SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and girls?),

Finally, after moving to our new house 1 1/2 year ago we got to building our new home track. I doubted for a while if I wanted to make a topic here as I see myself as a real amateur compared to some of the wizards here. But then again, perhaps there are a lot more like me out there and perhaps you guys can give me some advice along the way.

The track: Table is 4 x 1.25 meters(no more space), Scalextric digital and PBpro / SSDC. We asked ourselves (me and the kids) what kind of track we wanted to make, wishlist: Long straight, scenery (preferably hills/mountains) (my doughter), serious racing (my son), bridges and lights (myself). In short a very enthousiastic / ambitious list.

So we started. I'll try to include some pictures here.

first the track layout:

Then the table (with cork underlayment):

First layout, after a lot of problems, I got the PB connected to the computer (SSDC). What a joy!!

And then some first impressions. The Lane swerve Chicane is in (thanks Graham), and the 360 turn is great! By the way the maserati is a nice car but a nightmare to drive

Biggest question now: Where to put the computer screen. Would be best in the middle of the long straight, but there's no room (roof is in the way), now it's on a shelf in the corner which is not ideal.
anyone good ideas?

We'll keep you updated.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Great start I really like your pit lane set up with how the return lane works and the 360 degree turn looks a blast although some broders might be handy for when the tails hang out on the decline.

With regard to the computer screen can you build up the back straight high enough to plavce the screen ender the straight (just a thought).

Look forward to watching your progress with this project.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for comment. Concerning the screen; Underneath the long straighth I want to make pitboxes etc. So this is not my first option. I molested the screen yesterday evening for a solution. I think it will work, I'll post a pic this evening.

Pitlane is terrific , especially if you're not used yet to digital racing. It's a miracle every time you can swith lanes. My daughter drives every round through the pits "because she likes the single track part so much"

Tonight we are going to score some 3mm plywood for under the track.

By the way, I took out the chicane before the PB, I missed the "eye" a few times and now we have a bit more space for starting grid.
Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK as promised the foto's of the changes.

first the screen, it's a big improvement, now you can have a quick look when you pass it. It just fitted between roof and table (not quite, but it will do)

And the new start/finish straight, it's an improvement, so far we had no cars missing the "eye".

that was the work till yesterday, we'll keep you posted

·
David.
1,140 Posts
I agree, you can look at the monitor and you don't end up slowing down much. Before I bought the APB I used to look at the display near the track but I'd end up going at least 1 second slower on the next lap, but with the new one I can put the display where I don't have to strain to look at it and this saves quite a bit of time. So one piece of advice, make sure you always stand so you can see the display clearly. Then you will win, hopefully. Good track by the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for encouraging comments,

In the last pic you can see that the PB is just "hanging around". So I adjusted the table a bit. Now PB, Keyboard and mouse have a nice area.

Also something for the controllers, not exactly finished but already big improvement.

So far for today, looking forward to the weekend!!

grtz

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If you can source an "arm" for mounting monitors you could connect the arm to the end wall or to a stud/rafter in the ceiling and then adjust the monitor over the track to a position that is easy to see.

In fact if mounted on the end wall, it could extend out over the track and be collapsed against the wall when not in use.

Just an idea.

You see these "arms" for mounting bolted into the back of the monitor. I see them in banks, stores, etc. Maybe check out a hardware store or TV seller for ideas?

Cheers!

PS I am working on a layout that is about 1.2 m x 3.6 m (12' x 4') and I got my inspiration from Abcando's layout which is the same size (click here) ... check it out! It may give you some ideas as well.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I am jealous ! Real nice and tidy job. I wish I had that space for my track. Well, I do have, but as you know It is against the ceiling. So, installing and cleaning up everytime, let alone connecting cables etc. is something I really woud like to miss.
Great job with the monitor too, maybe a piece of plexiglass instead of the barriers would improve sight on the bottom part. Have fun this weekend !

PS I really like the look of the porsche. How does It perform against the Aston ? I prefer the porsches over the Astons in general. Astons are too 'heavy' and use a lot of fuel, but easier to control.

·
Digital Guru
11,353 Posts
hi
The maserati mc12 is one hell of a car but in order to make it corner its one car i had to add magnet too rather than takeaway.

I snapped a standard magnet in half and added that to the existing one,now it handles really nice with some tail out slides if pushed hard.

Also quite a difficult one to chip,f1 type needed.

All the best for the weekend,will be working on mine sunday,With the central heating well and truly switched ON.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

thanks for comments

@Bigbird, I see what you mean, I'll experiment this weekend.
@ sealevel, I took a glance at Abcando's track, Holy s... what a scenery. Thanks for link
@ 4.3 Zook and raikkonen fan, When (and if!) I get to the scenery part I'll have to do some serious thinking about taht. For now I'm just happy with it's position
@ Minardi, plexiglass is a good idea, I'll wait till final scenery though. Porsche is much faster! (just look at top gear list!)
By the way, I asked some questions on Slottrack, but I'm missing you there. Still have problems logging in?

regards,

Hans

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Yes, still having problems logging in, but depends on where I am (nowadays 2 different job locations). And haven't checked yesterday, so that's why you haven't seen me there. I'll check this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK,

It has been a while since my last post. Shame on me. This does not mean that no work has been done. So here a little update:
the raised part of the track is now supported through 3 mm plywood. whole track is now embedded in 8mm MDF.
Here you see the right part of the track. This will become the urban area, with a bridge and underneath a flooded area of waste land (which you see often underneath brdiges).

Then the middle part of the track, this will be the circuit area. With Pit / garage, tribunes etc. Pit is already finished

Also with lights, sorry but very bad picture

And on the left side the hills. PURRING part is ready.

The Nissan's climbing up the hill

And after that the long straight (looks quite long this way
)

On this picture you can see the exit of the pits area which runs through the hills

So that is my progress till today, next stop:
Working on rocks with tiling gule to make the surface a bit more realistic
Start working on the bridge and city

any (positive) comments are appreciated

regards,

Tracing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.