Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many Slotcars & Accessories were ever made?
50,000213.33%
100,00016.67%
150,00000.00%
200,00016.67%
250,00016.67%
500,000320.00%
1,000,00000.00%
2,500,000746.67%

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am part of the ToyPedia team and am just doing some planning. Here my back of an envelope calculation:

Vehicles

Aurora, Carrera, Scalextric each 5,000 (counting all colour and other variations); 25 companies each with 500 cars and 250 with 50 for a total of 52,500.

Assecories

A relation of 3 to 1 to vehicles for 157,500
So a total of 170,000 for this totally uneducated guess? How much am I off?

Christian

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My reply is as uneducated as your guess, but I can't see manufacturers producing 3 accessories for every car, by your sums that would mean Scalextric have released 15,000 different accessories??? Regards Jason

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Hi Christian,

In short, I think this is almost impossible to calculate!

Just counting all the parts manufacturers from the 60s in the United States is an endless task, and new ones seem to pop up every day, even now. There were a lot of companies that just made an item or two and then disappeared... leaving very little trace except on ebay... and various garage sales.

I also wouldn't count color/livery variants as different - that would be a subcategory of cars. And remember that this is a fairly recent phenomenon, in the RTR era. (also, in case you haven't guessed, I find this an incredibly boring and rather worthless part of collecting, but that's a personal opinion)

However, I'll think about this, at least for the vintage part of things. For what it's worth, hopefully this year there will be a new edition of Vintage Slot Cars, with a complete listing of US and US inspired slotcars from the 60s - not sure how many he's up to now, but I think there are about 50 or 60 pages of listings.

Don

PS: what would this be for? some kind of grid for collectors to see what they got and what they don't?

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that it will be very difficult, probably impossible to calculate but might still be a fun exercise. The idea s to create a directory that can be used for many purposes (was there ever a orange CV2 slotcar? what accessories exist for my Rallye Paris-Dakar layout? what is this item that I found on the car boot? etc) as well for collection management (these are the items I have, these the ones I want that you could also share with friends).

Re Philippe de Lespinay, he is on the ToyPedia Advisory Board and allowed the use of his book, I believe we already incorporated all of his content - see for some of the stories written here.

Also, check out the listing for the Corgi Batmobile, which is so far probably our best listing.

Christian

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I don't see the calculation itself as "fun" but, if you're serious about this being useful for planning purposes, I agree with Jason and would suggest a much lower ratio of accessories to cars than 3:1. If you're counting "colour and other variations" as distinct cars, the ratio may be less than 1:1. I assume you're referring to track accessories, etc, and not including replacement parts for cars.
I've looked at ToyPedia's slotcar area and suggest that you NOT have a separate page for each colour variation. That would make for slow reading - and a lot of extra work for yourselves.

This project has its attractions but is vulnerable to the weaknesses of any wiki site. You should perhaps do some urgent "moderating" on the current Scalextric section's entries, for one. The 10 or so cars listed are described as diecasts and scales are not differentiated.
Good to see Philippe involved for the American brands, however. There are gaps in the Monogram coverage, but I suppose those will be filled in the course of time. You may wish, though, to work out how to better differentiate between 1:24 and 1:32 models.

Sorry for being a GOM today. I suppose I should join and post my two cents' worth, but there are many better informed than I am, and I'm not sure that I wish to sign up on another website at present. Maybe I'll send one of you a PM. Which one?
Rob J

For other readers, see also the top "pinned" thread here in Vintage and Collector's Corner, http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61554 .

·
Ian
99 Posts
For centuries, mankind knew all there was to know about the shape of the Earth. It was a flat planet, shaped roughly like a circle, with lots of pointy things hanging down from the underside. On the comparatively smooth topside, Europe sat in the middle of the circle, with the other continents scattered about the fringes, and parts of Africa hanging over the edge. The oceans lapped against the sides of the Earth, and in places ran over, creating currents that would pull over the edge ships that ventured too far out to sea. The space beyond the edge of the world was a dark realm inhabited by all sorts of unholy beasts. Fire and brimstone billowed up from the very depths of hell itself and curled 'round the cliffs whose infinite length jutted straight down to the darkest depths . . .

April the first right? Humm coffee..............

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi roblees, I have been given the user rank of moderator for technical reasons and do not plan to use it to moderate (my role is to implement the slotcar sections of ToyPedia and the new marketplace here on SlotForum, to avoid confusion I will ask Doug to change it to something more appropriate, maybe ToyPedia Man).

Dhersh, thanks for sharing that link, I had forgotten about that thread and have now read it.

Rob J, send your PM to Adamwoo, he coordinates all Slotcar ToyPedia data coming in. Re Scalextric we had to put something up very quickly for Nuremberg - I assume we will rip the existing entries out and start from scratch. I assume it will take the support by a few members here to get it right. Re different colours we add them as variations, that way interesting information on the engine, its history, production process, licensing arrangments or whatever else is known would be edited to the model page with information only be added on the underlying variation page if it is only relevant to the variation, here the Faller HO Scale Ford Capri as an example.

Bllep, keen to hear the rest of the story!

·
Registered
576 Posts
An ambitious project - or maybe overambitious?
Listing colors, color variations and liveries as different entities sounds worrying.
A systematic arrangement of inanities may well be a sisyphean task.

As for the poll in top of this thread, how and what do you count?
I.e. is the Scalextric Sport C2403A Gulf Ford GT40 #9 to be counted as a single car, or 5000 cars ("limited edition")?
What about the C2404A, same car #6? And the countless "non-limited" cars in these Gulf liveries?
And the spares for these cars: Body underpan, motors, tires, wheels etc.?

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Chapman,

We like to document every item that is different, so every variation including pre-production, Code 2s and (later) every spare part allowing (a little bit later than later) the association of each part with the models that they are part of or could be part of. For now I propose to poll the number of Cars and Accessories for now.l

Is this ambitious? Yes. Is Wikipedia not equally ambitious? With 20,000 volunteers we can do it over a five year horizon (I believe we need to document 100 million items). We have added 19,500 items in February with so far 750 volunteers, 500 companies, 18 auction houses, 14 book authors and 3 museum helping.

Re listing colors, color variations and liveries as different entities we have build rules for diecast and I would like to do the same here, these will develop over time and sometimes we will have to go back and redo a section. Any ideas are welcome.

Christian

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
If the main purpose of this resource is to help people identify items they have come across then I would expect to be able to search ToyPedia for that item description and see all instances of it.
For example - if I came across a GT40 I would like to see a list of all GT40s made by all manufacturers and be able to order it by date, colour, manufacturer depending on what clues the model gave me as to its identity (model number, drive train configuration, date etc.) If I came across a model I couldn't identify but it was blue and was stamped copyright 1967 then I would like to be able to see all blue cars produced in 1967.

At the end of the day the categories you input for each variant will determine how easy it is to find stuff in the order you want it. As this is not a book you should be able to search on whatever categories are likely to give the user the information they want.

Trying to determine the format of the list is a bit of a red herring - if the user is presented with a question - "how do you want your list ordered?" then the data can be presented in whatever way they want. From my point of view a list with a small thumbnail photo would be enough for me to click-through to the detail page for that item. You don't need to create a page for each car - the database template report will do that and simply show the data the user has asked for through the chosen template (a sort of window on the database).

What you are able to collect for each variant is the important bit so this is what you should be debating.

This way you can home in on a model from whatever direction you like.

·
Adam Woolhouse
28 Posts
QUOTE (Joschik @ 5 Mar 2012, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am part of the ToyPedia team and am just doing some planning. Here my back of an envelope calculation:

Vehicles

Aurora, Carrera, Scalextric each 5,000 (counting all colour and other variations); 25 companies each with 500 cars and 250 with 50 for a total of 52,500.

Assecories

A relation of 3 to 1 to vehicles for 157,500
So a total of 170,000 for this totally uneducated guess? How much am I off?

Christian

I voted 500,000. I think there's going to around 30-50 slot car companies with some of the older ones producing a great deal more than 500 cars. I would agree roughly with the accessories ratio of 3:1

Hopefully I'm not alone in my assumptions!

Adam

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 6 Mar 2012, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For example - if I came across a GT40 I would like to see a list of all GT40s made by all manufacturers and be able to order it by date, colour, manufacturer depending on what clues the model gave me as to its identity (model number, drive train configuration, date etc.) If I came across a model I couldn't identify but it was blue and was stamped copyright 1967 then I would like to be able to see all blue cars produced in 1967.

That is what we are working towards, actually you would have the added option to chose if you also wanted to see diecast or R/C vehciles, their scale etc.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
I have seen threads on here where Phillipe (PDL/TSRF) stated that Cox produced as much as a million of one car ........ (not all sold
)

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Bernard Sampson's slot car museum http://bernardsslotcarmuseum.com/ listed 272 manufacturers when I last looked.
He is constantly finding new items, so its a fair bet that number will go up in future.
I don't think this is attempting to catalogue all the current producers - for example, I couldn't spot NSR on his list - guess they are too modern to be museum exhibits just yet?

Joschik
Why do you need the number.
If it just a question of database sizing, erring on the high side would be better than too small. So far it's plain to see nobody can do better than a very very rough estimate of the total number.
Good luck with the project

·
Rich Dumas
3,532 Posts
Over a million Classic Manta Rays were sold around 1965. Aurora sold something like 26 million Thunderjets by 1967, if I recall correctly. Aurora stopped selling T-Jets in 1972, but NOS cars are still available. Imagine being able to buy NOS cars 40 years after they went out of production. Back in 1963 a complete car cost $3, today a rolling chassis is $15.

·
Christian Braun
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Corgi Batmobile was produced 5.5m times, obviously those would only count for one item. We already have some Cox on ToyPedia (courtesy of Phillipe).

300SLR, will have to check Bernard's site tonight - thanks for the lead! I do not need the number but enjoy thinking about it (it seems that we are having a pretty good discussion here).

·
Phil Smith
2,621 Posts
I remember seeing a total for Scalextric's turnover for, if I remember correctly, 1966, cannot remember the total either but do remember that if you worked out the average selling price of the cars in the range for that year and divided it into the total you got a figure of around 2 million units sold in that year.
I would say that the amount of accessories/buildings sold compared to cars is very low, judging by the amount that turns up now, probably around 10%.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts