SlotForum banner

how do i design an equall lane length track

4627 Views 20 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  sealevel
hy, i,m going to route a track.[my ninco has so many lumps and bumps where the grandkids walk all over it]. the space is 16ft by 6ft 2 lane. i only have 2 criteria, it must have a long straight at the back with 2- 5ft6in outside radius bends on each end of the straight. the middle can be filled with anything as long as the lap lengths are roughly equall. could someone point me in the right direction. thanks. john
1 - 3 of 21 Posts
I disagree with everyone who thinks equal lane lengths are a waste of time. I have a two-lane routed track, equal lane lengths and fairly equal lap times. Some of the most fun I've had has been times where I have raced with friends side by side around the track.

No need for digital, odd lane spacing or fancy voltage differences. Just fun, equal racing.

Randy
See less See more
Stoner's original post didn't mention anything about not having a bridge, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no way to get equal lane lengths without the cross-over. I'm not overly bright so I went for the easiest method. There are moments where you can't see the cars on the track but you get used to it, and there are moments on a real track when you can't see what is ahead so I figured it's a bit prototypical.

You can minimize the blind spot by being a bit smarter than I was. I had originally put the inside corner above the outside thinking it would be easier to marshall and not realizing that a large portion of the outside corner would be blocked. Had I did the bridge with the inside low and the outside high, there would have been very little blocked from view.

I spend a fair bit of time testing and tuning cars, making sure I have pairs that run equally. As for equally-skilled (or non-skilled) drivers, I've found that after some time, most of my "guests" are able to keep up with me because I'm not all that great a driver and the others seem to learn the track quickly, and for the kids, I just turn the power down.

I have recently installed a mirror to deal with the blind spot, haven't had a chance to see how that works yet 'though.

Randy
See less See more
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Between crossovers, flyovers and bridges, confusion is easily accomplished.

Randy
1 - 3 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.