SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my track today. The first time in ages and the first time since I've had it on a table. I used to just wipe it down, but it has accumulated stuff that no chiffon would clean easily.

I used alcohol (with a bit of scent - but I'm sure that's optional). It got the track very clean for sure. Now the cars are noticeably smother - and the Challenger works like it was intended.

Should I go over the clean track with some WD-40?

·
Registered
263 Posts
We use a spray and wipe or citrus based cleaner to clean the actual pastic. For continuity we just add a few drops od sewing machine oil around the track, do a few laps with a car and the rails get a nice thin coating of oil.
The cars definately run better when the track is clean.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 28 Dec 2003, 11:15 PM)What product do people use on their braids to help maintan a good electrical contact with the track?
I use SCD "Gee-Wo" Juice Braid Conditioner from Chas Keeling - http://www.scdparma.fsnet.co.uk/. Actually looks like it's going to muck up the braids (since it's a thick oily substance) but certainly improves conductivity a treat. Before applying this I squirt lighter fluid on the braids and scrub with a toothbrush (not one that still serves it's intended purpose I hasten to say!)

Coop

·
Registered
714 Posts
The quickest method of dry de-gunging braids is with a SOFT brass wire brush on a Dremel or similar moto-tool.
A neat combination method of fast cleaning large tracks is to SPARINGLY use an oil based product like WD40 on the rails. Use a cloth rather than spray in order to avoid overspill onto the plastic.
Then run a couple of cars round a few times until the track is visually clean and dry, followed by dremel-brushing the braids. Use some white spirit on the braids, as well, if necessary, ie if very oily. Repeat the whole procedure if felt necessary.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I saw this thread awhile back and then forgot about it until I bought a slot track specific kit to try..

It is made and sold by 'Plebys' who deal almost exclusively on Ebay it seems ( a simple serach there will find him).
Below is a picture of what you get in the small set for around £5.

I haven't tried it out yet but will do and let you know.

It seems fair for the money and is claimed to be suitable for up to 150 track sections so we will see.

They do many more items so ask for a catalogue when buying. I will also list the other interesting catalogue items when I get the chance.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
sarapaul bought the Plebys kit and it`s awesome for bringing up old track. We used it to bring up some track that we reckon was between 20 and 30 years old and I have to say I was very impressed.

Cleaning braids, we only allow lighter fluid because it will evaporate. Same with tyres. Guys if you use WD 40 on anything you will not get it all off and then this helps dirt to stick onto the track/braids/motors. I clean Phoenix with a Hoover and that`s it. Constant use is the best `cleaner` as the circuit hasn`t had the rails cleaned in 3 years and there is no need to unless you are running dirty cars around your track. No additives to tyres is another golden rule. I`ve been to clubs where any of the following are used on tyres, WD 40,Jam, Lucozade,vaseline,braid cleaner i.e tiger milk,cellotape,masking tape,elctrical sprays,damp spray and hair laquer!

When necessary we use the Eastcote club rule (credit them cos that is where I first saw it used) of taking the paper test before a race. Place the cars onto a piece of clean plain paper, lift up the car and if the paper comes with it, it`s gotta be cleaned. Helps to keep the track clean and it keeps things even and fair in racing terms.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.