SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the new Hornby Scalextric catalogue they are breaking new ground by offering the first front mounted sidewinder motored four wheel drive car!!

Yes folks, the new Peugeot 307 will have the motor mounted transversely under the bonnet with belt drive to the rear axle. According to the obviously un-biased blurb, "performance is remarkable" and "these will be a hit with racers and collectors alike". I'll save my remarks until after I have tried one and then decide whether I want to hit it or not.

Why do they do this? Surely the best bet would have been to make it the same layout as the Fabia, as that is it's obvious racing partner- if a rally car can have a racing partner, that is!

This will either have to have some sort of drop arm or at least a sprung guide to work properly or kids of today will suffer the frustration that some of us kids of the sixties suffered when trying to get some sense out of Scalextric's innovative "worlds first" front-wheel drive slot car- the Mini. Set it up for good braid contact- no traction, set it up for traction- intermittent electrical contact!

On a more positive note - but I feel, pessimistically, that it's just a cock-up in the printing- the classic GPs are shown as mid-mounted inlines! Not just the new Cooper and Ferrari-which would be true to prototype-but the existing Maserati and Vanwall too!

Mr.M

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
I can see one advantage - that there will be extra weight over the front and that will keep the guide in the slot.

But over time will the drive belt not loose elasticity and cause a lag in traction response to the rear wheels?

Also what will there be in the boot now there is no engine - a detailed spare wheel and toolbox?!!

Don't worry Mr M, I'm sure I will hit your car when on the track!

J-c

·
Registered
571 Posts
I always run my rally cars without magnets. Surely a front mounted motor is going to equal poor traction, at least without a kilo of lead in the boot. Sounds like a bad idea to me. Why make this car different to all the others?

I await its arrival and a review......

JS

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE Yes folks, the new Peugeot 307 will have the motor mounted transversely under the bonnet with belt drive to the rear axle.
Grouping this with Fly's penchant for locating the motor in the same place as the 1:1 I have to ask, why?

Why in God's name bother with a tiny detail like this when the little motor they use is going to bless the model with unrealistic speed, or when the magnets they use possess them of totally unrealistic cornering speeds?

Muppetry.

And is the real 307 belt driven? I think not. So why make life hard for yourself?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
One assumes the quest to mirror real life will mean the car will lead most races but break a pinion/belt before the end.

·
Registered
911 Posts
its inovative, so people will buy it cos of that (look how many people hav sed theyd buy it to just see how it runs). its good marketing on hornbys part, cos isnt there already like 3 307's around from other manufacturers. its not so much a driveability thing, its to create a sense in people that they want to buy it because its different, not becasue its better. its worked, obviously!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Skeet, I think your double vision has returned. I count one odd soul above with more money than sense.
QUOTE ...the quest to mirror real life will mean the car will lead most races but break a pinion/belt before the end.

Tee, hee!

There was an SCX one doing the rounds very nicely at Oxford last night. Didn't look shabby. Muddy, yes. Shabby, no.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thumbs up to Hornby! I've been out the scene for a few years and I amazed at the kind of stuff that they are offering these days in terms of quality and variety. Only ten years or so back and pretty much every car had the same configuration. I don't know what affect on handling mounting the motor at the front will have (shouldn't think it would be beneficial some how), but it's bound to making the driving experience different from the mainstream - which has got to be a good thing. I personally like the fact that different cars have different characteristics - like the Metro 6R4 and the Audi Quattro in the old Rallye International set - 2 totally different cars to drive, but evenly matched in performance round about (though I preferred the 4WD Quattro!).

I think I might have to buy a 307, seeing as I never got round to scratch build my own front motor mounted car in my teenage years! Shame it's pig ugly...

·
Slot City
331 Posts
I haven't tried the Peugot yet, but people who have speak very highly of it - fast and good handling.

There is nothing to suggest it is just a marketing ploy, or an attempt to keep the motor in the same location as the real car.

I was told the idea came from Spain, where it is a configuration used by club racers. I don't have anything to back this up but it did come from a reliable source.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE I haven't tried the Peugot yet, but people who have speak very highly of it - fast and good handling.

Oh boy, has it got its work cut out, the jelly mould Ninco Peugeot 307 is amazing and for all those people who had doubts about pro-shock suspension etc, well something works!

The Ninco car is awesome in both guises (Pro-race & Standard) incredibly quick whilst a joy to drive!

With regards to the Scalextric, definitely the intrigue factor has increased up a notch but having said that, the same thing happened when I first learnt of the all singing 4x4 Skoda!

Jamie

·
Registered
57 Posts
In France, the 307 is the R/C Nikko car that sold the least for Christmas.
There are plenty in the shop at half-price. And I guess I know why :
When seen from some distance , you can't tell the difference between the front and the back.
What's the point in producing one more 307, too ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't understand all the negativity towards a new concept.

Do all real cars handle the same? So why should slot cars? In real life, some cars understeer (well most), some over steer, some are just about neutral, some are tall lift wheels in corners and can tip over you go too fast, some are quiet, some are loud. I don't 'fix' slot cars just because they don't handle like F1's, not all cars should, so I enjoy them for what they are.

Rubber band drive? Quite a number of 1:1 cars with CVT's are just that. In slot terms, in means a 4wd car that's as quiet, or quieter, than a 2wd (the rubber band appears to dampen gear vibration).

It won't be a dud like the ancient Scalex Minis because they're problem was that they were front wheel drive, not the actual motor location. Expect it to handle somewhat like a front motor Fly, except without the noise.

I guess the problem now is that Carrera's 307 is the best looking (admittedly not having seen Scalex's), Ninco's has Proshock which I love, while Scalex has a unique drive train...

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you were building a slot car, would you rather pay for gears or an "O" ring? (rubber band)
It must be very hard to pass up a way to cut building costs in a successful market segment. People don't seem to be against the band drive. I wonder if it is just for this car, or a design direction.

For myself, I like gears, and find four wheel gear drive intriguing, rubber band drive, not so much. While these cars have no attraction for me, I do own an Auto Art with gear driven four wheel drive. It has different ratios front and rear to compensate for the smaller tires in front, which I think is interesting, and adds to the detail of the car. I would have passed on the car if it had rubber band drive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What I've found with 4WD by belt, is that it has the ability to slip over the pulleys, which can be beneficial in that the front wheels don't drag the guide out the slot, but enough to pull the car through the bend like a 1:1 4WD would. I've got a geared 4WD slot car and it's constantly de-slotting. Not saying this is the case with all geared 4WD.

The problem with a belt drive though is that the band can stretch over time and become less effective, so need replacing...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts