SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Just wondered how cars were built - partly from seeing the slot-it unpainted audi.

Bits I have so far:
research of the real car -pics or CAD blueprints etc
designer and pattern maker makes molds for all the bits
injection molding of plastic bits and photo-etching of metal bits
tampo printing of parts

bit i am not sure about - are some bits (like when revell do eyes on their drivers) tampo printed, or do they have a guy hand painting em?

Decals - some manufacturers seem to use these still - put on by machine or a little old lady?

Assembly - by robot machine, or a team of poorly paid guys in china/spain?

Cheers to anyone who knows the answers

Dave

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very interesting Astro, I too have thought about this. The drivers of some cars appear to be hand painted, and with "China" stamped on the car I think they are poorly paid people as well. You mostly have the process right as mass production goes. Many of the cars are indeed hand assembled as the various fingerprints found would indicate. It appears the cars are handled very quickly from mold to paint, etc. It also appears that the bodies are handled in "basket batches" from station to station as well. I sometimes notice the shifting of the printing over several cars from a given batch and then a change over several months of batches. I'd sure like to see/ shop the quality-control rejects bins at say Slot-it or Scaley. Seems to me (judging from similarities) that there are a few outfits contracted to make the metal-etched parts and of course the wheels and tires. I could think of each company having a similar list of suppliers overall. One of my local hobby-shop owners has mentioned the buying and selling of molds between companies as well. I have seen some interesting similarities between Carrera bodies and some old Aurora and AMT model kits. Mold-type things like where they leak and form "flash" and where they inject the plastic into the molds. A good friend of mine has some old Scaleys from the sixties that I swear are from the same molds as later Carrera cars (Jags, for sure) They are identical on detailed level to my eye. Lets hear from some others on this fascinating topic. Any former or current slot car company employees out there? There's a whole history going on unseen but none the less worth a look.
Cheers!!

·
Jim Moyes
5,068 Posts
QUOTE (Harry Porsche @ 5 Jul 2004, 17:50)A good friend of mine has some old Scaleys from the sixties that I swear are from the same molds as later Carrera cars (Jags, for sure) They are identical on detailed level to my eye.
Sorry Harry, you're way off there! While the old Triang D-types do have a certain nostalgic appeal, they are not as detailed as the Carrera versions which do have the benefit of 40 years more technological innovation. Plus the Scalextric cars are about 1/30 scale, so quite a bit bigger.

There are instances of mould re-use, the MRRC repops of old Revellogram cars and Pink Kar and Reprotec re-issuing old 60s Scalextric classics, both British and Spanish.

Mr.M

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Harry, I figured that some parts must be done by hand, but just by reasoning rather than inside info.

Any NSSC members or correspondents care to give a sumary of the process as reported there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.