A few months back I picked up a rather sorry looking Airfix-MRRC Honda F1 with a view to renovating it - never thought I'd actually get around to doing it of course. Well, that's forums for you I suppose!
I began by stripping it down to it's component parts and giving it a general clean up:
Quite a few parts were missing: one mirror, suspension detail, drivers head and the underside of the nose. The nose was a bit of a curiosity in itself as it appeared to have a slight "V" indent and was a little short compared to my Model Cars plans. Maybe it ran like this somewhere or maybe I just had more missing from the car than I first thought?
Anyway, I set about correcting it as follows:
Armed with a tube of Chip & Dent filler and aluminium car repair mesh I made a small bridge to the underside of the nose:
This was held in place using Araldite Rapid.
After a quick fill (not one of howmet's snack breaks I might add), I lengthened the nose by gluing on a small piece of plasticard,
sanded it to shape and then hollowed it out by drilling a few small holes, finishing off the inside with a small Minicraft grinder.
Next I added more mesh and filler to cover the steering mechanism and rear motor mount cut-outs and ground out the inside of the shell to give as much room for the motor as possible:
Still more work to do but now on with the chassis...