SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Its obvious England is bent towards model trains as I notice all the magazine shops are loaded up with train magazines but not a single slot car mag... sad but true.

But here's the thing... I think it quite strange how the official Hornby magazine is devoted to trains when they could easily devote a few pages towards the rear of their magazine to a product they have sold for generations. After all, it is called "HORNBY magazine"

While I'm at it, I might as well stick it in deeper regarding HORNBY.... Last weekend a friend & I made a pilgrimage to the central Hornby center in Kent. What a major disappointment...

We were expecting to find a few decent bargains in the shop considering it's attached to the main warehouse and all.. but prices were way over the top ! You pay more there than in a normal shop.. just doesn't add up ? What sort of marketing ploy is that ? And to top things off, the amount of stock on the show room was pitiful.. disgusting really considering that's their primary hub for promoting HORNBY products. Major shake up needed within the marketing department I feel.
The museum is so small .. They've dedicated a large area to a cafeteria which is fine.. but hey the toy museum in Brighton has it on you mob and they are a small private run business.. just doesn't figure.. does it ?

If I were Hornby .. I'd be knocking down a few extra walls and expanding the museum & shop.. big time ! Its not like they are hard up for space.. the warehouse is massive
Hornby.. you have a warehouse right there... there should be every 2010-2011 car available on the shop floor.. not perhaps 5-6

No excuses Hornby .. I feel somewhat ashamed to be a member of your club after seeing that... Let's face the facts .. your museum sucks big time.... until you can prove us wrong

Now just to prove a point here's a photo of the shop area dedicated to Scalextric.... what a joke.

this is a photo showing the tiny area dedicated to scalextric.. I think I own more cars than that.. and I've only been collecting for less than a year !!!! this has to be joke.. seriously. maybe the real museum shop was around the corner & I simply missed the main entrance.. if so i apologize .. but if not, I feel Hornby should be

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't know what to comment on the scale of the museum but I can understand why the shop is so small. Hornby sells the very great majority of their products through resellers and with the toy market being so competitive in terms of what people buy and where they buy it from then to offer knock-down deals direct from the manufacturer would only alienate their resellers, most of whom are making very skinny margins as it is anyway. If you're going to devote space to slot cars instead of computer games and the latest schoolyard craze then it has to be worthwhile. I can see the point in Hornby clearing the racks of discontinued and poor selling items (like the factory shops and outlets at places like Bicester) but new stuff has to go through the reseller channel otherwise, one by one, the merchants we all use so happily now will fold or do something else and that can't be good news for the hobby. I wonder how many visitors they get in deepest, darkest Kent anyway?

·
Registered
259 Posts
The visitors car park was full....
So let's take into account the retail shops scattered around the country & they may feel obligated to keeping sale prices slightly above the norm.. that's no excuse for limited stock.. is it?
And what about the magazine ?

·
Registered
259 Posts
but then again.... they have been operating for a few generations .. so who am I to pass judgement. Don't get me wrong.. they are still a great company & i applaud them for bringing so many smiles to kids faces around the world & I must admit I do enjoy being a keen scaley collector myself.. perhaps i simply bit too hard and jumped the gun... perhaps not.

I'm still relatively new to the collecting/ race scene so I guess with my limited knowledge base I simply feel it strikingly obvious they are letting enthusiasts down somewhat... or am I wrong ?

p.s .. what a coincidence .. just as i complete this post, there's a knock at the front door... delivery man passes me the 7th edition of Scalextric Ultimate Guide.

Cool !!!!

·
fred
1,608 Posts
from a pragmatic point of view, the main customers of hornby must be some of the big chains. I would therefore suspect that hornby just pay lip service to the enthusiast/ small guy, no surprises for me I am sorry to say.

Not sure why you are shocked at the 'over the top' prices for the products. Prices reflect the need to maintain profit margins and NOT value to the consumer!

·
Robb
581 Posts
Wow.
I don't really know where to start with this, but I think mickman, you've slightly lost the plot (or blown the wrong horn) in the nicest way!
It wasn't you trying to sell the quattro x cars for £800 was it?

The shop at the factory was originally just for employees, then as the museum - which in my opinion is good - came about was opened to the public, as an addition to the museum, not an attraction.
I'll start by saying, the Hornby shop - online and at the factory - is run as a seperate entity to Hornby trade sales, which is why you may find things there that aren't in the shops and vice versa.
What you seem to be asking is for the factory shop to be cheaper than retail shops, effectively asking them to compete with their own shops? That wouldn't make sense, and you soon would have no-one stocking any Hornby products at all.
I'm sure you'd be quick to complain there were no shops stocking Scalextric.

QUOTE (mickman @ 31 Aug 2011, 12:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The visitors car park was full....
So let's take into account the retail shops scattered around the country & they may feel obligated to keeping sale prices slightly above the norm.. that's no excuse for limited stock.. is it?
And what about the magazine ?
'Limited' stock is down to the Hornby shop and whoever runs it, but I would hope their priority is to supply official retailers, and I think you'll find none of the products in their factory shop are above rrp.

I presume the magazine you are talking about is the one stocked by newsagents called 'Hornby Magazine'?
If so, it is not made by Hornby.

You say you feel let down, but don't say why?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ya,
no not me selling the complete collection of QuattroX cars for £800 ...

I'm glad you replied Robb as it definitely explains things somewhat.. I guess I can step down from my little soap box and quit blowing the horn

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woops.. I'm back up on the box again...

