SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
Hi Jamie,

The Camaro doesn't have chrome parts so I assume the others haven't.

I'm planning to scratch build a chassis for it but at the moment it's in with the others in my (very full) future projects box.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply; regarding the chrome bits, it's a shame they don't. Because I just think they would help attain a higher quality finish (for lazy peeps).

Can't complain though, as they appear good value for money, providing an inexpensive way for experimenting (haven't got the heart to purchase a car and ruin it).

Just fancy purchasing one in an attempt to create the Mustang from the film 'Bullitt'

Best regards,

Jamie.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hi Jamie,

I have the Porsche kit. Decals are provided for the front grille where metal parts are found on rtr cars (save for the set cars).

The wheels are white unpainted plastic. So forget about chrome parts.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated; decided to pick up a couple of kits tomorrow.

Tigor L, Blimey that looks bloody good, great paint job! You've convinced me to have a go at converting one.

Amazed that the flames are painted rather than decals, I bet it looks all the more better for it. I also like the wheels, the larger rear wheels give the car a meaner stance, i'd be well chuffed if it was my work.

Thank you for sharing.

I hope you all had a great new year,

Regards, Jamie.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE I'm worried because Silver paint (applied by me) usually looks crap

depending on the contours of the bit - sticky back aluminium tape from a hardware store can work pretty well, wouldnt recomend it for wheels tho

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Plastikoat do a Chrome spray paint, haven't used it though so only telling you what I've seen on the shelves of the local DIY superstore!

A downside of the hornby kits is that they have the full Scalextric interior but no driver - I got the Fly Classic Drivers bag (2 for around 4-5 quid from Pendle and GetSlotted amongst others) and painted one of those up to fit in my Mustang. He currently sits on a cut-down Micro Scalextric tyre as a combination child booster seat/piles cushion!

Coop

·
Registered
312 Posts
G'day Jamie,
If you are looking for a chrome substitute, this is about the only option. The foil comes on a paper backing and is VERY thin. Once you've got used to handling it though you will never use anything else. Follow the instructions carefully and you won't be disappointed. I usually give the finished article a coat of clear acrylic laquer to give it a bit of durability.
Just out of interest, they also do black, alloy, gold, copper etc!

Bare Metal foil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts