SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a warning. I'm a newbie, so some of these questions may seem elemental. Well.. they are. LOL.

I've gotten my first few cars - Scalextric, Ninco, and Fly - and I'm a bit surprised at the lack of instructions or documentation. Clearly, one has to get into the guts of the car for maintenance or to adjust or remove magnets. But none of the cars have anything at all documenting the car. Maybe this is just me, because I work as a technical writer, documenting new softwae.

In any case, clearly it looks as though one simply removes the small screws that are visible on the underside of the frame. But, there is the guide to deal with. The Scalextric GT-40 set that I bought comes closest to documenting how to maintain a car. It's a few little drawings of popping off the guide, taking out the screws and lubricating the gears and bushings.

My main question is... how much pressure should be applied to pop off that guide? I've pulled.. admittedly rather gently... at the guide on my Ninco Porsche and my Scalextric Audi TT. I don't detect any give. So, do I really yank hard on these things? Do I pry them off with a screwdriver? Does the guide just snap into an electrical connection... and I'm just pulling against the pressure of a nice tight connection? I don't want to crack a brand new car, but I want to see the workings too. And the Ninco guide "looks" different. Like maybe it has a different attachment method.

Thanks for any words of advice. (And if any manufacturers read this... think documentation.)

Mike

·
Registered
752 Posts
Right then Mike

To remove the Ninco guide... Just pull...

The Scalextric Audi TT guide however, is secured by a screw, which is only get-at-able once you have removed the bodyshell. If your quest is merely to change the braids, first invert the car, so that you are looking at the underside of the car, and press the horizontal section that the braids rest on lightly downwards, then towards the front of the car... and presto braids removed

-Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rob. Got it apart and took the motor and rear axle out just to see how easy or difficult it was. No difficulty at all.

Now I'm pondering how to easily get the magnet loose from the clasps that are holding it in. I'm thinking I have to poke it out through the holes in the bottom of the frame. The clasps certainly don't want to release tension easily. And prying using the frame as the sold point on which to pivot is not good for the frame. The plastic isn't strong enough.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts