Slot Cars Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hornby has hired a video games industry hotshot to pave the way for a first-time move into the US.

Simon Jeffery, who was president of Star Wars maker LucasFilm's video games division until October, has been appointed to the new position of marketing director. Jeffery oversaw the launch of video games such as Knights of the Old Republic and Rogue Squadron III. His remit is to drive Hornby's expansion into Italy and France, and plan a route into what he called the "massive US market".

Mr Jeffrey will take responsibility for distribution and development of new Hornby products and be a "key member" of the team implementing international expansion plans signalled in recent continental takeover deals.

Hornby has in recent years tried to embrace new technologies, most prominently with an on-line Scalextric racing game, which chief executive Frank Martin described as "a considerable success".

With Jeffrey having led the production of leading titles including Knights of the Old Republic and Rogue Squadron III, Martin said the experience would be invaluable not only in Europe but also to help see through Hornby's eventual expansion into the US. "We are already the brand leader in the UK, France and Spain," he said.

"We have an extremely strong presence in Germany and Italy, but it is the US which holds the biggest opportunities for us and that requires the expertise which Jeffery undoubtedly brings with him."

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 18 Aug 2004, 10:42)"We are already the brand leader in the UK, France and Spain," he said.

Well obviously Nuro didn't say it! But does the Chief Exec of Hornby also struggle to understand the marketing discrepancies of the brand name.

Scalextric may be the brand leaders in Spain, but I doubt Superslot are!

Perhaps one of our Spanish members will be able to confirm this?

Actually this statement is a bit confusing
Oversee development of "New" Hornby products? Launching a games console are they? Possibly with their Moto GP tie up, they are going to launch a game where the bikes don't lean!

First time move into the US? Mr Jeffery has to drive the expansion into France? Where they are supposedly already brand leader!

Mr.M

·
Slot City
331 Posts
Not sure where Nuro's info is from, but this is the official press release which reads a little bit differently:

QUOTE HORNBY APPOINTS GROUP MARKETING DIRECTOR

Hornby Plc, ("Hornby") the models and collectibles Group, has today announced
that it has appointed Simon Jeffery as Group Marketing Director of its principle
trading subsidiary Hornby Hobbies Limited.

Simon, 40, has a wealth of experience in the entertainment and hobby products
industry and has most recently initiated and overseen the development of many
commercially successful interactive games in the United States.

He started his career at Electronic Arts, where he worked for 6 years in a
variety of sales and marketing roles. He then moved to Virgin Interactive
Entertainment as European Marketing Manager and was promoted to Vice President
Marketing, firstly in Europe, and then in the United States. He subsequently
joined LucasArts, the interactive division of Lucasfilm, in California, as
Director of International. In January 2000 he was appointed President and Chief
Operating Officer, charged with leading the corporate and creative growth of the
company to take full advantage of the potential markets in videogaming and
online entertainment, with particular emphasis on invigoration of the Star Wars
gaming franchise.

At Hornby, Simon will be focusing on the development and distribution of new
product. He will also be a key member of the team that implements the Group's
expansion into overseas markets.

Frank Martin, Chief Executive commented,

" I am delighted to welcome Simon to Hornby. He has a wealth of experience at
the forefront of the hobby products and inter-active gaming sector. As a growing
international business, we have ambitious plans to develop the scale and depth
of our operations significantly. We have made no secret of the fact that we are
planning to continue our organic growth and simultaneously, we are looking at
new markets by targeting suitable acquisition opportunities. As part of this
process, the senior team is growing and we are evaluating constantly new
opportunities to expand our product range and develop new revenue streams. We
are building a core base of enthusiastic hobbyists, which we have the potential
to service with new and exciting product.

" We have achieved considerable success with a number of our recent new product
lines, including the Hornby Virtual Railway CD-ROM and the Live Steam range of
locomotives. We have also developed Scalextric Sport World, which will be our
first foray into linking Scalextric hobbyists to each other over the Internet by
on-line gaming. This holds massive potential for us to develop the Scalextric
community worldwide and thus reinforce commitment to the hobby of Scalextric
racing.

" It is vital that we continue to innovate to extend the range and depth of our
product pipeline. Simon will be instrumental in working with us to drive this
programme forward."

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In terms of the "Brand Leader" remember Hornby are a major European model railway company as well as leading producer of slot cars. They do have have leading positions with various products in various markets as stated.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Just once. Just once, I'd like to hear of a company appointing someone and saying, "Here's Tim. He gonna be quite good, really."

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems like a good guy for the job...he will be selling to what i presume is a similar age group that Scalextric and Hornby often target with theirn sets etc...and he will also have experience for the CD-ROM stuff they are all producing.

Seems like a wise move to get someone with experience in that field.

Alan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Scalextric slogan already is 'race for real' (as opposed to virtually on a PS2 or similar), so they are after a chunk of the console market. Wise move I think

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I’m with you there Harry, although a Pod racing set, X-Wing and TIE fighter set as well as a Endor forest speeder bike set would be cool too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah Dennis, blow this Star Wars carp, and while we are at it MR SKYWALKER what about some different liveried GT40's and some Le Mans Vettes? Dont drop the ball Hornby, now you are running!

GT

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well say what you want...NASCAR IS the most popular motorsport here..period. Attendance and TV coverage here says that quite easily.

Anyone who can walk into a Wal-Mart here can tell you that. The marketing power of NASCAR far exceeds any other motorsport...here that is. From pencils, notebooks to underwear and keychains...shoes and BBQ grill covers...NASCAR is everywhere.

