SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to buy this hot wheels electric race set which is just like the scalextric track. but i am a bit conserned as i am wanting to buy extra cars from scalextrics but if the track is different it wont work.
so does anyone know if hotwheels track if compatable for scalextircs?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have only scene the boxed sets of hot-wheels tracks in depatyment stores, not seen the track itself, so I can't answer your question directly.

But if cost is the main motivation for getting that brandm why not get track from one of the big 5 (Scalextric, Carrera, Ninco, SCX, Artin) off ebay instead, either new or nearly new, depending on budget.

If you go for hotwheels track, hope you post pics of the track and cars here for us to see!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (astro @ 11 Oct 2004, 20:10)I.

But if cost is the main motivation for getting that brandm why not get track from one of the big 5 (Scalextric, Carrera, Ninco, SCX, Artin) off ebay instead, either new or nearly new, depending on budget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does carrera, ninco, scx and artin all except scalextric cars??

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have some Hot Wheels track. It is 1/64 scale and will not run the normal 1/32 Scalextric cars.

Most of the 1/32 brands mentioned by Astro are compatible although Carrera and Artin also make tracks in other scales too. You have to be a bit careful there.

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
You'll find the Hot Wheels set has much much smaller cars and track than conventional 'scalextric' type slot racing sets.

To give you an idea, the Hot Wheels cars will be hotwheel/matchbox size (1/64). Scalextric and other major brands make cars in 1/32 which are twice as big.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (LMP04 @ 11 Oct 2004, 20:27)You'll find the Hot Wheels set has much much smaller cars and track than conventional 'scalextric' type slot racing sets.

To give you an idea, the Hot Wheels cars will be hotwheel/matchbox size (1/64). Scalextric and other major brands make cars in 1/32 which are twice as big.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahh.... thanx for that, i guess i wont buy it then. its just that 1. the scalextric race sets are to expensive and 2. if u find a cheap one it is most lightly to be a little 8 figure one.
this artin one. i have found it is quite cheat but is that one of the ones compatable with scalextric cars??

·
Gary Skipp
6,503 Posts
Nothing is ever simple

Artin make cars/track on two scales, 1/43, which is common for diecast modles, and 1/32, which is what your after. However, Arin 32 I beleive is quite old and I haven't seen any at all in the UK, which probably means you've found a 43 set which isn't big enough. If in doubt, ask the seller.

My suggestion if you're after a cheap set is to look on eBay. I know it has its faults but there are some bargains. Also, in the 'Swap Shop' here you could ask if anyone on the forum has some second hand track for sale.

This opens a whole new window of which brand, but for simplicity, it'd be scalextric sport. For performance, then Ninco.

Feel free to ask anymore questions, I know it gets confusing.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would guess that our new friend is from the USA and really needs advice from our American friends. 1/32 scale slot cars will run on 1/32 scale Artin track but Artin does have a limited range of track so its pretty much down to how challenging you want your ciruit to be and future upgrade potential once you have your basic circuit up and running.

Moped

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE Artin does have a limited range of track

Is this in the sense that they have released a working pitlane and some other manufacturers haven't?

Personally would buy Artin if I lived in the states, look at the prices!!!!! $100 for a 4 lane set, yes please!

Pip

·
Registered
321 Posts
QUOTE (eruption3000 @ 11 Oct 2004, 14:16)QUOTE (astro @ 11 Oct 2004, 20:10)I.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does carrera, ninco, scx and artin all except scalextric cars??
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To the best of my knowledge, all of the brands you list will accept Scalextric cars. And Scalextric will accept those cars. There may be some minor issues and adjustments with the blades and the slot depth. That is, a blade may have to be trimmed or swapped for another one if the slot is too shallow. But, in general, they are all compatible.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts