SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is completely irrelevant to slot stuff but I want to set Slotforum as my home page - permanently. There is a problem at the moment and I don't know when or how it started. Every time I turn on or restart my computer, the home page is reset to this weird web page which looks a bit like a pop-up. I have no idea how it gets on my computer and I've never been to that website before. Basically I have to get into internet options every time to change my homepage and that is bloody annoying. I know I really shouldn't post this but I just thought there's so many computer experts here somebody is bound to know! By the way, I'm using IE 6 on Windows XP if that helps. Thanks in advance!

*To the Mods: Please don't delete this post!*

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go to the page you want as your home page, click Tools on the menu bar and select Internet Options. There's a button there to make the current page your home page....

Paul

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmm. That won't work! I have the same problems on my home pc. It will change back! Don't know what it is. My boss said it was probably something to do with cookies. Deleted them and still came up.

That'll teach me to go viewing unsavory websites.

(Not that I'm suggesting that FZR1000Exup does that sort of thing.)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
you need to run your virus software, adaware and spybot to get rid of some spy/adware hijacker on your system.

Unless you are on NTL, the NTL toolbox thing has a place where it resets the homepage to NTL usually, you need to change it in there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can reset your homepage by:
Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options", in the window that opens, select the "General" tab. The top option on that section is the "Home Page" preset in which you would enter your desired homepage.
BUT!!!!
It also sounds like you have a similar problem to one that I have on one of my PC's in that the homepage is being constantly reset to some sort of search page called "about.blank". If that is the case then you have been infected by some 'Spyware' or 'Adware' which writes this particular page into your 'Temp' folder and some other carp into the system registry.
Last night I found this strain of Spyware to be called "CoolWWWSearch" but whatever Anti-Spyware software I've used, this still remains active.
So I'm stuck for a remedy.

Can anyone else help further?

·
Registered
238 Posts
another similar one is called Gator. It resets your homepage to one of it's own clients...........a right pain..........usually you can get rid of it by going to thei webpage. Try running Adaware.you can d/l the free version from www.lavasoft.com

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Run Spybot and clean out your computer. Anybody who doesn't do this is looking for problems.

Then install Firefox. A much better browser overall. Check out the differences between IE and Firefox here and then get it from here

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree , also run Firefox - I have been running for three weeks now and don't know
how I managed before - its fantastic.
Tab browsing rocks !

·
Slot City
331 Posts
We use Ad-Aware and Spybot. But you need to make sure you have anti virus protection (we have a few packages running at different levels) and a firewall (stand alone if you can). Make sure all of your software (especially the operating system and all security packages) are at the latest levels on a regular basis.

Its a pain but totally necessary (especially for us).

I've also been using Firefox recently and its good, but there have been some problems. Quite a few crashes (more than IE), plus there's some issues with printing for me at least. Still, I'm sure these issues will be addressed quickly plus the extra features are good.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks for the tips guys! I've just installed and run Spybot and the problem is gone! I've also installed Firefox and am browsing with it right now. I don't really know what the advantage is with Firefox but I think I'll stick with it if it doesn't give me any trouble. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts