SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
At our club SCHORC we have 14 paid up members how many do you have.

LHORC has one
DHORC has?
CHORC has?
ECHO has?
WHO has?
FLBT HO has?
MBR HO has?
HONK has? The newest HO club in the UK

EAHORC is discounted as it is a association of existing HO clubs!

Are there any other HO clubs out there?

There seems to be a lack of HO clubs in the north, above Derbyshire why is that?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 22 May 2012, 19:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your information about LHORC is incorrect.

So correct it then.

Is it none?

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Okay, to flesh that last statement out a bit more:

WHO has had 34 people race so far this season, 16 of whom were juniors and 9 rookies.

Last year 44 racers scored championship points, 19 juniors and 22 rookies. About half a dozen failed to score points, so the total was a bit higher.

In 2010 it was 57 racers, 32 juniors and most were rookies.

But you could go to www.whoracing.org.uk/racing.html and see for yourself.

We decided not to have formal membership. Instead, everyone at WHO has a say in the running of the club. This does depend on me and Robin listening to and acting on what our racers say, but it seems to be working well so far

At WHO juniors are 100% equal in stature and importance. They do have their own championship too, but Ashley has won a race outright and set pole on another occasion, plus plenty of juniors have taken grown-up scalps in the finals. Including mine

And of course, any racer who makes the effort to join us at the Barn can race for the win and for championship points, even if they are members of other clubs. And we welcome their feedback too

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
We're more of a racing co-operative than a club and all 3 of us race at least 2 scales, I drove 4 different scales of cars, did a few rally special stages, some road race courses and drag racing, plastic chassis cars, metal chassis cars, cars with magnets and cars without magnets, I also drove a police car and the A-Team van, all in one day at Gaydon, I enjoyed all of them, people should try more new forms of slot car, you never know what you'll find that you'll enjoy.

I never even got round to trying any digital tracks, maybe I'll find time next year - but I doubt it.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Nothing wrong with a racing co-operative Julian (many happy returns, by the way).

One of the cool things about WHO is the various other slot racing that goes on between the races and the wide variety of what people run at home or collect. Not trying something because of whatever is just plain stupid. We may all have been guilty of that - maybe with oval racing or dragstrips or digital - but each can be really good fun.

Anyway, I wonder what the point of the O/P was? Hopefully it wasn't just an excuse for a lame pop at Deane

All the clubs in the list apart from MBR, DHORC and CHORC were represented in the HO Zone on Sunday, helping to build the hobby. So that's a good sign

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I too wonder where the OP is going with this, if anywhere. I guess we will find out in time, but the premise fails because not all clubs have memberships.

Membership levels don't tell the whole story anyway, for that you need to look at attendance figures and also attend races at the club in question to check out the vibe.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (slowracer @ 22 May 2012, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>At our club SCHORC we have 14 paid up members how many do you have.

LHORC has one
DHORC has?
CHORC has?
ECHO has?
WHO has?
FLBT HO has?
MBR HO has?
HONK has? The newest HO club in the UK

Just to clarify the locations of the HO clubs in the UK

SCHORC Yelling, Cambridgeshire, meets monthly plus extra meetings throughout the year

LHORC somewhere in london, no recent known meetings

DHORC Derby, meets twice a month

CHORC Chesterfield, meets monthly plus extra meetings

ECHO Suffolk, no recent known meetings

WHO Worthing, Sussex, meets monthly

FLBT HO Marlborough, Swindon, Wiltshire, meets occasionally

MBRHO Kings Lynn, meets occasionally

HONK Chatham Kent, meets occasionally

Are you interested in HO racing and live near any of these clubs?

If so go along for a taste of organised racing

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
MBR HO no longer exists. It was an occasional sub-division of the 1/32 club but Martin and Dave, who ran it, have ceased regular HO racing and nobody else is interested in carrying it on. We still host one EAHORC meeting a year but that is the sum total of our HO involvement.

I will shortly be mothballing the HO section of our website so any links from other HO clubs will cease to work and need to be removed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is just the opinion of an "outsider" I have nothing to do with running WHO but race there and have to ask----Why are you so worried about other peoples race clubs??????? If you want to use ideas from other clubs then I am sure that a simple conversation will cover everything!!!! As for paid up members it is myself and twin children that race,,,due to other commitments we are unable to attend every race night(last year anyway)(this year is going well have been to everyone so far!)so I would be reluctant to pay out for 3 people to race when there is a good chance that we will be unable to attend.

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Tony, this is the info we were giving to hundreds of people at the UK Slot Car Festival on Sunday - but you present it without the wow-factor of being able to drive the cars, see a wide selection up close, watch videos of races and being able to talk face-to-face with guys who know about the scale.

Of course, you chose not to join us on Sunday, despite having the offer of a free pass to the Festival.

Just to say that most of these clubs, HO groups within 1/32 clubs and racer co-operatives (plus many informal groups not listed) do have either a SlotForum club section or a website or both. Some also produce videos that give some indication of the fun we have racing HO.

EAHORC national series website on SlotForum on YouTube
SCHORC - South Cambs on SlotForum
AVHORA - East Anglia on SlotForum
LHORC - London website
DHORC - Derby website on SlotForum on YouTube
CHORC - Chesterfield website on SlotForum
ECHO - Suffolk website
WHO - West Sussex website on SlotForum on YouTube
FLBTHO - Wiltshire website on SlotForum
MBRHO - King's Lynn website on SlotForum
HONK - Kent website on SlotForum
BURN - Brighton website on YouTube

These are all from the links section of our WHO site. And the list does change almost constantly - some drop off and new ones are added. It's sad that MBRHO might be mothballed, yet it looks like a regular HO night might be taking shape at the BSCRA club in Ipswich.

Personally, I'd like to see lots more HO clubs and if our experience at WHO can be helpful, then that's great. I'm always very happy to help out, answer questions or send info.

Still wondering why this thread exists. But maybe it's more fun to watch a vid of a great HO event

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
There are a number of reasons for having a membership requirement.

It could be that is makes it easier to open a bank account or get funding if you can show you have members. It could be that your landlord insists on it for security reasons, or your club's Constitution for the same reason. Membership can be revoked and you can therefore control who is on the premises, although allowing guests and non-members obviously dilutes the effect of that, as it would at DHORC for example.

In the case of SCHORC it is simply a revenue stream for slowracer. The fact you cannot score points unless you are a member there is the use of a stick to increase membership. Membership should either be cost-neutral (over the course of a season members and non-members would pay similar amounts) or carry benefits (discounts on purchases, such as with EAHORC).

·
Andy Player
3,875 Posts
Technically, we do have members at WHO. When anyone signs in to race they automatically become a member - that's in our club's constitution. Yes, we need members for the admin reasons Deane gives above. We just call them Racers. And membership is free

Incidentally, we charge a £2 race fee if racers run their own cars and £2.50 if they use the club cars.

That race fee income covers our £25 hall rental, plus public liability insurance and upkeep of our equipment. The income for an event we run for a local church each autumn pays for upgrades to the club equipment.

Perhaps more importantly, plenty of our racers / members have donated their time, expertise, equipment and materials to help make the club what it is today. Robin and me are very lucky to have such a great bunch of people at WHO....

BTW, the WHO club shop is run separately, with an initial start-up from club funds. It is run on a barely-for-profit basis and stocks only cars and parts that we run in our WHO classes and a few parts that racers might need for Eahorc races.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Fingers crossed Lee.

As you hope to have several sections it would probably be best to just use one name for all of it - ISCC.

What happens with ECHO after the Autumn national we can sort out at the time, but for now work hard on your new venture but don't get ahead of yourself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.