Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
In another thread a comment has been made that...

QUOTE RACERS want to go FAST. If HORNBY make FAST cars then RACERS will buy them.

Take it that these RACERS want to have FAST cars without magnets.

Not forgetting that a very large proportion of slot cars are purchased by folk who do not visit clubs and who may only run their cars on home circuits, then should Hornby really give the production of FAST cars without magnets the priority that a few folk here believe they should?

Its has been said that if you want a FAST car you purchase a Slot.It. I don't see anything wrong with that and as Slot.It have the FAST car market covered for club racers maybe Hornby should continue to focus on what they are best at which is producing nicely finished and reliable cars for home racers.

Club racers enjoy tinkering where as home racers do not necessarily need to.

The new "PIT STOP" accessory range from Scalextric being launched shortly will almost certainly offer upgrade parts that satisfy club racers and these parts should enable club racers to produce FAST Scalextric cars.

This surely is a better option for club racers than to upgrade the chassis specification of the whole Hornby/Scalextric range which would mean paying higher prices for cars with a higher chassis specification which is not required at all by the home racer.

Remember that Slot.It and Fly SPORT cars retail at higher prices so you are paying for the FAST racing spec that club racers crave for. I would rather Hornby keep the cars at the current pricing levels and then club racers can spend the £10 or whatever upgrading the cars. It is £10 I personally would rather not spend as I do not need to.

Just my view.

Moped

·
Registered
800 Posts
Fast is good but great handling is better. It's really easy to make a car fast but it isn't easy to make one handle.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In a way Mope has made a good point about racers buying slot it. Yes, the slot it cars have speed and handling in excess of a Scaly car, but there are only 2 bodies and 4 paint jobs to go at. For example, take the GT racing at Pendle on Tuesday night:- First lane, slot it porsche, second lane slot it porsche, third lane slot it porsche, fourth lane...wtf? Ninco Merc CLK GTR!!!

Yes it finished last, but at least it wasn't the same damn car.

I'm not jealous of the Slot it cars...I can just go and buy one, but if I want to see a track full of Porsches I'll wait for the Porsche challenge.

Hybrid cars are the way forward, but that then raises the old chestnut of when is a scaley car no longer a scaley car? etc. etc.

Mark.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
With Hornby's buying power, surely fitting an uprated motor is not going to have a huge effect on price?

Fly and Slot It cars, for example, can be bought for little more than Scalextric Sport prices if you shop around, even though they have far more powerful motors than the Scalex.

I like Scalextric cars generally, but a motor that's equivalent to a Slot It or Fly racing one would be welcome.

Even though I'm only a home racer, I do tinker with my cars, and I do like them to be fast. (Even though you seem to repeatedly suggest that I shouldn't!!) If I want to race without a magnet I'll remove it, but in my opinion a mag should be included.

If Scalextric decide to produce a range of 'Racing Spec' cars, and they are as good as the SlotIt cars, they'll sell. Simple.

Rob

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That is something I have noticed Difflock.

In striving to have a FAST car at a club these days you inevitably end up with fields full of similar outline cars from either Fly or Slot.It unless the club rules prohibit those types.

Let us give the "PIT LANE" accessory range a chance. This may be just what is needed to return us to the pre Slot.It/Fly Racer era when every club racer ran a different car and some would say club racing was more interesting as a result.

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Moped makes a good case here. We all want more for less, but lets be realistic, better cars would cost more.

I have been pleased with the speed and handling of recent scalextric cars.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
QUOTE Let us give the "PIT LANE" accessory range a chance.

Thought you didnt believe in tuning ,must be because its a scaley accessory that has brought on this change in direction

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE With Hornby's buying power, surely fitting an uprated motor is not going to have a huge effect on price?

The issue is you then have to uprate all the running gear aswell to avoid chewed up crowns and pinions, etc. And uprated motors really require uprated power, which may not be possible if the cars are to be sold as toys.

It has been said that some manufacturers produce cars that are not CE rated.

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Hornby have probably got the current power to reliability ratio just about right whilst staying within EEC toy legislation.

Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE Thought you didnt believe in tuning ,must be because its a scaley accessory that has brought on this change in direction

What I do not believe in is paying extra for a chassis specification that I do not require.

If club racers want FAST cars and FAST Scalextric cars then Hornby are shortly going to be offering this option which may well be taken up by club racers.

This seems a much more sensible arrangement than that of generally producing FAST cars and bumping up prices.

Moped

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
QUOTE The issue is you then have to uprate all the running gear aswell to avoid chewed up crowns and pinions, etc. And uprated motors really require uprated power, which may not be possible if the cars are to be sold as toys.

Going to disagree with you there. 'All the running gear'. You mean the pinion, crown gear and possibly bearings? Surely these are areas that Hornby are, or should be, looking at anyway, to improve quality and reliability?

On the subject of power, even with standard Scalextric power supplies, the SlotIt, Fly Racing and other motors are significantly faster than the Scalextric ones. And aren't Digital and Sport World going to have uprated power? Will they still be toys?

