SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Chevvy Corvette L-88 No48 off of eBay, as it worked out a fiver cheaper than the shops. It comes through the post today with a card inside saying about it being Limited Edition and is # 08914 or 10000.

Is that really a limited edition? Is there that much of a demand for these, or are they thinking about 20/30 yrs in the future?

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
We----elll, strictly speaking that IS a Limited Edition, with the limit being 10,000. There will be no 10,000 and 1th car made (of that particular livery)!

Perhaps we are all getting a little mixed up and presuming "limited" also means small or rare.

The words "limited edition" are emotive and often used to imply that you must act NOW before the supply runs out (I admit I do the same thing), but I would always check to see what the volume of the Limited Edition is.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
From past experiences a run of 10,000 will mean that there will be at least one for everyone in the world that's want one!

In other words, not limited at all!

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Doesn't "Limited edition" mean that they'll be kept as shelf queens and not raced and destroyed so there'll always be lots of them around and their value will increase slower than the standard issues

John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 10 Nov 2004, 15:36)Doesn't "Limited edition" mean that they'll be kept as shelf queens and not raced and destroyed so there'll always be lots of them around and their value will increase slower than the standard issues

Dunno about that. I can't wait to get home from from work and put it up against the Starsky & Hutch GT. My VW Split screen camper is so slow compared!

·
Registered
446 Posts
10,000 is very limited edition considering that some German Scaley Sport GT40's were limited to 2,000. I know that Model trains can escalate vastly in price but I think slot cars are different in LE valuation increase.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Scaley Sport Limeted's are a bit misleading. Not worth much, save for a few such as the German GT40.

If you saved a fiver then you'll still have got it less than a regular crystal case scaley, so you havent exactly wasted your money.

If you are struggling to decide wether to race it or preserve it, then I'd race it. As Phil says, there will be enough for anyone that wants one and I dont see them (corvettes) becomming rare in the future.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Both my Sport Corvettes have been raced. With a production of 10,000 I can't imagine them becoming hard to find if I wish to pick up some mint ones later...

Still I appreciate the fact that Scalextric actually inform me about how many cars are being produced, instead of just labeling a car "Limited Edition" and charging more for it.

André

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
this Hobby Clasic SAAB
http://groups.msn.com/hobbyfoto/slotracepr...oto&PhotoID=441
is more what I'd call limited, one of only 300 made (actually Nr 287/300)

No, I do not race it, it only sees some track for photo's...

And yes, I race my Scalex sport limited edition New Mini Cooper (the red one) at my club
as well as my ltd TVR, Lola, mustang, Williams and other cars

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Scaley German GT-40 is a runner! Box long gone to the trash. Sees regular track time. Sits next to the rest of the Scaley GT-40's.

Already had to glue back the rear foil strip and a front lower headlight...

I guess that makes 1,999 MB left.

With Slot Cars, I buy 'em to play with them. I invest in other things.

Best, Ken R

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
I don't buy slot cars on speculation. But I've often wondered the same question. Regular slot cars may have no upper production limit, but does any slot car ever reach a production of 10,000 in any single livery? And if so, how much higher?

Personally, I prefer replicas of cars that actually existed as 1:1 cars over the premium-priced fantasies of greedy marketeers.

And if you are speculating, why would you buy something that is being marketed as a "limited edition" which will likely not be played with and therefore whose supply will remain pretty much unchanged?

The cars likely to increase in value are those that are liked because they are popular, have a history behind them, and have striking liveries. If a car has all three qualities then it's sure to be a winner. Take the Fly Lola T-70 in the Sunoco colors. The Daytona winning #6 car of Mark Donohue sells at quite a premium on the secondary market. Much higher than any of the other regular issue Fly Lola T-70s. My guess is that in the not-too-distant future that this car will outsell the limited edition Lolas that were offered by Fly at significantly higher retail prices.

Best advice - Buy only what you like. And run them.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that Hornby at times do try to take us for a ride at times with this Limited Edition fiasco. Especially as most are followed up by crystal case versions pretty quickly.

However consider this, both LE versions of the L88 Corvette have been sold out for sometime and the crystal versions are still selling at a steady pace, (that means Phil, that worldwide there are more than 10,000 people willing to buy these models!) unlike the three LE only Italian Job mini's (7000 of each) and the LE Goodwood GT40 set (10,000) which I retailers still have stocks of!

Very occasionally they do produce 'real' limited editions, the previously mentioned German only GT40 C2534a at only 2000 units with no crystal case version, and the Sport only Essex Wire GT40 C2578a which had a run of 5000.

GT

·
Registered
265 Posts
So, all in all, they are limited by how many they can sell. Similar to many 1:1 "LE" production cars.

Run'em for all they're worth!

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
To put things in a bit of perspective,in the late 60s,Classic produced 1,000,000 Manta Rays,a total fantasy car,and all basically in the same livery.

How's that for UN limited Eh!

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
QUOTE However consider this, both LE versions of the L88 Corvette have been sold out for sometime and the crystal versions are still selling at a steady pace, (that means Phil, that worldwide there are more than 10,000 people willing to buy these models!)

I struggled to sell the last of the Sport #48 'vette that I had and that was at £18 !

A quick look at other retailers (Pendle, Scalemodels and MRE) found that they all have this car in stock.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
When a model is a Limited Edition of 10,000, that to me is a total farce. A limited Edition should be a very small run of say 500 or less. The lower the number the better, to make them worth collecting and preserving.

M

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE I think that Hornby at times do try to take us for a ride at times with this Limited Edition fiasco. Especially as most are followed up by crystal case versions pretty quickly.

But it isn't just Scalextric to be fair, they ALL do it in one form or another. There is no doubt that the words 'limited edition' spark the squirrel in us all (well speaking broadly that is, before you all shout NOT ME!) and we start hoarding.
I do and I am not even a collector!........... well I'm not!................ no more than Ecurie Ecosse and Jexy anyway

'Limited Edition' is it to become as synonymous with the Slot Hobby as 'rare' is to Ebay?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Slot cars are for playing with. Collectors who collect nice things need not worry about value. Investors deserve what they get! If you want to make money out of slot cars do your own research! Don't rely on 'limited edition' stickers, or the term 'RARE' on ebay! No-one said making money was going to be easy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts