SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went mad on fleabay yesterday and ended up buying 3 Autoart cars. I know they look fantatstic but that usally means they are hopeless on the track. If that is the case can they be made to go well. I ended up with A 1/32 a red 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia circuit car, a 1/32nd 1972 1.6 Lanci Fulvia rally car and a 1/24th 1972 Citroen Xsara. I think I got them at bargain prices but if I have to spend a lot to make them go well perhaps not.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
When buying any car I think one has to accept that they might not be as perfect as one would wish. That goes for any manufacturer. Happily however at least your choice of the Alfa should be OK Review

·
Kitbasher
4,253 Posts
Can you tell us where they are sale ata 'bargain price'? I have been looking for one for ages

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tifosi
The guy I bought them from on Ebay tells me he is listing 3 more Alfas a Jag D Type and a C Type tonight

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
I think that, for the most part, all you'll NEED to do is replace the tires for something other than the plastic-rubber-stuff they tend to use. Great for looks, but terrible for traction.
The Lamborghini Countach I recently got runs great, except for the pathetic rear grip.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tyres and gears are not the best. Replace them and do whatever you do to make your usual stuff run on whatever it is you run them on, wood, plexy etc, then stick em back on fleabay.

No, I'm kidding, you should be able to get some fun out of what you have there. Did I say to change the motor too? Tyres, gears and a motor and away you go.

·
Circuit Owner
5,893 Posts
In my experience the AutoArt cars vary considerably from model to model.

The Shelby Cobra Concept merely required the loose rear wheel to be glued on. I chipped it for SSD, lubed it and it is a very quick car on its standard rubber - right up there with the F430 Super Resistant which has way wider tyres.

The Evo rally cars however are rubbish - jump out of the slot, carry straight on at hairpins, noisy-as-hell gear mesh. Not good.

The modern Mustang street car version is also quite good - just needs a deeper guide. A bit big to drive hard though.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
Why is that guilia called Guilia? I thought that was a junior 1300/1600 or the Gtv 2 litre?
Just a question, coz the real guilia or guilia nova was much more square like ( best ugly car ever).

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I think your idea of a bargain is a bit different to mine.. The 1/32 were £50 each with postage and although they are both beautiful looking cars and don't appear on Ebay often that's quite expensive in my opinion.

Some Autoarts can be had for less than £15 and at that they're a bargain, still take a bit of work to get 'em running well but they look lovely.

Congrat's on the purchase, you bought two very nice cars (and a big Xsara), if it makes you feel better to call them a bargain then don't let us stop you..

All the best.

·
Circuit Owner
5,893 Posts
Just appeared on the bay - £46

Ouch!

I paid £14 for the Mustang, under a tenner for my Cobra, under a tenner for the Evo and £5.95 for the 1/24 Xsara which I bought to cannibalise to provide running gear for a project - the whole car for less than the cost of a motor. That's my idea of a bargain.

The Alfas are VERY pretty though!

·
Registered
406 Posts
QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 24 Sep 2012, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Why is that guilia called Guilia? I thought that was a junior 1300/1600 or the Gtv 2 litre?
Broadly speaking all the subsequent GT/GTAm models were based on what was originally the Alfa Romeo Giulia (not Guilia) GT body. The "GT" part distinguished this car from the "cooking" (and as you mentioned rather ugly, boxy) model Giulias.

By the time the GTAm (which Autoart modeled) and Junior (1300cc model) came around the "Giulia" part of the name seems to have been dropped.

And FWIW: mine runs beautifully on wood without magnets with just urethane tyres, the guide shimmed down somewhat and some TLC and a bit of lead low down. The motor is way too powerful but it handles surprisingly well. Actually amazingly well for what it is. The wheels are round, they are well fixed to the axles, the gears mesh well and are quiet, the bushings are tight enough etc etc: lots of positives.

I really like mine: it has character and is somewhat different: not just another fast car. But then again I have always rooted for the underdog...

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
If you have a sense of humour then Autoart are fine .....
Seriously though, I have found standard Scalextric rear axles and pinions appear to fix these cars up nicely ...

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
Thanks superslab. I might try one one of these days. I have an old ( junior/gtv) madeby teamslot That was rather disappointing, maybe this one could bring a bit more fun. I have spme autoart cars and recognise the smoothness you described.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Why are some Autoart models so hard to come by?

I'd love to buy the Alfas and Lancia, amongst others but find them hard to find at reasonable prices. £50 a pop is far too much for these, at £25 I'd buy 'em all day long.

Is there a problem with the wholesale supply of Autoart slot cars in the UK? I know some of the rallly cars are "ten a penny" but other models (Jag's Alfas Lancia etc) are hard to come by and expensive when they come up. What's the story?

(I notice now that the Ebay seller has tested the value of his limited supply of alfas that he's now listed them at £50 plus p&p on Ebay.)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can get the Alfa from Spain at around £30, the postage is a little prohibitive at £11, but I presume if you was to get a few cars the seller would combine postage and the price per car would be lower, Electricdreams in the US have the Alfa's at £38 with postage around £7. Expand your ebay searches to worldwide, you may be surprised at what savings can be made. Regards Jason

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having taken delivery of my Alfa and Lancia today I can see why the classic Autoart cars go for so much. The detail and the finish of both of my cars ia phenominal. The paint work is flawless. I have run the Alfa briefly round my little test track and there is nothing wrong with the gear mesh and after using lighter fluid on the tyres they aren't to bad. Someone said the tyres were like plastic, well mine are definitely rubber and grip quite well. The little motor is quite pokey too. . I opened the car up to have a look see and the build quality is good, there is a plug and socket in the lighting cicuit so you can separate chassis and body completely, Front wheels have alloy stub axles running in bronze bearings and the rear axle also runs in bronze bearings. I think the car has a lot of potential. The Lancia though is just to pretty to run and ruin so it will remain on the shelf.

·
Registered
406 Posts
QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 25 Sep 2012, 11:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have an old ( junior/gtv) madeby teamslot That was rather disappointing, maybe this one could bring a bit more fun. I have spme autoart cars and recognise the smoothness you described.
A local fellow racer has the Teamslot car: looks weird as the proportions are all wrong, especially on the roof height.
QUOTE (Bigtone @ 25 Sep 2012, 11:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having taken delivery of my Alfa and Lancia today I can see why the classic Autoart cars go for so much. The detail and the finish of both of my cars ia phenominal. The paint work is flawless. I have run the Alfa briefly round my little test track and there is nothing wrong with the gear mesh and after using lighter fluid on the tyres they aren't to bad. Someone said the tyres were like plastic, well mine are definitely rubber and grip quite well. The little motor is quite pokey too. . I opened the car up to have a look see and the build quality is good, there is a plug and socket in the lighting cicuit so you can separate chassis and body completely, Front wheels have alloy stub axles running in bronze bearings and the rear axle also runs in bronze bearings. I think the car has a lot of potential. The Lancia though is just to pretty to run and ruin so it will remain on the shelf.
Having long been a lone voice actually praising some of the features and performance of the Autoart Alfa it is nice to have two people say positive things about them close together in one thread! I have always apreciated some of the above average mechanical design features of the model that you mentioned.

Given the quality of modeling, the finish and the mechanical aspects I am actually surprised that they are not more expensive.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
Well, the rally Citroen Xsara and Peugeot 206 were never the faster ones but the glow of the blue lights in th edark and the look at daytime made them worth every penny. and run against each oth you dont need the extra power some scalextric or ninco cars have. The lancer and 307 were never my favourites, allthough they do run great too. AA is really underappreciated. only thing I would love to have are these narrow tyres with more grippy rubber.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
HI
I have the autoart evo and as per earlier post it would not stay in the slot. Then thefront pinion split so I running it as rear wheel drive only, didn't improve the handling. Then after doing some work on it ran it without the body screws and suddenly it was a completely different car. I now run it with the body screws very loose and it stays in the slot perfectly and grip from the tyres deems so much better. I think the problem stems from the body's being quite heavy and this is what causes a lot of the out of the box handling problems.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I ordered the Fulvia from the US for £35ish including postage this week, it took a little while on Google to find a price I liked.

I've got the Autoart Impreza and it's a fun slow car, all I've done to it is disable the guide centreing spring (this cured the going straight on at corners) and oiled the skinny tyres, it's a challenge to drive but is quicker than a Scalextric Impreza but not as easy to drive as an SCX Evo, and it isn't even worth comparing it to a Ninco rally car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts