Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I thought I remembered someone having trouble with getting some spares and this just came to my attention.

They appear to have some offers on cars with damaged packaging too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thats a pretty good find. Not too sure about the use of the Hornby name though within the domain as its a commercial site. It seems to suggest a tie in with Hornby when this is not the case!

There are far bigger outfits who have been in business for many years selling spares (eg East Kent Models, Modelspares) who have not done this. The site owner may ultimately have not been too keen on the instant fame he has been given at Slotforum!

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who would grass him up??

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would guess either a competitor who has a large account with Hornby who visits Slotforum, or any number of Slotforum visitors who work for Hornby. Visitors do not have to register to view the message board remember!

It is in fact a major comercial handicap to have a trademark within your domain name as you cannot advertise in magazines or do any promotional work to promote your site without drawing attention to yourself from the trademark owner. So short term gain is long term pain!

Basically you are unable to run and market your business using traditional channels and you are stuck within the subvertiveness of the internet hiding away hoping that nobody will spot your website. Is that anyway to run what appears to be a very sound proposition with spares that even I might need to purchase and with prices that are competitive?

Thats just guaranteed the link a few more hits hasn't it!

Moped

PS I have no connection at all with the link above!

·
Jim Moyes
5,000 Posts
What about if the guy is from Hornby in Lancs, or Hornby in Yorks for that matter, can't he use his home village name in his web address?

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I would think that since Hornby have a link to his site on their Scalextric site that would suggest tacit approval.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Well I would think that since Hornby have a link to his site on their Scalextric site that would suggest tacit approval.

And probably suggests that no lawsuits are pending!

Good pick up on that, Wankel!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not too sure about Mr Wankels comment there.

Doing a search and...

"Station Master Direct" - yes.

"Hornby Spares" - No

Do a search of stockists by entering "Hornby" or "Scalextric" as key words in the search and guess what?

"Your search found no results. Try to widen your criteria and try again."

I will leave it there.

No I won't. Having just checked again I now find that on the home page of "that" domain reference is made to the selling of the products of Hornby competitors!

And some of the products of those competitors would make Hornby wince just a tad if Hornby themselves were selling the product.

Now do you see the problem?

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE Now do you see the problem?

No. Not really. This guy is clearly an authorised dealer. He's not pretending to be Hornby, merely sell spares for products collectively manufactured by Hornby, the 'Hornby Group'.

He clearly sells other brands and he clearly is currently trying to raise money for charity by matching customer's 50p donations.

He clearly is in competition with you on the secondhand stuff. Ah, ha!

I brought the link to the board in good faith and in the helpful spirit of the board. Don't make me regret that and **** *** **** **** ***** ass!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
regarding the law, it is a sticky one. You cant release pop songs under the name 'Paul Mcartney' even if that happens to be your birth name, unless you were in the beetles with john george and ringo! (though you could use it as a trade name in another business for example 'paul mcartney tractors')

·
DT
5,195 Posts
If there is evidence suggesting that the domain name in question has been chosen by Station Master Direct with the intent to profit or otherwise abuse Hornby's trademark rights, then there is a problem.

If there is a likelihood of confusion that Hornby's mark was being diluted, then there is a problem.

They're not the only ones doing it. Check out http://www.scalextric-sport.com/

Look too at http://www.scalextricspares.co.uk/.

Seems like Hornby's IP Lawyers need to pull up their pants. Perhaps though, seeing that the name Scalextric is used generically to a large extent, it wouldn't be wise to fight every company or individual who used the name. I suppose that they would really have to prove that the registrant was profiting and Hornby loosing out in each case.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 12 Jul 2004, 12:34)Thats a pretty good find. Not too sure about the use of the Hornby name though within the domain as its a commercial site. It seems to suggest a tie in with Hornby when this is not the case!
Do you ride a moped and nothing else? Otherwise we may be forced to change your name..

http://www.fmi.uni-stuttgart.de/szs/tools/moped/

Might want to check that out too, moped is the name given to a comuting crack of some kind, Unless you are affiliated directly that may be another course for name changery.......

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wankel, don't regret bringing the link to our attention as it was a genuinely good find.

Its just unfortunate that the site owner has chosen a domain name that is slightly controversial, even though there may be good and honest intentions. You have to put yourself in the shoes of other retailers like Pendleslot, Getslotted and MRE and a number of model railway stockists. Think how they might feel?

It would be interesting to get their viewpoint.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I cannot see a drama there at all. All of the above sites are doing pretty much the same and I don`t think anyone can confuse them with the manufacturer. After all it`s pretty hard to sell Scalextric cars or spares without using the name and logo. If Hornby also list those sites as retailers authorised or not then that would seem to confirm that all is well?

It has been accepted by Hornby that the term Scalextric has become a generic term and why should they mnd that? The only time I ever heard that they got pissy was with the NSCC title. I don`t know if that is a true story but in all other regards I believe the aim is to get the name around and sell stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I can really see Sean and the others fuming as this guy with his trick url hoovers ™ up in the phenomenally huge and lucrative world of Hornby spares and laughs all the way to the Lambo' dealership with his swag.

My, oh, my, you would have kittens with the url I registered a year ago when I contemplated going back to retail with these toy cars!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You should see some of the url's I have registered Mr Wankel. Your kittens would be much larger than mine I suspect!

Why the fascination with Lambos? (and its not just Mr Wankel guilty of this)

Isn't this one of the slower cars around the "Top Gear" track?

Surely the Mazda is your scene?

I suppose there is an argument for the guy offering a much needed service that is not possible for Hornby to offer as Hornby did sell off all the spares that were in the Margate factory in the first place! Hornby could hardly say to a purchaser having spent £££££ buying up all the old spares that you cannot sell them as Hornby spares.

I'm getting soft. Let him carry on!

Moped

PS I'm thinking of my urls's now!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Everyone knows about Ferraris, but Lamborghini was always the lesser known company building cars to compete with Enzo's vehicles. They may be slower than some things on Top Gear's track, but nothing else looks like a Lambo, be it one of their tractors, their LM002 off roader, their powerboats (Quetzal), or any one of their road cars, even with Audi's influence.

Oh, and perhaps the recent AUTOart releases have something to do with the current interest

Mark.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts