SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would be interested to know how many variants of their datsun 260z model scalextric made. the only ones that i know of are the mid blue one from the 70's and the paler metalic blue (knightrider?) , green(ish) bison compuers liveried car and the the red shell liveried cars from the 80's. i have always wanted a "zed" since i was a child and my father had "his" which i was only ever allowed to covet!! i have recently picked up two of the 70's cars , one of which will be restored to totally original condition , the other is going to have a "sympathetic" chassis and body modernisation as its days of being returned to pristine are long over.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool.....so this wasn't a limited edition then?
this is the one thats going to have a gentle tug into the 21st century.

·
Registered
627 Posts
not the same car...i have plans for that one if i can get all the old enamel off...but another old girl given a new lease of life.

i dont want to spoil the originality of it but i would quite like to tidy the wear marks on the chrome as the rest of the car is mint! can anyone reccoment what paint/product would "patch in" best? i would rather leave as is than balls it up ,especially as it still has the 260 front number plate.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (jagman77 @ 27 May 2012, 13:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>did you make any progress on this? you can buy replacement bumpers for around £5 or £9.50 ish for front and back if thats an option

no , not really. the old girl is sat in a box. i'm not worried about it enough to put new bumpers on it. i'd rather have used original ones than repro bumpers anyway. i just liked the thought of tidying them up a touch. the rest of the car is lovely and original and it runs sweet as a peach!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Pete: There have been several threads on SlotForum about "chroming" parts. Type "chrome effect" into the search box up to the right. Most of the best paints for this seem to be sprays, so they're costly if you're doing just a few small parts, and you'd have to remove the parts or mask the bodywork very well, but a few people say they've used brush stuff effectively. I haven't had much success with my few attempts.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As Rob mentions, there are some modern chrome effect sprays that work quite well. This product is NOT the typical silver spray paint; it is usually marketed as "chrome", or something to that effect.

To "patch in" spots, it can be applied with a brush. I brush it on and have been pleased with the results. I think it is much better than any bottled "chrome" paint I've ever used.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
I don't know about special editions but as far as mainstream Scalextric releases - the Datsun 260Z was made as follows:

1975 - C053 Datsun 260Z
1986 - C0380 Datsun 260Z (Bison Computers)
1987 - C0101 Datsun 260Z
1990 - C0459 Datsun 260Z (Shell)

1975 was the blue one - plain
1986 was metallic green with decals
1987 appears to be metallic blue - plain
1990 was red - with decals

And that would appear to be it. They actually released the Datsun 4x4 pickup more times than the 260Z!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Rob J @ 28 May 2012, 01:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pete: There have been several threads on SlotForum about "chroming" parts. Type "chrome effect" into the search box up to the right. Most of the best paints for this seem to be sprays, so they're costly if you're doing just a few small parts, and you'd have to remove the parts or mask the bodywork very well, but a few people say they've used brush stuff effectively. I haven't had much success with my few attempts.
Rob J

i spent quite a while trawling through old posts....till i had a headache. it was the match & patch aspect that i can see being a bit of a pain. as i have said , i would rather leave 'em than balls 'em.

QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 28 May 2012, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As Rob mentions, there are some modern chrome effect sprays that work quite well. This product is NOT the typical silver spray paint; it is usually marketed as "chrome", or something to that effect.

To "patch in" spots, it can be applied with a brush. I brush it on and have been pleased with the results. I think it is much better than any bottled "chrome" paint I've ever used.
any particular brand in mind?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Pete: Alclad and PlastiKote have been praised in earlier threads. Both are said to be available in bottles as well as spraycans, and you should be able to get them in England, even in deepest darkest west Cornwall (where my brother lives).
The Alclad and perhaps others need a coat of black underneath, and that coat apparently has to be left for a few days before applying the "chrome".
So far I've only tried another brand which hasn't worked well, but I'm no great painter.
Rob J

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hi,
have a look on some of the model making forums. Alclad is used a lot for painting natural metal finish aircraft and is also used a lot for model cars, but it does need a black undercoat to work and sould really only be sprayed but if only a small patch may work with brush. You can also get a thin metal foil that is rubbed on but again you would probably have to do the whole bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 29 May 2012, 02:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>any particular brand in mind?

Hi petestrike,

As I'm far, far away from Cornwall, I don't know what brands are available to you.

However, I use "Bosny" brand, and it is great stuff. Looking at the label on the can, I notice that there is a London, England registration. And after doing an online search, it appears that Bosny may be a UK product. So I don't know for sure, but perhaps Bosny brand is available in the UK.

I also have heard Halfords mentioned as a readily available brand in the UK, and doing a search reveals that Halfords does produce a chrome spray paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts