SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have one or two semi-finished club type slot chassis and now need motors pref 16D by Mabuchi or Mura.
Does anyone here work on sixties motors ie rewinds and balancing and have surplus to their needs?
Or does any dealer produce motors to a higher spec?
Even better any spare motors from the old days..i love the history!
I used to have a real good guy in New York who could build anything but he has gone R/C !
good price paid for nice motors, ken please message me or if general info for good of forum please post..

NY motor tuned..being built up with green can Mura (NOS) balancing, gold dust, can ball-race etc etc.

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Ken - it's fun rewinding yourself too! I hadn't done it in 30 years ago, and have now done a few since starting up again. But instead of rewinding a couple arms a week, it's now one a year if I'm lucky...

I see Superhornets is online, so maybe he can help out. There's also a whole long thread on SlobBlog by a guy named Havlicek, and it's fabulous! Lots of old motors around, and arms, but whether they work or not is kind of by chance. A friend here just got two Champion 36Ds via ebay and both were dead on arrival... when a motor's 40 years old, you takes your chances... I've actually found a lot of the old ones work amazingly well, but one can never be sure!

We have some excellent motor men here at SlotForum, like Derek Cooper and John Secchi, but don't know if they do any rewinds these days.

Don

PS: a rather scary looking Mura can!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ta Don...I will study your reply well, as I can see it's full of good advice....well spotted that is my retro MURA "green" can motor from NY lightened a touch in the can?..I hope it is "scary" as it is a drag motor...ken
ps I see nice motors on ebay sometimes going for £30.....but a dead engine if it has been used will always be possibly one that "smoked" back in the day and was thrown in the parts box??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here is a link to a section on SlotBlog for Motors & Motor Building.
And here is a link to John Havlicek's thread that Don mentioned.
It's now up to 82 pages long (unfortunately some of the early photo's have dissappeared) with plenty of reading to catch up, so probably easiest to start at the latest and work back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH NO Steve!.....You guessed that I luv MURA motors and now you have set me the task of reading all about the craft of a guy who sounds like "The Man" of motor tuning!
I will be up all night now reading and drooling over these motors...seriously, thanks Ken

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Ken,

What's interesting too is that John started out as an old 60s rewinder, like a lot of us, and shares the whole trial and errror process of learning once again how to rewind motors and doing it as if you were 15 again in 1967, but with all the technical knowledge you've learned as an adult - but with 60s technology! He's a real craftsman, and that comes through in his work.

I've got a couple of John's motors and they're really works of art! With a little luck, one of them will be powering an upcoming vintage racer...

The basic rewinding process isn't that hard, but after that... the devil is in the details!

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Don...John must be a very skilled perfectionist to create these gems...I wonder if he takes on customer builds and what price these works of electrical art?
They look just what I need a retro "proper" slot motor!
ken

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ken, while I was distracted away from slot cars around 1969 (a good year
) and missed the Mura "Green" motor (and others) era, I really appreciate those little power houses, and have collected a few to play with.

I kinda wish I had stayed with slot cars through those years and kept my stuff. I wouldn't have had to fork out so much $s to re-collect it.

I rewound a few FT16Ds, Russkit 22s & 23s that had trouble keeping the smoke in, but boy they were fun before they let it go, or the endbell melted.

26D motors were also a hot item at the time.

John is a carpenter tradesman, and carries his methodical approach through to rewinding, and does special requests,
I think he prefers to trade stuff rather than straight out selling, but make contact with him and I'm sure he will work something out with you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my "HOT" rewound, balanced and tuned MURA C can motor has arrived from the states, it really looks superb and I will post a pic on Friday....it really is a work of art.
I still need mounting screws, 8T pinion etc but the Paxton is coming together well ...ken

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of the info is on the SLOTBLOG FORUM Arm winding thread pages 163-4....but it is a #27S with a Bugenis com and a drill blank shaft all superbly assembled and breathed on by John Havlicek of course!
And as for too nice to cover up?.....well has anyone tried a paint job with cutaway sections in the clear shell or perhaps a full size scale engine cover ?
ken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.