SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I've been lurking around this scratch building thread for a while, and I am sufficiently humbled.

None the less, I've decided to try my first resin casting. I have a Nostalgia Maserati 450S that has a good shape that I want to use as master for the mold, but the casted in louvers are not so good. I filled them in, but now I don't have a clue how to make good looking one on the body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi BillB!
We had quite a good discussion on this maybe about a year ago- if you run a search, you might have to try 'LOUVRES' rather than the American spelling!
It started off with me asking for help in modelling the louvres on the Chaparral 2 for a MRRC/Monogram conversion project.

Lots of good ideas came up, some of which I have used- JP's suggestion of running some paper through a set of R/C gears works VERY well!

Mac P must be the master, though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Howmet

Your right, 'Louvres' is better, thanks. Those are good ideas, I think I see how to do this. Thanks again.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Here's a quick example of a couple of moulds made from rolling bottle tops over my mould material.

Fine

Coarse

With these the louvres can then be cast and added to your model.

Tops from water/milk bottles, Tape measures, and other bits around the house have some quite useful lourve type patterns on them.

·
John Roche
4,156 Posts
I seem to remember an article where someone used layers of cigarette rolling papers and varnished them.

John

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
In the latest Model car Racing magazine - No 17 - Robert S uses Cady Model railroading Louvres added to the bonnet/hood of a healy mk3 to convert to 100s...... - good article

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Alfetta,
I have not had the opportunity to visit the Louvre although I gather the "extension" is in the modern French style and that is only from reading a book called the Da Vinci Code.

I normally like modern French architecture - especially the bridges, viaducts and buildings along the auto routes but obviously some modern buildings when set alongside existing old ones don't "work" - for instance the Science Museum in London.

I was in fact tongue in cheek parodying the the expression that the French make better lovers!!

But I fear we are going to be nabbed by the"topic police" on both subjects !!

j-c

1 - 14 of 14 Posts