After chatting to a friend who's been visiting the Hornby facility annually.. even before there was officially a shop, he says you were able to purchase loads of cheap cars accessories etc.. ?

Times have changed I guess ...

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi all
I do agree with **** here I've been going down to Hornby for years to buy my scalextric.
and this last trip I was shocked there was so little stock one small wall they should at least have all there new
releases on show to temped you in buying plus it all ways had old stock unboxed or damaged/returns items
to buy now sadly I wont be driving 160miles any more .
Ps museum is carp with all the items they could have in there on the scalextric side is a joke I have more of a collection than that.
regards ade

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (mickman @ 31 Aug 2011, 14:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After chatting to a friend who's been visiting the Hornby facility annually.. even before there was officially a shop, he says you were able to purchase loads of cheap cars accessories etc.. ?

Times have changed I guess ...
Could of been.
I've only been going there a few years, and as I understood, the shop was only open a couple of hours, and for employees, but it obviously was open to the public as well at some point.

QUOTE (staglinger @ 31 Aug 2011, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been going down to Hornby for years to buy my scalextric.
and this last trip I was shocked there was so little stock one small wall they should at least have all there new
releases on show to temped you in buying plus it all ways had old stock unboxed or damaged/returns items
to buy now sadly I wont be driving 160miles any more.
160 miles is quite a trek to save a few quid!
What did it used to be like?

QUOTE (staglinger @ 31 Aug 2011, 16:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ps museum is carp with all the items they could have in there on the scalextric side is a joke I have more of a collection than that.
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate for Scalextric here - what do you think should be in there?

One thing I'll say about the museum, is remember it's not long been open, and never going to be a massive attraction.
It's still evolving (and getting bigger), and they have alot more than is on display at any one time. Also, it's a Hornby museum, not just Scalextric. It's not worth visiting if thats all you want to see.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Robb
it wasnt open to to public only at xmas but I had made a good impact say no more.
Its is along way to go but it wasnt just to save money as to get agood selection of stuff.
havent got many good model shops around that stock what you or I need most of the time.
The museum well lets start with looking at all the stuff they have made in what over 50 years
theres no reason they cant find alot more items and more info on the product for people wouldnt hert.
Plus they have a digital track layed out and should have someone there to show the kids (all of us)
how to use it .It was busy the day I went in school hols tons of kids and parents there and no one know how digital worked
the cars had briads missing /worn out cant at the end of the day repace them 20yards for new one not got to order them in have they.
If cant have someone there all day some one from shop could look in check thing over show kids how to at least change lanes if not braking
stopping over taking would sell more sets on way out though shop arr wait amin did have any stock in shop.

·
Robb
581 Posts
QUOTE (staglinger @ 31 Aug 2011, 18:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the cars had briads missing /worn out cant at the end of the day repace them 20yards for new one not got to order them in have they.
Like it!

Hmm, I've only been round it when it's been shut, but it seems some of those issues need addressing, particuarly when it's busy.
Worth passing on to Adrian.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do appreciate the fact there is a museum.. Fantastic, well done whoever we should be thanking for it

BUT

having said that, there are some issues that could be addressed that I feel might shed a little light by creating this thread...

& in regards to HORNBY magazine. I feel they could add a few pages for Slot Cars.. after all they are flying the Hornby flag, yes ?

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
The Hornby mag is specifically for the huge train collector market.
They`d get very little mileage out of putting slot cars in.
It would really have to have it`s own mag, just like Hornbys train & Airfix mags.
But, the history of slot cars is littered with failed magazines.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Registered
259 Posts
hhmm.. I guess you have a point there loosesalute,

A lot of people would simply skim over the last few pages of slot car related material and simply drop it back in the magazine rack ... I know I probably would

Now if it were a real HORNBY mag. they'd do the right thing yeah.... & even call it something like " PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES " ... how cool would that be ! (not)

but in the real world that's just not feasible.

Oh, the pain of living in England & not being able to stroll down to the local news agency & pick up the latest edition of HORNBY SLOT CAR MAG.

p.s: I'm not too worried about the pricing at the museum... its more about the limited range of products..... Grrrrrr !!!

·
Robb
581 Posts
It covers everything under the Hornby brand, and a few that aren't!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having visited the Hornby Visitor Centre this Easter weekend, before reading this thread, I must say I am surprised at what I read here.

My wife and I went to the Hornby Visitor Centre not knowing what to expect, except that we would see a museum, cathedral models, a shop and a cafe.

We found our experience of all four to be highly enjoybale. The museuem did concentrate mainly on rail, but was very informative, interesting and entertaining. The scalextric set part of the museum was small, but considering the history of all product lines probably fair. It was frustrating not being able to have a go on the small digital track due to it being monopolised by kids, but it was easter holidays, in the afternoon!!

The cathedral models were excellent and the display descriptions and surrounding boards very informative.

The cafe was spacious and airy. The menu was standard cafe fayre, but reasonibly priced. The quality of food that we had was excellent. Much higher than a lot of tourist attractions we have been to (and if we are honest, this is a tourist attraction, all be it small - the name Hornby Visitor Centre is a kind of clue).

The shop that **** disliked so much was exactly what I expected - which was not Hamleys. Prices were standard rrp, and yes shopping around you could probably get cheaper. However as a member of the Scalextric Collectors Club I got 20% off what I purchased. I also found a bargain in the new APB knocked down to £90. So I have no complaints with the shop at all.

Considering how busy it was there, and the amount of stuff people were buying, they obviously didn't dislike the shop either. And the staff were always polite and attentive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts