SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTE (moped rider @ 10 Oct 2004, 11:51)PS The other thing is, is it necessary to retain every message posted since day one. I have noted that there are over 50000 message posted and this in itself must use up storage space if nothing else. If a message/thread has not been read for 180 days or whatever, should you consider the auto delete option?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In answer, I'd have to say yes....

Illustration:

Recently on SCI there was a request for information on the TeamSlot Saleen S7 roadcar. Having written an in depth photo review myself sometime previously and posted it to SCI, I did a search.... It wasn't found... It had been deleted due to age (or maybe SCI's appalling search function had done its' worst again?).

So, if we want a constant reinventing the wheel scenario, the 180 day cut off is a cracking idea...

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Being an intelligent chap, RR3.9, hits the nail right on the head!

(Or should that be hits the mop on its head?)

Valuable information like that definitely should be kept as long as possible.
But there IS a good case for weeding out all the garbage, leaving the jewels still to be found and made use of. Scraping out piles of extraneous carp would make that preservation much easier, too. The particular type of carp I am referring to are the mile long 1-to-2 private conversation, of zero interest to anyone but the participants, that would have been better as phone calls or PMs, in case anyone is wondering!

I AM going to look into that, but only after I figure out how to split this topic to avoid the potential confusion created by a certain person appearing unable to stick to his own point! A good example of "Never mind the quality, feel the width!"

Later - Success - that's MUCH better in its own topic!
Now let's see some quality!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I think all of Moped's posts should have their own section so that new users can read all about his points of view and learn that he is not a trustworthy source of information or, indeed, a sane individual. It will save us all time explaining to them.

I think all kinds of reviews should be kept in a seperate section, and then maybe one more section for other posts which look useful.

Unfortunatly, this would take lots of man hours and I would have thought that Nuro would rather pay for the extra bit of storage than go through all of the hassle of sorting it, but it's his decision...

I think that any post that is deleted will be searched for at least once. I'd rather that it all stayed the same... I've just got used to this square set-up as opposed to the old rounded one... Humph...

McLaren

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ultimately its all down to the costs of storing the information versus the value of the information.

The only way is to have an archive section for stuff that it is felt should be saved for posterity.

And then of course there is the cost of time spent archiving information.

How do you value all this?

Maybe Slotforum should request volunteers to scrutinise old threads but then one mans meat is another mans cabbage.

Moped

·
Registered
398 Posts
Depends on how recently you were looking for the review on SCI.

The last week or so Alan Smith has been transferring materials to another new server and has not gotten caught up yet on reposting all the past materials.

Especially the review articles. You might like to check with him on the status of such reviews at the present time. Admitedly the search function od EZboard is atrocious.

Larry S.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Archiving is ONE way, certainly not the only way.
A bit of intelligent weeding by experienced gardeners is a lot more elegant than bringing in lorries to take the mess somewhere else and starting again.

It's actually not very difficult to find great mounds of garbage and dump them to make room for fresh blooms in the existing garden. It might well be an excellent stress relieving activity, come to think of it.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
For me, please don't delete anything from the following Forums:

Scratch Building
Master Classes
Tracks & Scenery
Slot Racing & Tuning

The other forums I tend to only read once and never search on them. But the above forums are a gold mine of information, techniques and skill that I constantly search on.

PS The search facility works superbly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know for certain, but we may be getting ourselves in a twist over a 'problem' that isn't really a problem.

Firstly, if there was indeed an issue re: storage, Nuro would have raised it.

Secondly, most of this board is text based, and text compresses enormously for storage purposes, and if you look down at the bottom right corner of this page, you should see 'gzip (compression) enabled' so that's been taken care of already.

So bearing that in mind, and the efficient search engine built into the board, we may be INDEED worrying over a 'problem' which isn't actually a problem at all....

Yet

-Rob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The Forum Software IS absolutely superb.
Do rest completely assured that NOTHING will go without thorough management discussion AND the express permission of the Adminstrator, the guy who provided this great forum, the guy who continues to provide us with the most up to date facilities in the field.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd just like to add my opinion to those of the others...Slot Forum has added greatly to my enjoyment of our hobby and I would be sad at the loss of any of its information. I can't imagine not being able to check back on some of the posts by David Lawson, Russell Sheldon, Fergy and others in the 60's F1 thread. I hope we never loose one syllable.

Jim

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Diskspace is very cheap. Hard-drives are easy to add. Don't worry, nothing will get deleted.

Also, we backup the database every day so if there is a crash, we will recover all the data.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE Don't worry, nothing will get deleted.

Thanks, Nuro! I would understand if it became a problem, but I love the fact that I can go back and see the history of the posts on this forum and the threads that I care most about. This place is a virtual encyclopedia!

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
I agree with Fergy!.........(must try to stop doing that......), I use this wonderful Forum as a resource, or just to look back on some of the great cars on here.

Regards

Alan
PS this is a vote for keeping old threads please if possible.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Glad to hear that nothing needs to be deleted!

And would like to express my thanks to Moped for assisting the Moderators on this and other crucial matters which otherwise would have lead to certain disaster

1 - 15 of 15 Posts