SlotForum banner

How long should a set of tyres last?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Black3sr 
#1 ·
OK so we have ploably run one of the Slot.it Porsch 956's for about 2000 - 7 second laps using a stock scaley motor. The as supplied tyres were trued but not glued using sandpaper. The tyres now have a distinct radius on both sides about 1 mm into the width. We suspect this is sufficient to impact the grip of the tyre. Is this to be expected? Is this wear sufficient to be significant? Would it be less if we gluded the tyres on? This is not a complaint its more about re-ordering tyres (we are standardising of Slot.it P6) so that we don't run out. As we get better the laps per night are going up. In Tuesdays eveings entertainment we did about 1000 laps so tyre replacement may be an issue.

#2 ·
What track surface are you running on wood, sandtex, Scaly Sport??
With or without magnets??
I would highly recommend you glue P6's on.
I can not comment on how they will last but it will be longer than you would expect (except on Sandtex!). Our Club Meganes have run all year on the same set of P6's which equates to 6 nights of racing, and approximately 3000 laps on a smooth wood track.
Although not as relevent we recently ran a four hour endurance race using Slot.It Jag XKR12s on NSR Ultra Grips the winning car did 2500 laps and there was still some life left in the tyres.
Hope that helps

Brembo

#4 ·
A 1mm radius on the outside of a tyre doesn't sound like a problem, could be an advantage. Some racer put that sort of radius on deliberately, it helps prevent the rear end hopping about in corners which can happen when the tyres have a square shoulder.

Wearing away the diameter of the tyres is the problem, how quick this happens and how little ground clearance you can run down to depends on a number of factors. Check out the ground clearance under the rear end and see how quick its wearing in YOUR conditions.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
In March this year, there was a 12 hour race, there is a thread somewhere on here about it. Using Standard Pioneer Mustangs on standard tyres. If you look at a Pioneer tyres, you will see the lettering. After 4 hours of hard racing, the tyres on all cars had warn down to this lettering. So where changed.
Some tyres ware more than others. Apart from Silicon.
300SLR sums it up.

#7 ·
The track is scaley sport we are using and no mags. I guess the issue becomes diameter if the radius is not an issue. So far we have really not addressed this, we just sand it down till its flat and the same diameter both sides. My be we need to start looking at ground clerance spacifically.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
What a strange question to ask

Obviously you keep the same tyres on (cleaning them every 50 laps or so) until your performance drops off and then you get a new pair of tyres. You decide this by looking at your lap times. Other people can't decide it for you.

A pair of tyres will last for 1000's and 1000's of laps so just keep racing and don't worry about this at all.

#10 ·
Hi Ush Cha

Jeeees' louise...
...you's a couple a few years older than my 40's ass.

1000 LAPS PER NIGHT !!!!!!

RESPECT !

Try silicon tyres on your Sport track...
...and don't put OIL on them, just clean them with alchohol or meths, before a spin on track.

Keep it FAST dude !

Cheers

Si.

#11 ·
Si Not sure why you think a 1000 7 second laps laps is a lot in an evening. Its about 2 1/2 hrs actual driving. We get the track up by about 19:30 and drive till about 23:30 (with tea breaks). Cleaning tyres every 50 laps not very practical for us. One session (between tea breaks was 245 laps), However P6 on sport do not degrade too quick. Have yet to try the masking tape taped to the pit lane yet. That would get us a quick clean about every 50 laps. When there is 3 of us on two lane the lap count dopps a bit as the third mamber is not as good at staying on and he insisys on a snack which takes up driving time! To me digital is about being able to drive more than wait around due to the restrictions of analouge. Plus of course it adds far more depth to the challenge. Clearly tyre wear is something we will just have to watch. Thanks for the comments.

#13 ·
If you have separate 50 lap races, then its probably a good idea to clean tyres between races. However, in non stop longer races, its questionable how often its worth stopping to clean tyres.
Stopping to clean tyres takes time out of your race, it's only worth doing if it makes you quicker for long enough to make up for the lost pit time.
That all depends on conditions so there's no universal answer.
In a lot of conditions 50 laps is way too often to stop, but as I say that's not necessarily true in all conditions.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Si. @ 19 Dec 2011, 06:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ush Cha

Jeeees' louise...
...you's a couple a few years older than my 40's ass.

1000 LAPS PER NIGHT !!!!!!

RESPECT !

Respect indeed!!!

I always used to (and still do) rub the tires before a race on my invented "bandenboard" (tyreboard), Which simply consists of a piece of cardboard taped with the doublesided carpettape and hung to a wall or something)

But after reading the great tip of putting it on the track in the pitlane I thought why not put it on the track itself...(the pitlane is too far away on my track to put it there comfortably...)
So I put one strip between the tracks, and another cut in two on the outside, and it works remarably wel!!

Before long the tape will start to look like this:

Awesome solution! The only thing to watch out for is that you'll have to drive pretty fast over it or the cars will be stuck when the tape is just applied! (So just in front or after a hairpin is not such a good place for a tirerub
)

Keep it in the slot!
Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.