Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all just wondering if the new hotwheels cars make good bodies for conversion.

Also any tips on the best chassis to use if they do and easiest way to mount them.

Cheers Wayne.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen an add that said poundland had some models and i thought they might be cheap conversion bodies I'm not sure exactly which models they have.

·
Registered
550 Posts
First off. Hot Wheels car are only between £1 and £1.10 in most retail outlets (Asda, Tesco, Sainsbuys, Toys R Us etc) so there's no need to restrict yourself to buying from Poundland.

99.99% of cars available in the UK have metal bodies, so they are not really suited to running as slot cars. The exception to this are the colour changer cars which are normally plastic, but dearer and generally carp designs

All the cars have different wheelbases and widths, so whether they will fit on a slot car chassis is down to each individual model. What I do is carry a bit of paper in my wallet with a very basic chassis drawn on it showing width and the 1.5/1.7 wheelbases. That way if I find any toys that look suitable for conversion I can just hold it up against that in the shop to check whether it's doable.

Give it ago. It won't be as fast as a normal slot car and will hurt if it flies off the track and hits you
, but for a quid...

If there are any particular Hot Wheels cars you're thinking off doing, ask, as I may have them and be able to do some measuring for you. The kids and me buy quite a few cars.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My son has a colour changer AC Cobra, it looks like it would fit on a Mega G chassis, but do you want a car that starts the race army green and ends it bright yellow (they change colour with temperature).

BTW look up pullback diecast on Ebay, you'll find some plastic bodied cars on German Ebay.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you sand and paint the colour changers they shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't leave them original, although it would be quite cool to see the heat patches from the motor
Not cool enough to spend £3.50 on though.

The german pullbacks are a bit narrow. I've done the orange Porsche and it looks ok, but the others suffer badly from fat wheel syndrome.

If you ever see one the Hot Wheels Audi R8s, they have a plastic body apparently. HW appear to be slipping in more and more plastic parts in their cars due to cost savings. The HW collectors seem to hate it, but I say bring it on
If all Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars had plastic bodies just think of the conversion potential. I think I need to lay down...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've put the orange Porsche onto a SG+ chassis, you have to have very small rear tyres for it to fit .422 I think, and I used a SG+ to Tyco body clip cut down and glued into the Porsche, the rear wheels aren't too wide, shame about the fronts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, I recently bought some Hotwheels because of the great selection of good-looking US muscle cars and I'm building a chassis right now.
You can use the original chassis for exact dimensions.

I use plasticard of 1, 1.5 and 2 mm and I fitted the Carrera Go motor in it with the original Tyco rear axle.

I will mount spounge tires on the original Hotwheels and true them till a 1mm profile.

With that less powerfull motor, spounge tires and the original heavier die cast body I think that will be a good runner on wood on a lower voltage (and without magnets of course).

A new and more detailed paintjob and a new pro touring Mustang will be born.

I'll let You know how it runs in the near future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts