SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times do you visit Slotforum each day?
less than 1 visit per day24.26%
1 visit per day612.77%
2-5 visits per day 2246.81%
6-10 visits per day 919.15%
11-25 visits per day 36.38%
more than 25 visits per day 510.64%

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Moped, this continuing obsession with what "club racers" think/do/feel is unhealthy. Just join a club!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My post has been edited to avoid any missunderstanding as it may be influencing the voting pattern judging by comments made so far. The spirit of what was said has nothing to do with the replies above and was intended to be taken in a lighthearted way.

The thread was inspired as a result of reading another thread elsewhere in which a Slotforum member stated that he visited about 10 times a day during intervals at work. I was just curious as to what compelled him and others like him (me?
) to visit so often. What is the fascination with reading what folk say about slot cars?

Moped

·
Gary Skipp
6,507 Posts
I don't count really, its hard to say.

If im not at college and bored, then about 2836283643654. Today i've been busy, so twice.

I voted the one with 10 in, its probably a rough average.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wouldn't tell anyway, no one's business but mine. Go count the posts for each and divide, if you have a mind to.

Or---errr, no I won't go there.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
One question : I read (Cheney - Edwards debate) that web sites are charged by their ISP on the basis of number of hits

Is that the case for SF ? I wouldn't want to weigh unduly on Nuro's finances

And no, I'm not going to take part to the poll

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Xlot @ 10 Oct 2004, 07:52)One question : I read (Cheney - Edwards debate) that web sites are charged by their ISP on the basis of number of hits

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the charges are based on the amount data transmitted rather than the number of hits, so the Lo-Fi version of this site may infact save you time and Nuro Money.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Quite often! Unfortunately, the new format requires you to actually log in to view active topics and because I couldn't be bothered, I will probably visit less in future. I just closed my browser yesterday, without actually logging off, and to my suprise I found that I was still logged in this morning!

So I guess when this happens, the answer is 24 hours a day!

Kind regards

Russell

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (Xlot @ 10 Oct 2004, 00:22)One question : I read (Cheney - Edwards debate) that web sites are charged by their ISP on the basis of number of hits

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't worry. The SlotForum server is not on a pay-for-hits system like this. We pay a fixed monthly fee for a fixed amount of bandwidth. The bandwidth is quite large at the moment and it will get even larger in a week or two...

QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 10 Oct 2004, 06:52)Quite often! Unfortunately, the new format requires you to actually log in to view active topics and because I couldn't be bothered, I will probably visit less in future. I just closed my browser yesterday, without actually logging off, and to my suprise I found that I was still logged in this morning! ...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>As you are a registered member of the forum, there is nothing to stop you selecting "Remember Me" on the login page which will set a cookie on your computer allowing you to automatically login each time you visit. You never have to log-out.

We're encouraging Guests to register as we would like more people to contribute to some of the great discussions on the forum.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I remain logged on constantly exept when I am leaving my computer un atended for a length of time ,holidays for example .

·
Registered
480 Posts
Shame I didnt see Mopeds unedited first post,
but I think its clear from the second & third one what it may have contained.

Well this just seems to me to be another of his pointless threads!
No I'm not voting either.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Apart from 1 hour maintenance downtime at about 10-14 day intervals, one of my PCs remains active 24/365 and is pretty well permanently logged into SF.

That makes it impossible for a poll to meaningfully reflect my frequency!
So no vote from me either.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you read the thread its spirit is designed to help to improve Slotforum and give the mods ideas. Just stating that you are not going to vote is pointless. Why not add your reasons for visiting in the first place?

It occured to me that I do make a lot of visits each day when somebody else said they make around 10 visits each day.

Now given that a proportion of the membership do make a large number of daily visits what is it about Slotforum that causes this phenomenom?

I did link it to withdrawal symptons suffered by club racers initially who only race once each week and this seemed to be taken the wrong way at the start so the post was edited.

My guess is that it is the only Independent European English speaking message board and it is managed by a group of European enthusiasts and so it has a strong European feel.

However this does still not explain why folk visit the site many times daily.

Nuro has indicated that the cost of running the site is not hit related but bandwidth related and the fact is graphics pay the largest part in bandwidth usage. Signitures do use up bandwidth and whilst folk like using them and their use is offered as an option they personally do nothing for me and I don't have one and never have.

But on the other hand interesting images will draw traffic but there again whose bandwidth is being used? Possibly that of the host of the image rather than the Slotforum servers so free image hosting may help to keep Slotoforum costs down.

So basically what can Slotforum do to convert hits and visits into active members?

And make me hit the site even more times than I already do!

Moped

PS The other thing is, is it necessary to retain every message posted since day one. I have noted that there are over 50000 message posted and this in itself must use up storage space if nothing else. If a message/thread has not been read for 180 days or whatever, should you consider the auto delete option?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
NOW, you say,

"If you read the thread its spirit is designed to help to improve Slotforum and give the mods ideas."

Somewhat at variance with previously stated,

". . . was intended to be taken in a lighthearted way
I was just curious . . .etc "

You just make it up as you fumble along, Mop!

"Just stating that you are not going to vote is pointless."
Thank goodness that blinkered mops, unable to see a point, does NOT, in reality, make anything pointless!

On the contrary, it is very useful information in its unambiguous and clearly stated reasoning for making that informed choice.
It just doesn't happen to suit the mopoidal purpose (whatever that might actually be! See above.)

"Signitures (sic) . . . personally do nothing for me and I don't have one and never have."

(and neither does our thoughtfully provided spell checker, apparently!)
You KNOW your statement to be untrue. Mop.
A signature is a signature, whether or not it embodies a photograph.
You most certainly have used a signature AND an avatar, which serves the same purpose as a sig.

"PS The other thing is, is it necessary to retain every message posted since day one. I have noted that there are over 50000 message posted and this in itself must use up storage space if nothing else. If a message/thread has not been read for 180 days or whatever, should you consider the auto delete option?"

Although that is right Off Topic, it is actually a practical and interesting question, which I have often considered.
But it IS very clearly off topic and so I am not going to become an accessory by further developing it here!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
QUOTE ...designed to help to improve Slotforum and give the mods ideas

I expect the mods are as greatful that you have decided to take up and fight for their cause as Scalextric are!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Its not worth putting time splitting a topic. Why not simply start a new thread?

I forgot about SCI and the signature and avatar situation. But I believe Ezboard charge on hits not bandwidth so it wasn't costing anybody anything.

And having analysed why I make so many visits it is because there is so much to read that I don't take it all in on one visit and maybe read 5 or 6 threads over a cup of tea or whatever before moving back to reality. Then when I return I pick up other topics in other sections during the next tea break. And so on.

Moped

1 - 20 of 21 Posts