so far.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
One too many https, David - Fixed!
Nice!
QUOTE a Pacer system to practise against. I am not going digital because of cost & the fact I mainly race alone

Yep!
I really empathise with all of that - Pacer is great

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Hi Bacardi,

You've done so many nice designs for other people I'm glad you're finally doing a track for yourself.

I like the looonnnggg straight!

And, clearly, you are an optimist, building a four lane track if you usually race alone!

Have you tried the Challeger car? If you use an adjustable power supply on its lane you can make it competitive with just about any RTR car - turn the voltage down for NC-1 motors, etc.

For the height of laziness, get two Challengers and watch them duke it out against each other.

Be sure to post pics when you get the final design laid down.

Paul
Circuit TrustChrist

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Hey Dave, cool looking track

A return match would be fun when you get the track done, I'll look forward to it. You'll have to come over and try my new creation sometime too.

cheers,

Rob

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pault86: As I have a pacer, I'm not going to go for a Challenger yet, but I do like the idea of 2 Challengers!
And be sure, I am going to document the whole thing (in the hope of getting featured on the forum
).

Taxi: You'll be the first to know, once the track is running. Since you kindly invited me to your home circuit, I would be delighted if you could come over. & I'll be intouch soon, to arrange a visit to your new track! I look forward to it & this time I'll bring my few Fly cars & a few 'none mags' to see how you handle them?!

As for anyone else reading this, any comments on the track design?

Cheers,
Bacardibeast

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Great looking track, looks fun.

Don't forget me when your dishing out the invites!...

Regards

Alan

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
bacardibeast,
that is a mighty fine layout!!

i personally like the idea of only one x-over in each track, so that each complete lap is 2 trips around. This will give your cars a chance to negotiate both the inner and outer curves on each lap, and increase the lap length to 32m +

(Maybe if you remove the straight x-overs)

Have fun!! anyway.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Matt: I'm not a great believer in equal lane length. Personnally I go by the theory that the outer lane may be longer, but it has a higher average speed which makes up for it. e.g. the shorter route, with tighter corners, means you have to slow down earlier/more.

Make sense?

Bacardibeast

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If you're going to overlap the straights is might be fun to have it directly underneath then make the bridge up with a heap of girders to look like those underpass / overpass roads American films inevitably have the best car chases through!!

I'm rather keen on the basis of the layout though - looks like it could be a lot of fun!

·
David Moss
461 Posts
We're on the same line of thinking Eno! Sadly the level of the roof looks like it's going to knacker that idea! Instead I was thinking of making an underpass just before the open corner at the end of the back straight. So the esses before the start/finish line would be above them, but on the same level as most of the track. (Does that make sense
).

The loops at either far end can be raised slightly & I think I might be able to drop the start/finish line (+ pits) if I'm lucky. I'm working on that now, but it's not easy laying track, measuring then cutting the wood. I'll get there though. I'd don't want it to be a Thruxton. You know, all flat. I'm trying to get some small undulations in on the back straight too. Not much but enough to make it look interesting.

I've put down a few more base boards & the next time I'm up in the loft, I'll take a few piccies. (Trouble is, I've just got the next series of CSI:Vegas & Miami on DVD! I haven't got satellite, cable or even Channel 5!
)

My Dear mother only works on Saturday so it's the only day I can work in the attic without complante!
But I've been planning this for so long, I'll get there!

I've also been talking to 'Scalextric Restoration' to downsize my collection & refubish runners for the track. Out are the Metro's, Sierra's & TR7's but the old Porsche 911's Mini's & side cars are all due for a complete retro fit!

I've also just obtained another Fly 911 GT1 (to make 3) and am looking for one more plus a Panoz, Venturi & Lister to run against my beloved yellow Donnington Marcos.

The resent post on 'home made trees' has given me ideas, along with watching one of my favourite films 'Restless Natives'. I think the scenery is going to be Scotts Highland/Cotswold wilderness. A sort of old, run down, forgotten circuit where locals race & teams test in private. Although, I still plan on having a spoof Living Dead graveyard, fenced off
! Well, it's the old Gamer in me and I have a box of unused Zombies & Skeletons use up!

Keep watching. The pase is about as fast os the Living Dead, but it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers,
Bacardibeast

·
Registered
139 Posts
Restless natives is a classic and superb music to race along to.
I picked up the DVD a few months ago at the Casbah club gig in Aberdeen.

Colin

PS looking forward to seeing photos of the track. I must get round to taking photos of my attic layout.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so here's the next update.
The boarding out is slow going due to time and trying not to annoy the neighbors.

But as promised, the plan has been modified and lengthened. I've also named the corners for ease of reference. (It might also give you an idea of my music taste
)

With a bit of Photoshop work you can see what I'm working with.
The track is the full length of the attic and now the full width!
The Blue areas are Grandstands, Marshall posts & bridges. THe two simple bridges at the ends of the straights are the Dunlop & Goodyear bridges & will be used as braking point markers.
The Twick now means I can slightly elevate the track, as it brings it out from the roof, and I can get the half enclosed tunnel I was after.
Banshee is the corner I plan on having the spoof Living Dead crypt, behind a gravel trap & some mesh fencing.
The Pit Lane will be quite narrow but as long as it gives me some scope for a few figures, it will do for me. It's not meant to look like a big F1 track. More of a small, local event venue with practicing facilities.

We, I hope you like what you see. I'll get back to boarding. And, of course, any comments are welcome.

Cheers
Bacardibeast

·
Registered
911 Posts
all looks very nice, except the kink in the straight..... i think you shold keep the whole thing flat out straight!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Very nice layout. Will the kink affect the speed that much? Looks nearly flat to me but it's been a while since I've physically used a track.

With a straight that long, I'd be inclined to have it flat out tbh but if you're going for something a little more challenging to catch unwary competitors out, fair play to you.

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
BacardiBeast,

The latest plan looks good.

The only thing i would change is the twick, i would have it immediately exiting the ironmaiden, so you then have a good 12 straights to hammer down. (just my opinion).

Also, the 2 bridges (dunlop/goodyear) will look a bit odd, as you have placed them both on elevated sections of track???
Anyways, please get your camera out and take some pix. It looks like there is a lot of potential.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Well it's been a few hundred years since the last update (well I do like Vampire films
), but there is some interesting news for anyone who is interested.

First of all, here is the final track plan (so far!).

Not much has changed but I've made a final few tweaks. I've also made a change in the height of the table. I'm getting too old too have to bend down to a floor level track so it's been raised to approx 4ft off the floor. This still gives me plenty of room with a few minor mods.

So here's the work to date.

This stretch is under the water tank. The track you see is the outside lane. The further most track will be raised to create an overpass, with a cavern cut in to the rock for the lower level.

The furthest corner will still have a sandtrap, behind which will be a broken down crypt for my little 'undead' scene. Sort of 'Shaun of the Dead'.

Here you can see the inside lane of the 'Complex' starting. In the background you can see the area where the remaining 6 metres of track will be laid, once the table has been built and the floor level has been cleared.

As work progresses ( as I STILL don't have a job!!!
) there will be, doutlessly, more areas for the undead to roam (well the track is in the depth of the Cotswold, pretty much abandoned).

I'll update you all with more as and when it happens. Oh, and I'd appreciate any comments or advise.

Hope you like it. (Soon Taxi, I promise I'll have a track for you to visit!
)

Bacardibeast

1 - 20 of 34 Posts