Rob

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE On the subject of power, even with standard Scalextric power supplies, the SlotIt, Fly Racing and other motors are significantly faster than the Scalextric ones

I have no experiance of the Fly Racer motor with standard Scaley power but I would have to disagree with you on the Slot.It and Ninco motors. If the power is not uprated they do not perform any better on home circuits IMHO and possibly do not have a suitable power band for home circuits.

Moped

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Disagreeing again! My track is Scalextric Sport, 18metres long. OK, it's a fair bit bigger than a Circuit 4 set!
But, even with standard Scalextric power, Fly Racing, SlotIt, Ninco NC2 and Proslot motors are all much faster than Scalextric motors. Much faster.
OK, this is just my experience on my track. IMHO you probably won't find much difference on a 'box set' track, but on any larger track the other motors are superior.

Rob

PS Any reply to my other points?

·
Registered
514 Posts
QUOTE This surely is a better option for club racers than to upgrade the chassis specification of the whole Hornby/Scalextric range which would mean paying higher prices for cars with a higher chassis specification which is not required at all by the home racer.

I also believe that the majority of people buying Scalextric don't need such upgraded cars. My impression is that a lot of them don't do anything other than simply putting the cars on the track and expect them to function.
Still I don't see why an upgraded chassis/running gear should have to increase the cost on all their models. Surely they could do like Fly, and offer a separate range intended for the racers (like the Fly Racing cars)?

QUOTE Let us give the "PIT LANE" accessory range a chance. This may be just what is needed to return us to the pre Slot.It/Fly Racer era when every club racer ran a different car and some would say club racing was more interesting as a result.

Surely it should be given a chance, but I don't see why this range changes anything. Slot It already offer excellent replacement parts.

QUOTE Going to disagree with you there. 'All the running gear'. You mean the pinion, crown gear and possibly bearings? Surely these are areas that Hornby are, or should be, looking at anyway, to improve quality and reliability?

Why should they be looking into these things? Are there any problems with them?

André

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Consistancy wins races. Faster consistency is of course better, but to win you must first finish. Its no good having a monster motor when you cant keep it on the road.

Slot.it are succesful because the cars handle consistantly, and are always grippy.

It'd even be better to have an always slidey car than an irratic handling car, at least you know what its going to do.

We know hornby don't make cars for racing. Prime example from hornby is the Lister LMP. Offset motor upsets the balance, even when magnet racing. I dread to think what it'd be like without one and no tuning.

To be fair to hornby, Why bother trying to get into the club racer market? Its not their speciality. Hornby make cars for home racers, for children, for first time buyers. They shouldn't feel pressured to cater for club racers who clearly have other options for the race track. And it isn't like they're losing money from not having a 'racing' market, I bet everybody here has at least 2 hornby scalextric cars. And if you didn't, how would you know they aren't good enough for racing?

Hornby do not need to build cars for for club racers, so nobody should be bashing them for this. Its nit-picking. They are a huge company, don't you think they've done enough for slot racing as a whole? Would we even be here without trying that evergreen Le Mans box set? Lay off of hornby, they arent that bad you know.

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
here we are again on the club/home racer trip, one thing that strikes me every time is the assumptions that are made regarding the two groups , its stated as if fact that home racers do nothing to the cars they buy, who did the survey,? how many people where asked ? where can i veiw these findings? the home racer has little or no contact with other home racers, for all we know they could be fitting 8 wheels, 6 bodys 19 guides on each car!!!! we may try to push our own preferences to the fore , but in the end the deciding thing wil be a persons purce and preference . it seems that some people think the management of the car producers spend sleepless nights wondering how to please us, the fact is if they can see how to make a buck with a new product thats what they will do, fly/slot it racers, moto gp, digi . scaley know there is a market for upgrades , allthough a little late in the day, they will pump them out hoping to grab a little of the market. going back to the start of this thread, "do we need fast cars" i dont , and i suspect most people dont recall seeing anyone take a car from his/her box with the idea of coming last , the whole point of car racing is to find a winner, be it buying a fast out of the box car ,or tuning a car. they and only they will make that choice. mac p

·
Registered
514 Posts
QUOTE here we are again on the club/home racer trip, one thing that strikes me every time is the assumptions that are made regarding the two groups , its stated as if fact that home racers do nothing to the cars they buy, who did the survey,? how many people where asked ? where can i veiw these findings?

I'm not sure if this is aimed at my previous post in this topic, but if it is then you seem to be reading FAR to much into my statement.
As I stated this was MY impression. It is based on my experiences both from new members at the club, and talking to people that have, or have had, a slotcar set at home.

André

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE the whole point of car racing is to find a winner

Sorry Mac but disagree with you here.

The whole point of slot car racing is to have fun.

And if racing is close and competitive, no matter whether it is fast or slow, it is much more fun than racing that is uncompetitive becuase one geezer happens to have a FAST car.

It is also much more entertaining to watch a close race also.

So I don't want FAST cars.

What I want are cars in various classes that all perform in a very similar manner FAST or SLOW.

That way boys can have more fun (and girls also).

Moped

1 - 20 of 60 Posts