I can't find any Le Mans T-shirts...maybe they are behend the F1 diescasts? No wait...they are right next to the DTM fishing reels. Hmmm...perhaps the local folks are rushing to something else beside the dirt tracks that are splattered all over the country?

I was at the "big show" in Chicago...and how many times did I hear someone ask "what kind of car is that?" on the track? Too many. Now...if Dale Jr was sitting on the tarmac...it would have been a different story.

To entice the newcomer over here who is NOT into the "world" of motorsports...NASCAR is key.

Harry

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Guys,

Great, thats all we want now!!!

More of the Margate, ''Lets go off on another tangent'' marketing genius!!!!

Maybe they could make some neato Dr. WHO slot thingies for the fans (me included).

The mind boggles at the unlimited possibilities this new marketing strategy offers.....

Look at the rich selection of past ''theme'' models they have provided enthusiasts with, something "unique" indeed.

And no, I'm not going to get into the latest Moto Gp Bikes, suffice to say that they AREN'T on the top of my '' to buy'' list for Christmas
I canna stand this craziness from Hornby anymore.

I agree totally with Harry on this, it seems Hornby have dropped the ball (you know, like you guys do in cricket when you play the Aussies??) with the American market AND those of us spread around the globe that love US Motorsport.

No new Nascar liveries, SHAME on you blokes from sunny, seaside Margate. What on earth are you thinking with????

Dennis, move back to Holland???? C'mon now, thats a bit drastic isn't it???

By the way, are you really Dutch??

Anyway, so sorry Hornby, I've spent a lot on Hornby product over the last couple of years, but if all this "business" is what you are offering enthusiasts like me for the future, thanks, but no thanks......

Best Wishes,

Rob.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey easy there Tigers! I was in agreement with Dennis about the lack of NASCAR in the current Scalex range but dont lets get all carried away here. Mr Wise, you do your fellow countrymen a dis-service if you believe that all American motorsport fans are only interested in NASCAR, and I'm really not sure where our Austrailian friend is coming from, after all haven't Hornby given you some of your own V8 Touring cars? There are none of the current BTCC cars in their range so I think you two guys are losing the plot a bit don't you?

GT

·
Registered
94 Posts
"There are none of the current BTCC cars in their range"........

Well I'd say we can thank the good lord above for small mercies I suppose.

I mean, C'mon, three hundred horsepower tin-tops???? The series tanked big time here in Oz, and I for one am glad it did!

Mmmm,

I am "coming from" my personal perspective of what SEEMS to be happening at MARGATE. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a slot car manufacter focus on making quality slot cars, versus speederbikes or whatever tripe they want to go ahead with now????

This is a very emotive issue for me. I came into the hobby thinking Scalextric was THE BEST, full stop. The cars were great, just fantastic, I went out and got a little Sport layout, its fantastic to race on.

And yes, I am ever so thankful HORNBY provided us with the V8 Supercar series of models, they are amongst my very favourite toys, I love them to bits.

I wasn't worried that they had no interior, the Tampo is exceptional and they look a treat scampering our layout. Besides, who can see the inside of them when you are racing them???

I'm sorry, but I really think Scalextric has messed up (polite term) by not offering up to date MODERN Nascars for those that are interested. Instead what do we get, an old Taurus painted up in two ASCAR liveries! I didn't even know you blokes could fit a decent oval onto that rock in the Atlantic you live on......

My apologies, but I really think HORNBY need to take a good, long hard look at where they are at in the hobby at present....

Cheers,

Rob the COLONIAL......

·
Registered
211 Posts
Guy's

Has it slipped peoples mind, that at the end of the day HORNBY are a business first and formost. Like with all business they are going to try new products, but hornby have alway made bikes somewere in their career.

I would like to see the V8's being sold in the UK rather than just oversea's.

With regards to bilby bob posting [I didn't even know you blokes could fit a decent oval onto that rock in the Atlantic you live on......]

I have been to Rockingham and i thinks it's ok, I would never judge a place without visting it first, that almost like me thinking that all you OZ's do is BBQ allday.

ScalextricRacer

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just to remind folk that Scalextric are launching 4 brand new USA NASCAR racers very shortly although the liveries have yet to be revealed:-

Scalextric C2594 Ford Taurus #1
Scalextric C2595 Ford Taurus #2
Scalextric C2596 Ford Taurus #3
Scalextric C2599 Chevrolet Monte Carlo #1

This should give the new man something to think about for the USA and Australian markets.

I did not realise that Oz racers were so into USA motorsport although I must admit to having a liking for NASCAR also. As a form of motorsport it translates to slotcars very well and Scalextric Digital with several cars running in the same lane will make the NASCAR slot car racing look very authentic.

In fact I would not be at all surprised if the USA get a Scalextric NASCAR Digital set all to their own!

I am very confident Mr Jeffrey can arrange that!

Moped

·
Registered
480 Posts
Bilby Bob what are you on about? I know that you have an oval over there but dont your V8 Supercars run on road courses? I must admit that I like watching a bit of NASCAR myself but there is more to motorsport than going round in circles.

That is why Scalextric offer so many different kinds of race car inc NASCAR but if you are going to stop buying their products because of the appointment of a new marketing director, I'm sure the man from Margate is going to be very upset

chuck another couple of shrimp on the barbe mate, i'll be over later wiff me tinny's!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.