SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am going to be building a scalextric digital layout in my garage, measuring approximately 4 metres x 1 metre, widening to 1.5 metres at one end, (a slight L shape).

So, I need to build a table for it to go on.

Any suggestions on the most cost effective way of doing this?

I would like to be able to store things under the Scalextric Layout, so access will be important.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Greg Gaub
14,661 Posts
most cost effective? go to your builders store and get some OSB (oriented strand board) in 4x8 sheets. It's the cheapest. Then pick up the cheapest 2x4 lumber they have.make simple frames for the OSB to sit on, and nail it down. Done. OSB isn't especially heavy, and neither is the track. If you think you might be standing on it, then slap some cross members in your frame, and add some struts and braces to the legs to keep the stiff and straight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i figured that might end up being the case. Just got to work out how to put together a decent enough frame etc.

Want it to be sturdy but like you say, its not like it will be holding any real weight.

Also going to have a raised section of track so need to build a nice ramp, probably with some thin ply?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Slingshotx @ 18 Jan 2012, 20:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Get some sheet board I.E. MDF then buy a few Vika Curry legs from Ikea for £2 each.

Sounds interesting...just disappearing to google this!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Splendid suggestion! Although quite short at just 70cm, that will probably be the perfect height for my boys to be able to see well. Think i might order a few!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Hiya Bored,

Hope you took a look at mr Flips table, they are neat.

Mine will be similair with a lower level for storage, however I'm going to use these,

Its an adjustable baseplate for use in Scaffolding, the reds square being 6x6". Inverted this will attach to lengths of scaffold tube cut to the right height. Then I'll probably attach castors, like these, to make them easily movable.

I'll probably fix an intermadiate shelf to brace it all.

Oh, by the Way, my pal and my wife both work in the Scaffold Industry, so all these bit with "arrive" when I've cleared a space in the garage

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds good too, although seeing as I'm not in the scaffold trade, I reckon that could get pretty pricey!

Just need to find the right board now, as I would imagine MDF is quite vulnerable to damp and therefore will warp.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Does anyone know how these Vika Curry legs would fit onto the MDF I mean MDF is not the best type of material to screw into, so would these legs screw or bolt into the MDF.

Athrlyth

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
If you go to the ikea page for the legs there is an installation guide for them.
The leg comes in two parts: the leg itself with a threaded stud in it and a round mounting disk with a female connection for threaded stud -
you would probaby need some 2x4 stubs/ends of wood to use as bases for the mounting disk as i think the screws required are 27mm for the mounting disk.

I am seriosuly considering using these legs - but not MDF, maybe WPB or standard ply - but thats personal preference

·
Registered
809 Posts
I built a fairly substantial set-up measuring 15' x 5'6" and the base was made from sawn 4" x 1" timber. I got the wood from the hardware shop my son manages, so luckily I got 20% discount, but sawn is cheaper than dressed either way.
I'm sorry but I don't know how to insert a link, but the website I found the guide for building a slot car table was by Googling "building a slot car table" and it took me to lugnutsracing.com with a really useful illustrated set of instructions. Some other useful stuff on there as well, downloads and so forth.

Hope that helps,

Dave

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Just come back from a day out to Ikea, to look at the table legs which I thought was the answer. good news is that the Vika Curry are cheap, and they may work with MDF but it would be a gamble I also thought of gluing and screwing an extra piece of wood to the MDF so that I could then screw the table legs onto that. I have now changed my mind and have come up with what I think will be the ideal answer to my own problem and that is Vika Artur, not so easy to store when not in use, but I think better for MDF.

Athrlyth

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
QUOTE (Boredfatman @ 19 Jan 2012, 11:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just need to find the right board now, as I would imagine MDF is quite vulnerable to damp and therefore will warp.

MDF is vulnerable to damp but you can seal it. Paint it with cheap PVA glue watered down 2 parts water to one part glue. Apply with a brush or a roller. If you are building your tables to go against a wall, especially a single-skinned wall, keep anything wooden away from the wall using plastic. I have some spare damp proof membrane (the type used under concrete floors to keep the damp form rising up through the floor) that I cut into strips and place between the wood and the wall. You could use sheet polystyrene and if you covered the wall that would help keep out the cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts