SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long do your cars (that get used) last before bits get snapped off them. just getting back into this lark so got a lister storm sport and it lasted about 2mins before a bit cam off in a head on with a C2117 audi

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do antennas and rear-view mirrors count?

My record was the first GT race at our club last year (it is a class in which almost everything is permitted); I entered an heavily modified Fly Porsche 911 EVO GT1-98, with Slot.it HRS chassis and many parts from the original chassis glued to the body.
At the end of the race I got back pieces of my car from all of the marshalls on the track...

Ciao
Otello

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It really does depend on the car (and your driving of course
)
I have quite a few that have been regularly thrashed within an inch of their little plastic lives but haven't a mark on them. I also admit to having a few that are rather splendidly bashed, battered and missing bits!

Generally, the older and/or simpler cars stand up to a damned good thrashing much better than highly detailed models with separate parts.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
quite a while because i make sure any race cars a stripped of anything that could be removed by a crash

however I'm in a bad mood today and I had BAAAD experience see my SCX thread

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
First Scaley Sport Astra V8 I bought from Sean got so nervous on the way to me it talked its side mirrors into leaping off the car and into a small plastic bag before I unpacked it!

Seriously though Andy, you WILL get damage, everyone does. It is one of the trade offs for detail as far as I am concerned, once you know they are fragile you learn to get round it or cope.

Lap Counter is on its way to you on Monday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a growing collection of broken body parts

I used to glue them back on but have now just given up. The only way to ensure no breakages is leave them in the box (or crawl round the track)

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hmmm... I broke the antenna off a Fly Saleen before getting it out of the box.
Fumbled the case while opening it, case fell 6 inches to table and crystal cover sheered off antennae as it bounced free from car and base. Not really a worry though as I'm sure that would have departed the car very quickly once on track.
Still, like the 1:1 pro race teams, I'd rather break parts while racing, not while unloading!

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

I´m working for small IT company with 15 people - one day I decided to delight the fellow-workers with rail-racing. Built a nice NINCO track on a billiard table. Here's what has happened all too often:

So far there has been 4 weeks of racing, average 1 hour/day and NINCO MB and BMW have flown about 50 times each from table top to the floor. This is about 1,5 meters drop each time.

Despite of this harsh treatment the cars are still running. Naturally I have done some service every now and then, but I´m really surpriced how bodies of both cars have tolerated this treatment. Chassis is still in good shape in both cars, motors, running gear, tyres, rims still original. Most common problem after crashing to the floor is bronze bearing coming out of its holder. Easily fixed.

But to your original question andy, these cars had just a few laps before first bits came off. Mirrors first, then rear spoiler. Windshield wiper of MB. Then car bodies started to lose smaller pieces as seen at the pictures. After about 30 jumps my lighting system began to fail and I had to disconnect brake and rear lights of MB. Brake light of BMW is constantly on due to electrical failure. About 40 jumps and MB interior came loose and I had to glue it with epoxy resin. Overall BMW has tolerated bad treatment better than MB.

I have to compliment NINCO for their high quality cars.
I was really surprised to see how much bad treatment these cars can tolerate.

Julius

PS.
My FLY "out of box" Lister Storm lasted about 20 laps. Then drive shaft . . . .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Those are great shots Julius!
Maybe now the rest of you understand my use of nets around our track. Most tracks have solid barriers (the better to smash the cars up), I , knowing how I race, went with a soft cove base molding wall around the table and then the nets. If you get off the table to the concrete floor, you deserve it. ( the floor is very unforgiving, unlike my hammer) Are your friends starting to buy (and wreck) their own cars? Looks like great fun!

Keep at it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
My cars get banged up enough racing, let alone when they hit the floor

Had some friends pop in Friday night (they live 1800km away) and we ended up out in the shed doing some laps which became seriously competitive. Two Scaley Mustangs, a Scaley Camaro and a Scaley Mustang chassis with a Carrera 'Cuda body.

End toll of the night was Mustangs all lost their front bumpers, craked the front air dam on the Camaro and broke the ends off the rear bumper on the Plymouth. All cars incurred extra scratches and chips outta the front leading edge of the bonnet. Like Jamie, mostly the prangs were from T bones.

But we had the best time. It brought out a side in our wives that my mate hadn't seen before
My missus, of Italian origins, drove like Fangio on performance enhancing drugs!
She is now banned from using my 'Cuda (It has a secret...Slot.it V12/2b with a 10T pinion) She's too fast!

To stop the cars kissing the concrete, my track has a plexiglass "wall" around it. It is 200mm high, doesn't impede retrieving deslots and flexes enough to absorb some of the harder hits. It really only needs to be in the spots where "table offs" happen.

And being clear, it doesn't look aesthetically wrong.

Steve

Cheers

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

Thanks, Harry for your nice comments about the photos. I have to confess that I crashed my MB intentionally about 5 times to get good set of photos. They should produce faster digicameras! I knew that the cars would take some jumps to the floor but didn´t bother building barriers since this is not a permanent track. One of my workmates got Scaley Ford GT40. Proved to be an excellent car on the track, but its body is not as damage-tolerant as NINCO car bodies. Also tyres kept coming out of rims. It can be that Scaley has been designed for less-magnetic downforce and smoother surface of the Sport track.

Here´s a collection of parts. Combine part to a car.

Julius

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's difficult for the manufacturers.
Whenever we have a discussion about extra detail Vs performance and practicality, it seems that a majority of us keep telling them we buy the cars for the detail, we want more and better detail.
So that's what we mostly get.
But we have to live with the consequences of damage during racing.

I've mentioned it before, but it would seem like a nice compromise if the car could be produced to the highest level of detail that the manufacturer judges he wants to provide, but to also produce an alternative, simplified body for racing purposes.
I don't think it's going to happen, but I like the idea in principle!

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
I think NINCO had great balance of looks, functionality and price with their 2001-2002 cars.
Since then they have increased prices for 2003-4 cars and added marketing gimmics that really don´t work for you, such as twin-rubber band 4WD and suspension.
Well, this is my opinion anyway - feel free to disagree.

Julius

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now a days, I strip the car of "loose" parts; mirrors, wing etc before using it.
I'm a big fan of details and I want as much details on the car as possible, making it look real. Even if this makes me carry some of the details in a small plastic bag on the side

My FLY C5R's lasted about 20 laps of hard "gonna get that record" pace, before desposing of the roofantenna.(it took a 4 meter long slide on the roof to do it.)
The FLY M3GTR has lasted about 30 laps and has a big crak in the wing and also misses the roofantenna.
My new Lister Storm (se other Thread), had the roofantenna gone missing within 10 laps.
My SCX 4wd cars have taken some serious beating and they are still just paintscratched...nothing else..

I bought a new Scaley Astra V8 last year just for a GT-race on a routed track with no mags.
After half a day's hard racing it had a cracked windshield, broken wing, loose interior, both headlamps were missing and a piece of the body was gone(just behind the front wheel, both sides)

Still, this is just battlescars and they make the car look better IMHO.
If I want it "good & clean", I'll put it on the shelf

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hey Tropi, you mean like Fly Racer shells?

I say, detail in the moulding, don't care about the paint job (it all adds weight), leave off the wing mirrors and antennas. Well you know what I mean.

Lotus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts